Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:05:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

People Just Do Nothing series 5!

Started by New Jack, November 03, 2018, 11:44:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queneau

Quote from: Nowhere Man on November 20, 2018, 08:38:10 PM
The only thing I didn't really likes was Miche being actually genuinely unlikeable towards Angel's friend. More unpleasant than funny in that instance. Despite being so passive I was kind of hoping Decoy would have put her in her place about that at least.

Is there much to like about her at all? The way she talked about Angel being shit at art in the previous episode and not letting her get involved, for example.

There was a funny moment in episode two where Grinder uses shower gel to style his hair only to then go and put his cap on. That was a nice touch.

Nowhere Man

Quote from: Queneau on November 20, 2018, 08:47:55 PM
Is there much to like about her at all? The way she talked about Angel being shit at art in the previous episode and not letting her get involved, for example.

I get that she's behaved pretty bad at times, like being an overbearing control freak over Angel's singing in the last series, but I think there's a line with how unlikeable Miche has behaved over the series, compared to Grinder who doesn't have a limit on his dickishness. Her being so horrible to Angel's friend was for me just a step too far when you consider most of her pigheaded moments tend to happen due to her innate lack of self awareness rather than intentionally destroying her daughter's relationship.

Queneau

Quote from: Nowhere Man on November 20, 2018, 09:46:30 PM
I get that she's behaved pretty bad at times, like being an overbearing control freak over Angel's singing in the last series, but I think there's a line with how unlikeable Miche has behaved over the series, compared to Grinder who doesn't have a limit on his dickishness. Her being so horrible to Angel's friend was for me just a step too far when you consider most of her pigheaded moments tend to happen due to her innate lack of self awareness rather than intentionally destroying her daughter's relationship.

Fair points. I feel like because Grinder is such a dick all the time then she should be providing the non-dickishness around Angel.

New Jack

It's just more of the same. Miche being harsh aside.

So I love it! Was funny, some of the ideas eg. Naive idiot checking negative Internet comments seem to have been done before... But it's still ace. Kind of like the low key ambiance of this episode as it feels like last season ramped the drama right up, though the Decoy stuff is interesting. Craig at Uni was probably the best plot, good continuity with Beats warming to him over the fishing trip.

Comments, yeah? Fuck the internet

arpster

Quote from: SpiderChrist on November 20, 2018, 04:12:51 PM
No comments on last night's episode? I larfed my fucking arse off.

Same here...splendidly funny episode

petril

last night's feels like it's back to being good. Something seemed a bit off with the first three. Grindah being more aggressively cunty without much of a payoff (besides destroying the router, which was someone else's anyway.) Liked the reversal of views either side of the doctor's appointment stuff, and Miche being just overbearing is always amusing.

Steves and the probation officer was a right laugh the whole way through, the realisation of the bath full of fuck off ganja plants behind him as he talks to camera was a cracker of a laugh, as was him Stevesing excuses for everything. Loved Beats taking so long time to understand that Fantasy turned up but they got away with it. Been around so many little incidents of that before. Really hope Beats and Steves get a good ending here.

ending hope:final scene with Grindah in Essex muscling his way into friendships with the local analogues of Beats, Steves and Chabuds. because cunts like that never change because that requires introspection and seeing that something about them isn't perfect. Would really love to see the rest of them paying their subs and thriving between Kold FM and the internet without him.

steveh

That was a wonderfully constructed episode. The whole orange thing turning something so inconsequential into several minutes of comedy with Steves' excitement of sharing the story with everyone was great.

petril

the penultimate bang, lyrical blow to the jaw is in the books then. felt like a good set up for the end of a journey, this one. the first third dragged a bit. loved the jeans stuff. Not sure on Miche being just more cunty though, no idea where a good punchline to that would come from. She's basically taking it out on a young kid. Maybe the Decoy stuff gets revealed?.

The party bit was good, the total indifference was a good wee bit that I never expected, was waiting for either the ironic appreciation or confrontation to finish it off. Loved the pathos throughout, especially at the end with Beats being a good mate, listening and supporting, next to Steves and Chabuds turning up buckled and loving it. And Craig got to look cool in front of folk at uni.

At the end the continuity announcer said there was a special episode coming up, fuck knows what that's about, maybe it's just trying to hype it as the last?

Alberon

If you want to watch the music video they made it actually is up on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hw9Q5FcUVjY

petril

aye, unlisted as well :D

actually cribbed that from the episode

edit: the one from the episode is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHvWb98g6fg

sprocket

Quote from: petrilTanaka on December 11, 2018, 09:16:35 PM
At the end the continuity announcer said there was a special episode coming up, fuck knows what that's about, maybe it's just trying to hype it as the last?

Think that was in reference to them doing something with Top Gear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZlUb0Z-uQU

olliebean

Quote from: petrilTanaka on December 11, 2018, 09:16:35 PMAt the end the continuity announcer said there was a special episode coming up, fuck knows what that's about, maybe it's just trying to hype it as the last?

Seems like it, we've only had 5 episodes this series so the "Special" is just the last of the series, surely?

hummingofevil

Sorry if I'm being Captain Obvious but just checking that you alll know they did a Lost Tapes album release. It's so good

Cuntbeaks

The last few episodes had been great, a real return to form, but the finale just felt really weak and flaccid. There was no drama, no loose ends tied up, no open end, nothing.

It felt like they just ran out of ideas, which isn't surprising I suppose. They had a good run and have bowed out at the right time. Hopefully the film, when it lands, will be a kind of 'final episode', in the that tonight's wasn't.

petril

ffs, what was that last episode. Three good ones in a row, leading up to something... but nothing. It was like the last week of school, the knew they had to do an episode as the end, but there was nothing to that. Not much in the way of laughs. It felt more like a first episode than a last. Chabuds explaining he has a load of dodgy failed business attempts behind him as he's muscled into Steves' flat to set up yet another would've been a perfectly acceptable way to introduce both characters, it's there right off the bat who they are, but this is meant to be the final episode. Even Grindah talking himself up then shitebagging out of spraypainting the school noticeboard was a bit of a "here's what he's like" moment. I know I had a definite expectation coming into this, but there wasn't even anything to wrap anything up. No Decoy/Angel reveal, no hint at what any of the characters might do now Grindah and Miche have moved away. But maybe that's the point. Life's not like that. Sometimes things kind of end and there's no thing to get on with instead, without as much as a little gag to mark that point. Even the bad tattoo gag was shite, felt so rushed out of nowhere.

Maybe they were just saving everything for the eventual film, in which case, why bother wrapping the series up with the move before then? Could've had another episode of them pissing about while Steves handles probation and had the previous episode be the end of the telly. Chabuds getting chucked, Grindah and Beats deciding to retire and Craig being a bit cool would've been a great final episode that left enough open for a film plot, but this was just a wasteman

imitationleather

Chabuddy moving in with Steves felt like either a plot they had left over or something they were planning on building on before they decided to end the series. It didn't really fit in as part of a last episode.

I thought the going to university episode was the last one and was surprised there was another episode in the series. Grindah's birthday felt like a good way to wrap it up, and they mentioned everything coming to an end without dwelling on it for an entire half hour. Which is a far better way to handle it.

The film is going to be them going to Ayia Napa or something, isn't it? Grindah's scared of flying so makes everyone go by bus etc.

olliebean

Quote from: imitationleather on December 18, 2018, 07:28:43 PMThe film is going to be them going to Ayia Napa or something, isn't it? Grindah's scared of flying so makes everyone go by bus etc.

Fucking hell, can't we have an idea for a film of a sitcom that isn't just "they go on holiday?"

petril

they've even got the "getting on proper Radio and that off the back of the series" thing they could use. be a great plot for a film that, the realisation that this cult level of fame is down to the series and not the music, acceptance, milking it or using it as motivation to get better at the music. There's a lot they could do with all three of them and the five Main Ones™ personalities around it.

Mobius

I thought it was really funny, but yeah the Steves/Chabuddy thing definitely felt like a loose end. An odd story for a 'final episode'

But overall I liked it.

Does anyone know what the school was they tagged was? I grew up 5 mins from Brentford and it looked like my school but I can't be sure..

hummingofevil

There is a 90 min interview with Holly Walsh on youtube that is really interesting. One thing Steve (the guy who plays Steve) says is he likes This Is England. Well hopefully he's seen Le Donk And Scor-zay-zee and got a similar idea for a movie. Have them book a huge arena gig on back of their delusions of grandeur. The joke has always been them being losers so for the reveal for it actually be sold out, huge and brilliant would make for awesome finale and worth the effort of seing it on cinema soundsystem with an audience. Maybe a bit of A Mighty Wind vibe to it. Bonus blu-ray film of the full actual concert film.

Hat FM

i think the film should be some kind of speed tribute. they need to keep dj'ing/mc'ing at 90bpm or steves' flat will blow up.

godber

Quote from: Mobius on December 19, 2018, 01:40:41 AM
Does anyone know what the school was they tagged was? I grew up 5 mins from Brentford and it looked like my school but I can't be sure..

It was Richmond College in Twickenham - recognised it as used to work at the Stoop round the corner.

Mobius

Quote from: godber on December 22, 2018, 07:14:24 PM
It was Richmond College in Twickenham - recognised it as used to work at the Stoop round the corner.

Cheers :) Had mates that went to that college and I used to watch the London Broncos at The Stoop regularly!

hummingofevil

I thought that last episode was lovely. Want more but it's a cheesy ending but in keeping with their internal world.

hummingofevil

"Some more than others obviously" was a very funny line.

arpster

Loved the final series...a real return to form ...and worth it just for Steven Spielgirth