Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,185
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:06:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Songs you can't hear without crying

Started by canadagoose, November 03, 2018, 10:03:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

A weird one, maybe, but I'm going to go for "American English" by Idlewild (2002). It just reminds me of being a hopeless teenager, stuck inside my head, thinking of what could be but never was 'cos I was a gutless cunt. It's a great song, which you never really hear on the radio these days, but it's got too many of my old feelings attached to it to be able to listen to it neutrally. I've got a lot of affection for the whole of The Remote Part, but it's all a bit close to the bone, if you know what I mean.

Which songs make you feel like that?

Sebastian Cobb

I have some legitimate entries for this, which I can't remember right now (I'm full of cold and am fixing it with Jura). But last weekend I was listening to Russell Crowe doing a 6 music chilled out sunday (someone must be taking the piss? surely) and he played the Johnny Cash cover of I hung my Head and I got a bit damp eyed for a multitude of reasons. I'll bullet point them right now:

• Jonny Cash is dead
  • This is a really good Johnny Cash song and it sounds like it was made for him
  • And yet it was written by Sting[/i]
    • And produced by Rick Rubin[/i]
      • Who has bought to light some of my favourite artists, but is really a bad producer, in a way[/i]

Sebastian Cobb

I completely fucked up them tags there but I like how they've nested and I'm not fixing them.

Gregory Torso

The silence in my house makes me cry more than any piece of music could.

canadagoose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 03, 2018, 10:36:57 PM
I have some legitimate entries for this, which I can't remember right now (I'm full of cold and am fixing it with Jura). But last weekend I was listening to Russell Crowe doing a 6 music chilled out sunday (someone must be taking the piss? surely) and he played the Johnny Cash cover of I hung my Head and I got a bit damp eyed for a multitude of reasons. I'll bullet point them right now:

• Jonny Cash is dead
  • This is a really good Johnny Cash song and it sounds like it was made for him
  • And yet it was written by Sting[/i]
    • And produced by Rick Rubin[/i]
      • Who has bought to light some of my favourite artists, but is really a bad producer, in a way[/i]
"I Hung My Head" from Mercury Falling? I've never heard Cash's cover of that. Must give it a listen.

Sorry to hear about the silence in your house, Gregory. You could try blasting some Steve Wright repeats and see if you feel better.[/list][/list]

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: canadagoose on November 03, 2018, 11:02:24 PM
    "I Hung My Head" from Mercury Falling? I've never heard Cash's cover of that. Must give it a listen.

Sorry to hear about the silence in your house, Gregory. You could try blasting some Steve Wright repeats and see if you feel better.[/list][/list]

Yes, that's the one
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42D6bUta1gs

I don't recall ever hearing the Sting version. Which is odd because my parents went through an awful period where they LOVED sting and played Fields of Gold relentlessly; around the same time they cained Jimmy Nail's Crocodile Shoes, Simply Red and some of Mark Knophler's worst work.

My dad's music collection is 'interesting' in that his vinyl is genuinely interesting (psych, reggae, funk, british invasion) and his cd's are terrible MOR shite (simply red, jimmy nail, peter gabriel). It's like a changing of the tide.

Sin Agog

Occasionally I'll spin some of the wicked old psyche-folk stuff my mum used to play in my presence from birth and they'll evoke a real visceral reaction in me, like they're racial memories or something.  Got that just t'other day when I threw on Murdoch by Trees.  She used to have crusty old folkies and heads hanging around our house all the time.  Fell in love with most of them.  Am still quite close with Sonja Kristina's son.

Also, I'm rewatching the original Cosmos right now (not the remake by the hacky jock), and the theme is getting me a little misty.

Cuellar

I remember bursting into tears listening to a midi keyboard 'demo' version of When The Saints Go Marching In when I was about 8.

My mother was completely unsympathetic.

Vodka Margarine

The Girl With The Sun In Her Head
    Something Changed
    Where Are We Now?
    7 Seconds
    Decades
    GMF

chveik

Diabologum - Le courage des oiseaux
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYsvONFsFNk

Ennio Morricone/Edda Dell'Orso - La spiaggia
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHSceQhR5gI

Townes van Zandt - A Song For
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Grklxwt-xss

If classical music counts, Sibelius's Violin Concerto gets me everytime.

mojo filters

Sun Kil Moon / Magik*Magik Orchestra's epic live recording of Mark Kozelek's "Somehow The Wonder Of Life Prevails" just slays me every time.

bgmnts

Bright Eyes by Simon or Garfunkel (Watership Down scarred me for life, the cunts)

Coward of the County by Kenny Rogers

sardines

The Delgados 'America Trilogy' for reasons similar to the original post. Wouldn't say I always cry when hearing it but it does cause a lump in the throat and a mix of nostalgia/self loathing for my younger self.

greenman

Quote from: Gregory Torso on November 03, 2018, 10:42:43 PM
    The silence in my house makes me cry more than any piece of music could.

So Mark Hollis's solo career after his debut album?

Jockice

Whole Again by Atomic Kitten of all things. Because I watched it on the Christmas Top Of The Pops with my mum, less than a week after she'd been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Which I think is a fair enough reason, to be honest.

And The Osmonds by Denim, and specifically the line: "In the seventies I was just a kid, still knew what it was all about. I soaked it all in now it's all dripping out." Because I was and it is.

DrGreggles

Quote from: bgmnts on November 04, 2018, 07:15:46 AM
    Bright Eyes by Simon or Garfunkel (Watership Down scarred me for life, the cunts)

That's the girlfriend's one.
    Gets her every time.
    And she's never seen Watership Down.

Americans are weird...

thraxx

Landslide always gets a reaction and Still Life by Suede too.

seepage

Nimrod, played by the band of the Welsh Guards, in the rain

HARD BREXIT NOW

Kane Jones

Quote from: bgmnts on November 04, 2018, 07:15:46 AM

It definitely puts a lump in my throat, this one. Wonderful melody, and the 'how can a light that burned so brightly suddenly burn so pale' bit is goosebump central for me.

Bazooka

Chelsea Dagger by the Fratellis, it is that awful.

Twit 2

Quote from: mojo filters on November 04, 2018, 04:09:33 AM
    Sun Kil Moon / Magik*Magik Orchestra's epic live recording of Mark Kozelek's "Somehow The Wonder Of Life Prevails" just slays me every time.

The choruses on 'Lost Verses', and lots of moments generally across the albums Tiny Cities, Ghosts of the Great Highway and April can bring me to tears, as they soundtracked some incredibly difficult times in my early 20s. Feeling lost and alone, on long walks, on bus and train journeys looking out of the window. Listening to 'Tonight in Bilbao' on a bus across Spain and the melancholy practically scorching me.

alan nagsworth

Susanne Sundfør's "Fade Away" never fails to make me cry. I remember the first time I heard it, around a year ago, out walking one evening in the cold, and it made me stop dead in the street. Just stood there, letting it wash over me, completely awed. It's certainly become one of my all-time favourite songs.

What's strange is that despite being a sad song about a disintegrating relationship and the longing that comes after the break-up (something to which I can relate on a very deep, personal level), what actually makes me cry for the most part is the sheer, soaring beauty of the song's composition. I'm fairly certain they're predominantly tears of joy, but I can accept there's some sadness in there too.

I love the fact that there are songs like this which I can listen to and just weep. I often put them on solely for that purpose. It's not wallowing as such, more like catharsis, getting something out of your system. I find the release to be a wonderful thing.

Another one which always gets me, also a break-up song, is Elliott Smith's "Everything Reminds Me of Her". That song is absolutely fucking devastating. As usual, Smith has managed to paint such an accurate picture of sorrow and despair. I'd go as far as saying it was perfection. The lyrics, my god:

QuoteI never really had a problem because of leaving
    But everything reminds me of her this evening
    So if I seem a little out of it, sorry
    But why should I lie? Everything reminds me of her

The spin of the earth impaled a silhouette
    Of the sun on the steeple
    And I gotta hear the same sermon
    All the time now from you people:

'Why are you staring into outer space, crying?
    Just because you came across it, and lost it...'
    Everything reminds me of her

The sarcastic, embittered way he sings that "sorry" in the first verse is one of his finer little moments. Wanting to be left to deal with his feelings, and he doesn't think he should have to apologise. God, it shoots a hole straight through me.

Sebastian Cobb

If you want bitterness, Arab Strap's The Girl I Loved Before I Fucked is impressively bitter and spiteful, but somehow still manages to be good rather than horrid.

purlieu

Quote from: canadagoose on November 03, 2018, 10:03:00 PM
    A weird one, maybe, but I'm going to go for "American English" by Idlewild (2002). It just reminds me of being a hopeless teenager, stuck inside my head, thinking of what could be but never was 'cos I was a gutless cunt. It's a great song, which you never really hear on the radio these days, but it's got too many of my old feelings attached to it to be able to listen to it neutrally. I've got a lot of affection for the whole of The Remote Part, but it's all a bit close to the bone, if you know what I mean.
    I've been listening to Idlewild all afternoon, funnily enough, and they're a band who got under my skin more than any other band before or since. I can't listen to them without a huge wave of emotion tied to the past. I was listening to them a lot around ten years ago, which was just before I basically entered a huge mental health-related slump of no job or no social life (which I'm still struggling with), which gives their music this really bittersweet feeling: I associate them with having an active, independent life, but also a kind of feeling of the end of something and lots of missed opportunities.

Another would be Vaughan Williams's 'The Lark Ascending'. I can't remember what led to it in particular, but a few years ago I went into a particularly bad shutdown, and curled up into a ball on the floor. My girlfriend couldn't get through to me and was panicking, and the only thing she could think of doing was putting on some music she knew I found comforting, so she opted for a Vaughan Williams compilation which I particularly like. The room had been silent for ages and then suddenly the opening strains of 'The Lark Ascending' came on; I wasn't even aware she'd put the CD on. It definitely helped calm my mood and enabled me to communicate again. Whenever I hear it now it always takes me back to that moment, of feeling so utterly overwhelmed and out of control, but also my girlfriend's love and care for me.

Mercury Rev- Hercules.
    Dead Can Dance- The Host of Seraphim.
    Robin Guthrie- Falling From Grace.
    The Cocteau Twins- Donimo.
    Julee Cruise-  The Mysteries Of Love.

Cloud

That one from Pikachu's Goodbye in Pokemon

Lordofthefiles

Epic Bisto

Chris Bell - You & Your Sister
    Terry Riley - Poppy Nogood & The Phantom Band (especially at half-way mark, there's just something about it that's so crushing)

Z

Gold Day by Sparklehorse and Carissa by Sun Kil Moon are probably the two standouts for me.

Carissa is fairly obvious but I'm not that sure why Gold Day of all the Sparklehorse songs is such an out and out tearjerker for me.