Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:53:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dead Can Dance - Dionysus

Started by purlieu, November 02, 2018, 03:50:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purlieu

Gorgeous new album by Dead Can Dance out today. I'm a big fan of most of their albums, but was somewhat underwhelmed by their reunion album the other year, Anastasis. This one feels a lot more expansive (despite being much shorter), probably helped by being effectively two side-long tracks. Might be their most overtly 'ethnic' sounding record to date, and probably their most instrumental-focused too.

Single here.

jamiefairlie

Interesting, will certainly give it a listen. Not too keen on the single though, as you say very heavy on the tribal vibe which isn't really my sort of thing. For me, their heyday was the 'medieval' trilogy - Spleen and Ideal (1985), Within the Realm of a Dying Sun (1987) and The Serpent's Egg (1988). I thought they were the best band in the world at that time.

purlieu

The tribal / ethnic stuff I find hit or miss. I wasn't a fan of Into the Labyrinth so much, as a lot of it was synthesised, which I also felt about Anastasis. This one feels a lot more acoustic, and there's heavy use of field recordings and such that add to the really organic nature of the music. In places it feels like they've left western music behind entirely.

I'm with you in your favourites, though. Those three and Aion are their pinnacle for me.

hedgehog90

I had no idea bout this until now.
Will give it a spin later, really looking forward to it!