Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:56:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Roxy Music

Started by kalowski, November 03, 2018, 11:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: neigemont on November 25, 2018, 10:52:36 AM
Indeed.

The world-weary voice  in the version of Bitter Sweet used for Berlin Babylon really slays me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXCL2n7MleQ

The way he sings the final line... just wow.

manticore

Quote from: another Mr. Lizard on November 04, 2018, 09:02:13 AM
Before his ridiculous "mock rock" summation of the New York Dolls

I know Bob Harris has since recanted and said he was being an old fogey, but he really seemed amused when he said that, and I've always thought it was actually a good description of what the New York Dolls were and wanted to be. I thought they were mocking rock and themselves, which was part of what people seem to like about them.

I mean he's not exactly annoyed is he?:

https://youtu.be/fQRTFvFO5ho?t=263

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: manticore on December 12, 2018, 01:10:57 AM
I know Bob Harris has since recanted and said he was being an old fogey, but he really seemed amused when he said that, and I've always thought it was actually a good description of what the New York Dolls were and wanted to be. I thought they were mocking rock and themselves, which was part of what people seem to like about them.

I mean he's not exactly annoyed is he?:

https://youtu.be/fQRTFvFO5ho?t=263

who was bothered by it, apart from morrissey, anyway?

manticore

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on December 12, 2018, 01:16:27 AM
who was bothered by it, apart from morrissey, anyway?

The person I was responding to for a start!. And thousands of others, like this bloke:

QuoteHis sneer said it all. The New York Dolls, super-camp street trash teetering around on high heels in lipstick and Empire State hairdos, had just ripped through a proto-punk stormer called Jet Boy, with twin frontmen David Johansen and Johnny Thunders, looking respectively like a dragged-up Jagger and an electrocuted Cher. As the last echoes of their guitars ebbed away, "Whispering" Bob Harris, presenter of The Old Grey Whistle Test, turned to the camera, gave a toothy smirk, and said simply "mock rock".

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/commentators/simon-price-theres-no-going-back-to-the-old-grey-twilight-zone-2341170.html

Google 'new york dolls mock rock' and you'll find lots of people complaining about Harris' 'sneer', 'condescension' etc.

Interestingly okay not that interestingly, Harris doesn't waver in his opinion in 2011:

Quote"Mock rock," said presenter "Whispering" Bob Harris about them on air, with a hint of a sneer. When I met Harris at last week's Folk Awards, I reminded him. "But they were mock rock," he said, sticking to his guns

https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/theartsdesk-new-york-dirty-weekend-new-york-dolls-and-jazz-princess

(Also, later Morrissey said 'I hate the Dolls now' and that he could never listen to another of their records.)

Quote from: manticore on December 12, 2018, 03:40:15 PM
(Also, later Morrissey said 'I hate the Dolls now' and that he could never listen to another of their records.)

what a misery guts Morrissey is. who could hate the Dolls? that stuff is tremendous fun. not self-serious or racist enough for him anymore i'm guessing. although i am genuinely intrigued as to what made him turn on them...

PaulTMA

If Morrissey hates the Dolls then he must have done a dramatic U-turn in the last decade, what's the source for this?  He turned on Roxy and due to "Bryan Ferret", of course.

manticore

Quote from: PaulTMA on December 12, 2018, 04:55:57 PM
If Morrissey hates the Dolls then he must have done a dramatic U-turn in the last decade, what's the source for this?  He turned on Roxy and due to "Bryan Ferret", of course.

Here for both parts of the quote (can't find an original source for the second part):

https://tinyurl.com/y98hs56z

and the original 1984 interview for the 'hate' thing:

QuoteDid you enjoy being that obscure wretch Steven Morrissey, whose sole mission seemed to consist of sending letters about the New York Dolls to the New Musical Express?

No, that was a horrible period and I hate The Dolls now. I was 16 or 17 and went through this mad period of trying to break into music journalism. I also wrote to everyone. I'd receive about 30 letters a day from no-one in particular. I'd enter competitions. I spent every solitary penny on postage stamps. I had this wonderful arrangement with the entire universe without actually meeting anybody, just through the wonderful postal service. The crisis of my teenage life was when postage stamps went up from 12p to 13p. I was outraged.

Are you dismayed that your James Dean book has been re-pressed by Babylon Books?

I hate it, it's a cash-in. The book's been reissued in a way that could only attract Smiths' fans. It has a new cover and a Smiths' picture of me which does sour the whole thing. I'd rather leave the book, if it can be called such a thing, in the past.

http://www.geocities.ws/smithssupernova/interviews/4/morrissey.htm

Morrissey being Morrissey, capricious and also wanting to repudiate a period in his life that he wanted to put behind him. He still wore Dolls t-shirts, as I recall.

PaulTMA

Was Morrissey not behind their reunion though?  Plus there was that 'Morrissey Present New York Dolls' live album from about 2004/5, which I think was from the Meltdown he curated.  I've definiteiy seen a photo of another of their post-reunion gigs, Dublin I think, where you can see Morrissey down the front in amongst all the plebs, waiting for them to take the stage.

I think he was merely talking shite in that much earlier interview.

Bryan Ferry's new album is terrific. The jazz instrumentation really suits the current iteration of his voice, and many of the songs are presented in their now-definitive versions. There's an excellent song called 'Reason or Rhyme' which was kind of spoiled by overproduction the first time he recorded it, but now it emerges as a genuine late period triumph, one of those haunting melodies which seems so intuitively brilliant that you wonder why no one had come up with it before. Lots of great songs salvaged from their 80's murk as well. I would make a new thread, but I don't think there'd be enough interest. Take my word for it though, it's one of the most worthwhile solo things he's done

Head Gardener

some Roxy related clippings what I have

a show the day after their debut was released

the 7" of Pyjamarama wasn't released until March '73 - however the band did play here on Nov 5th

poodlefaker

Watch this brilliant performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SN4aqXCE0Y. I don't care what sort of a dick BF has become in later years, he gets a pass for life just for the clap and tambourine catch at 6.20

manticore

Quote from: PaulTMA on December 13, 2018, 01:12:30 AM
Was Morrissey not behind their reunion though?  Plus there was that 'Morrissey Present New York Dolls' live album from about 2004/5, which I think was from the Meltdown he curated.  I've definiteiy seen a photo of another of their post-reunion gigs, Dublin I think, where you can see Morrissey down the front in amongst all the plebs, waiting for them to take the stage.

I think he was merely talking shite in that much earlier interview.

I'm not a Morrissey fan, but I think it's pretty common for people to have ambivalent relationships with groups, and go through phases of listening to them avidly and then not being able to stand them. I know someone who has that with The Doors for example. It sounds like Morrissey was going through a time when he looked back on his adolescence and its infatuations with horror, as reflected in many of his songs (and then there are songs which are the reverse).

I'm pretty ambivalent about both Roxy Music and The Dolls myself. There are things I like about them and things I don't. Most of For Your Pleasure is a dream though, I'll never stop loving those songs.

pupshaw

Quote from: poodlefaker on December 13, 2018, 04:20:44 PM
Watch this brilliant performance: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SN4aqXCE0Y. I don't care what sort of a dick BF has become in later years, he gets a pass for life just for the clap and tambourine catch at 6.20

Love this and posted this myself in another thread. So grateful to have these Musikladen clips, there would be almost no quality RM on the web.
The OGWT clips are not completely live, and of course TOTP are just visuals too,

Custard

They were great. I've only been delving into them the last few years, but they have so many genuinely wonderful tunes, and the first four albums are stonkingly brilliant. As good as anyone's. Of the later stuff, Same Old Scene and More Than This are among my favourite songs evorrr.

I dunno why Ferry gets so much shit, even now, as he comes across as a nice enough bloke. Great voice, too. A proper pop star, what yer mam fancied, and probably still does

rue the polywhirl

I'm kinda going through a Roxy phase, rather ambivalently. I'm slowly working my way through their albums. I can't muster that much terrible excitement for any of them. They're all consistently alright. Singles tho. Can't get enough of Dance Away and Do The Strand. I'm getting a newfound appreciation for Bryan Ferry having always considered him a bit of a square although I'm a bit apprehensive about exploring all his solo work. Can't believe how much of a popstar-Monty Burns Eno looks in that above photo.

Great Satan

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on December 15, 2018, 10:55:32 PMCan't believe how much of a popstar-Monty Burns Eno looks in that above photo.

And for all that, Eno was the one who was the best at chatting up women, by Ferry's own admission.

Explain that one, incels.

Custard

Brian Eno is also a massive comedy fan, and BrassEye is one of his favourites. And he's bald

He's a Verbwhore, basically

Found out yesterday that the Bryan Ferry version of 'Song to the Siren' from 2010 features Phil Manzanera on guitar, Andy Mackay on Oboe and Brian Eno on synthesizer. Which pretty much qualifies it as the only post-1982 Roxy Music studio track. Nothing spectacular, just a bit of a curio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chiIDKE3YWs

Twed

There's something very disturbing about a video on Bryan Ferry's official YouTube channel having less than 5000 views in five years (song quality not withstanding). Gives me a sense of how easy influence can fade, when one of the BIG pop stars can post a cover of a massively-popular song and it sinks.

NoSleep

He probably does better from CD sales than artists who get many more views on youtube. Similar to King Crimson, who've only just opted to have their catalogue on streaming sites.

Over You is my favourite.  Builds from that deceptively basic beginning to the beautiful and complex instrumental rhapsody at the end.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Twed on July 07, 2019, 03:49:37 PM
There's something very disturbing about a video on Bryan Ferry's official YouTube channel having less than 5000 views in five years (song quality not withstanding). Gives me a sense of how easy influence can fade, when one of the BIG pop stars can post a cover of a massively-popular song and it sinks.

felt compelled to comment on it, since there weren't any. this has never happened to me on yt without it being my own upload or at least summat by me.

it's like 'song to the avalon' but it's quite nice despite the loungey strings.

yeah it's nice but it's a bit fucking 'adult contemporary'. if that's what their reunion album was going to be like, then binning those tracks was probably for the best