Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:10:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

People Just Do Nothing series 5!

Started by New Jack, November 03, 2018, 11:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

New Jack

Ace, it returns on the 12th. Cannot wait, binged the existing episodes in about two days last month, fell in love, made me chuckle like fuck and got me, somehow, really invested in the characters. Chabuddy G is a great, great character.

Anyone else excited, or you just doing nothing?

New Jack

Just us innit!

Man, can't wait. This is gonna be lit, bruv. Thought a UK comedy forum would be championing the best British sitcom for years!

Cuntbeaks

I just hope that their recent rise to fame doesn't mpact the quality.

Utter Shit

Mobius

Also very excited! One of the best shows around.

BANG! LYRICAL BLOW TO THE JAW

Utter Shit

Have any of you seen their 1xtra show? It might be a bit of a chore if you're not into garage as it's an hour long and is a music show ahead of a comedy show, but they get plenty of funny stuff in. My favourite bit is when garage legend MC Vapour ("I remember when I was at school...") gets on the mic to the obviously genuine delight of PJDN, then Grindah follows on playing around a little bit but basically doing 'proper' garage MCing...then Beats comes after him and does a mad little bit that just kills me every time. Will get a link to it when  I'm at my computer.

EDIT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfzC33cnMB0

The Beats bit is at 3.40ish. So silly and brilliant. BAH BIGGIDY BOI BIGGIDY BOI BIGGIDY SOOOOOOUUUND

godber

I'm another big fan of the show and their 1Xtra takeover.

In fact, I love pretty much everything they've done, they're so committed to doing everything in character and getting all the little details spot on - the music, the clothes etc...

Bring on Monday!

Utter Shit

Agreed - I think PJDN is a perfect example of how a real love for something can lead to the most perfect piss-taking of it. They love the garage scene and have a long and successful history being involved with it, so they're really well-placed to see all the silly little details that can be mocked.

I felt like the last series unexpectedly gave a bit of heart to it as well, as you finally came to care about the characters - previously this was only really true of Miche, but Steves became a rounded, likeable character in the last series and I really started to warm to Beats as well. Grindah was still a twat though, hah.

amnesiac

Big fan! I searched out every single YT of them a few years ago trying to find anything with them out of character. I don't like seeing them doing non-PJDN stuff, when Chabuddy G was in that SHIIIIIIIIIT C4 plane crash thing I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you've broken the universe! And when Miche was in that thing where she played an old girlband singer I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOO! I think that ends my examples.

New Jack

Utter Shit

Queneau

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 08, 2018, 08:49:31 AM
My favourite bit is when garage legend MC Vapour

Woah there! That's not MC Vapour who did a track called Computer Love, is it? I remember listening to that track all the time and then my computer died and I lost the files. I have tried finding it for years since to no avail. I was starting to think I made it all up.

As for the show, it was pretty bloody funny in places. Thought it got a bit weaker towards the end, mind. There was a good interview with them in The Observer or The Guardian recently but I can't sodding find it now.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Queneau on November 09, 2018, 03:33:39 AM
Woah there! That's not MC Vapour who did a track called Computer Love, is it? I remember listening to that track all the time and then my computer died and I lost the files. I have tried finding it for years since to no avail. I was starting to think I made it all up.

I don't recognise that name, but a quick look online suggests it was done by the same bloke yeah - sadly all the Google hits are people in the same boat as you, asking if anyone has a copy of Computer Love they can make available, with no success.

Vapour's most famous one was Move Your Body (the one he did in the video I mentioned earlier), that was one of those tunes that didn't make an impact on the charts but was a huge underground hit that everyone knew. The archetypal song you only ever heard as a low quality mp3 played through someone's phone. He also did Halloween which was also an underground hit, albeit to a lesser extent.

Queneau

Quote from: godber on November 09, 2018, 09:18:40 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/oct/27/the-joke-is-always-on-us-how-people-just-do-nothing-struck-comedy-gold

Thank you.

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 09, 2018, 11:43:45 AM
I don't recognise that name, but a quick look online suggests it was done by the same bloke yeah - sadly all the Google hits are people in the same boat as you, asking if anyone has a copy of Computer Love they can make available, with no success.

Vapour's most famous one was Move Your Body (the one he did in the video I mentioned earlier), that was one of those tunes that didn't make an impact on the charts but was a huge underground hit that everyone knew. The archetypal song you only ever heard as a low quality mp3 played through someone's phone. He also did Halloween which was also an underground hit, albeit to a lesser extent.

You have no idea how much I want a copy of Computer Love. I think I initially got in from Napster or something like that when it was good. In my head it is still a brilliant piece of work.

New Jack

"Fire safety for people with sight, hearing and mobility difficulty.

.. Good luck, yknow what I mean?"

Cuntbeaks

Fairly slow start to the new series, a few storylines being set up but not much other than that.

New Jack

It was entertaining enough, setting the pieces up, I laughed at bit at the car boot stuff, and Miche. Wasn't hilarious, but amusing enough. Doesn't seem to be worse or owt like that. Felt a bit disappointing to end last season on Steves getting arrested and we come back and it's mostly dealt with, though.

Glad these boys are back!

Utter Shit

Didn't think it was great, but hopefully as mentioned it's just because it was setting the scene. Stilll some great moments - Chabuds trying to be a cockney geezer at the car boot sale was fantastic and I loved the indifference of everyone at the other radio station. But it didn't fizz the way previous episodes have done. Nowhere near enough Beats, either.

New Jack

I do utterly sympathise with Miche not wanting to lie on a card.

Utter Shit

Oh I meant to mention that in my earlier post - that didn't make any sense, did it? If she has so little feeling towards this woman that she can't think of a single nice thing to say in the card, why did she spend so long making an enormous sign for her? Unless there was a sub-text I missed?

I find Miche quite a frustrating character. She reminds me of Phoebe from Friends or Stacey from Gavin and Stacey - I'm expected to like her (or at least feel sorry for her) but she spends a lot of her time being a bit of an arsehole, especially at work.

New Jack

I think the arsehole thing is totally intentional. She's ignorant to the point of it being nasty. Just not as much as Grindah!

I don't know about the sign though? I was thinking she made it as she was glad to see the back of her, but if so that still wouldn't square with the card hassle. Feels like it was done just for the joke: 'did Angel help you?' 'No'

Utter Shit

Yeah that was my feeling as well, that did make me laugh though the way she just casually says her young daughter is shit at drawing hahaha

Hat FM

the stuff the judge said about Kurrupt didnt really make much sense either. Haven't we already established that they have a fair following albeit cult. also, if it was that small an operation, couldn't they have their equipment back?
Felt bad for steves having his flat messed up after he had made it nice. wonder what his redemption will be come the end of the series. i take it he's stopped believing that Beats baby is his Gran reincarnated?

SpiderChrist

No comments on last night's episode? I larfed my fucking arse off.

imitationleather

Yeah I thought it was very good. Quite surprised it's taken them until series 5 to do an online streaming episode.

Cuntbeaks

Thought it was pretty weak again. The stuff with Beats and Craig went on way too long and was a bit incongruous as Beats hasn't shown that level of devotion towards Craig in any of the earlier episodes.

Queneau

I've watched episode one of this series so far and it's kind of started how the last one ended: uninspired, trying too hard and just not being funny. I genuinely dislike it now. It's not even enjoyable.

Nowhere Man

I enjoyed it, although I don't think it's been as good as previous series so far. So i'd say it's still good, but it's probably for the best if they end it after Series 5.

The only thing I didn't really likes was Miche being actually genuinely unlikeable towards Angel's friend. More unpleasant than funny in that instance. Despite being so passive I was kind of hoping Decoy would have put her in her place about that at least.