Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:41:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy actors that were great but not in much stuff.

Started by Sebastian Cobb, November 04, 2018, 12:52:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Utter Shit

Quote from: Clownbaby on November 05, 2018, 10:11:25 AM
I want to see Jimmi Simpson in more things. As Liam McPoyle and the Lyle The Intern bits on Letterman he's shown he's good at being a really convincing (strangely charming) weirdo. He's got good straight acting chops as well which undercurrents his comedy acting and makes him more convincing when he's leering at Dennis Reynolds or screaming in agony. He's one of them who doesn't really have to be doing anything, if he's in the background of a scene I will be looking at his face cause he's got a funny face.

He's made a fantastic career for himself in Hollywood under the name Scarlett Johansson.

https://twitter.com/beardedgenius/status/852517773674729472

Clownbaby

A favourite of mine is his performance in Under The Skin. Playing a woman and an alien.

AsparagusTrevor

Re: Danny John Jules, he also pops up in Little Shop of Horrors as a backing singer.

Quote from: buttgammon on November 04, 2018, 03:20:05 PM
Benedict Wong, although isn't he doing some superhero bollocks these days? I think I saw his face on a billboard not long ago.
He played 'Asian Sidekick' in Doctor Strange and Avengers Infinity War, alongside fellow Benedict, Benedict Cumberbatch. Sadly he doesn't use his Manc accent.

Actually his character is called 'Wong'. It turns out two Benedicts make a Wong.

Small Man Big Horse

Similar vein of weird little weirdo is Giovanni Ribisi. I love him. I loved him as Ralph in My Name Is Earl. He's not in nearly enough stuff.

He's currently the lead in Amazon's Sneaky Pete, I liked the first season of it well enough but haven't got round to watching the second yet.

QuoteI've been rewatching 3rd Rock From The Sun through again and it's a shame that Kristen Johnston has barely been in anything else since. I know there's a reason for it because she had addiction issues towards the end of 3rd Rock which obviously put her out of work for a while, but it's a shame. She's really charismatic and hilarious. She looks great and can go from gangly and awkward to beautiful and glamorous like that. Fierce.

I didn't know about her addiction issues, that's sad to hear. But she's been in the latest season of Mom each episode so far, though I don't know if she's around for good or if it's only a certain amount of episodes.

bgmnts

I want to see Jimmi Simpson in more things. As Liam McPoyle and the Lyle The Intern bits on Letterman he's shown he's good at being a really convincing (strangely charming) weirdo. He's got good straight acting chops as well which undercurrents his comedy acting and makes him more convincing when he's leering at Dennis Reynolds or screaming in agony. He's one of them who doesn't really have to be doing anything, if he's in the background of a scene I will be looking at his face cause he's got a funny face.

Similar vein of weird little weirdo is Giovanni Ribisi. I love him. I loved him as Ralph in My Name Is Earl. He's not in nearly enough stuff.

I've been rewatching 3rd Rock From The Sun through again and it's a shame that Kristen Johnston has barely been in anything else since. I know there's a reason for it because she had addiction issues towards the end of 3rd Rock which obviously put her out of work for a while, but it's a shame. She's really charismatic and hilarious. She looks great and can go from gangly and awkward to beautiful and glamorous like that. Fierce.

I thought Morgana Robinson was a really precise and surreal mimic of celebs and I wish there'd been another series of The Morgana Show even though it seems to be directly split down the middle with people who loved it and people who didn't rate it at all.

And the obvious one is Chris Morris. Brass Eye, The Day today and  few little bit roles are not enough when you've got that level of screen presence.

Ribisi had his own amazon series recently didn't he?
I was unaware he was a comedy actor I only ever saw him in serious roles and those few episodes of Friends.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on November 05, 2018, 11:24:02 AM
Re: Danny John Jules, he also pops up in Little Shop of Horrors as a backing singer.
He played 'Asian Sidekick' in Doctor Strange and Avengers Infinity War, alongside fellow Benedict, Benedict Cumberbatch. Sadly he doesn't use his Manc accent.

Actually his character is called 'Wong'. It turns out two Benedicts make a Wong.

Benedict Wong is something of a Space Jonah, having been in four different films about space missions running into deadly danger.

Tony Yeboah

Clare Grogan is really good in comedies but hasn't done many.

Shaky

Quote from: buttgammon on November 04, 2018, 03:20:05 PM
Benedict Wong, although isn't he doing some superhero bollocks these days? I think I saw his face on a billboard not long ago.

Benedict Wong is in everything now!

Glebe

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: gmoney on November 05, 2018, 10:27:18 AM
It's always a treat when he does pop up. I don't know if you saw him in House of Cards, but it was as a hacker in a pretty shit branch of the story, but I didn't mind because he was very good.

Given he's doing HOC and Westworld I reckon he's probably out of the sitcom game for the foreseeable.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 06, 2018, 06:04:14 PM
Given he's doing HOC and Westworld I reckon he's probably out of the sitcom game for the foreseeable.

Aye, that's a shame. Not that he isn't equally as good in serious roles so as long as he's in stuff full stop I'm happy

The Giggling Bean

Lee Cornes popped up in Peter Davisons Doctor Who story Kinda. Daniel Peacock also popped up in Sylvester McCoys Doctor Who story The greatest show in the galaxy.

I also seem to recall Lee Cornes had a regular part in Grange Hill as a teacher too.

sillymisslily

Peep Show's full of these. Toni, Saz, Mark's teenage girlfriend, Neil Fitzmaurice, Matt King.

Jockice

Quote from: sillymisslily on November 15, 2018, 10:14:14 PM
Neil Fitzmaurice.

He's brilliant. I never realised he was Ray-Von in Phoenix Nights till I read it somewhere. I'd never have connected him with Jeff in Peep Show otherwise.

Autopsy Turvey

This is different from what I call the Robert Gillespie thread, as Robert Gillespie was in loads of TV comedy but only once in a lead role, whereas this thread seems to be about people who weren't in loads of TV comedy. It's a shame to me that the Oblivion Boys didn't do more telly, I suppose they were sidetracked by Carling Black Label, but they were always so brilliant in The Young Ones and Saturday Live. There was Lazarus & Dingwall, which was good fun, but they deserved at least one other sitcom, one that wasn't such a specific genre spoof, a sort of surrealist London Likely Lads that could run and run, as well as their own sketch show.

MuteBanana

Tom Bennett, the main character from PhoneShop. Show should've been a spring board for him.

Matthew Cottle - Martin from Game On - always felt like he could get away with a few more roles playing to type but he disappeared. One off characters and a regular on Fried and Citizen Khan. Fuckin hell. Shagwit.

Piers Fletcher Dervish

Aside from the great Danny Peacock:
Peter Richardson was hardly seen in anything outside Comic Strip, wasn't he?

David Battley.
Tony Millan.
(Both brilliant bit players in Pythonesque sketch shows)

Mr Banlon

nec1974

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 04, 2018, 12:52:02 PM
Talk of Mike from The Young Ones prompted this. Ryan's quite good but he didn't do much outside of the Young Ones/Bottom.

Another one, carrying on the Rik/Ade tip is Lee Cornes; he was great as Dick Head and Paranoia in Red Dwarf. Aside from that I can only remember him being the science teacher in Grange Hill.
Lee Cornes was also Graham, one of Mel Smith's office colleagues in two series of Colin's Sandwich.

Queneau

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 04, 2018, 12:52:02 PM
Talk of Mike from The Young Ones prompted this. Ryan's quite good but he didn't do much outside of the Young Ones/Bottom.

I've never been a massive fan in all honesty. Seems quite rigid. He plays brothers in an episode of One Foot in the Grave where one of them keeps playing practical jokes.  It features a great scene when Hilary Mason comes in and lets rip. Hilarious stuff.

As for Lee Cornes, yes he was great in all the above mentioned roles - he popped up in PhoneShop too.  He wrote a few episodes of the Mr Bean animation as well.

I'd have liked to seen Richard Pearson in more comedy. He was great as Gary's dad in Men Behaving Badly and was also great as Victor's brother in One Foot in the Grave.

Sebastian Cobb

The GAS MAN! in bottom also appeared as a weird prostitute murderer in Cracker.

EasyToAssemble

It's probably not as funny as I remember it, but BBC's 'Comedy Nation' series (late 90's) had a few lesser-spotted comic actors such as Ricky Grover (mostly doing his Buller character) and Mighty Boosh's Rich Fulcher as a scary/funny Scientology character ("Kirsty Alley!").

Perry Benson is another one that comes to mind. Always seems to tickle me, especially in Summerstown and 15 Storeys High in the pony-in-the-flat episode ("Your parents are divorced. Your mother's a bitch. Your pony's gone, and there's no good reason your dad's flat smells of shit.")

theheliumbroadcaster

I was going to mention Kevin Eldon but now I think about it he has a decent number of appearances on a variety of shows. I do think it's an injustice he hasn't had more prominent roles however.

Flouncer

Pauline Melville is good as Viv's mum in that episode of The Young Ones - she was in Blackadder's Christmas Carol as well. Don't think she was in much else (I've read a book of short stories she wrote which was really enjoyable).

buttgammon

Quote from: EasyToAssemble on December 15, 2018, 01:33:47 PM
Perry Benson is another one that comes to mind. Always seems to tickle me, especially in Summerstown and 15 Storeys High in the pony-in-the-flat episode ("Your parents are divorced. Your mother's a bitch. Your pony's gone, and there's no good reason your dad's flat smells of shit.")

He was also in the wonderful Operation Good Guys. I love his appearances in Fifteen Storeys High, not only as the bloke with the pony but also as the two table tennis-playing brothers.

Small Man Big Horse

The problem I have with Perry Benson is that whenever I see him I'm reminded of Mum and Dad, one of the grimmest, grottiest films I've ever seen.

petril

He was one of the table tennis brothers as well. And Spaz of "Only kids in Britain who never say fu-..." Young Ones fame

remedial_gash

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on December 15, 2018, 10:38:44 PM
The problem I have with Perry Benson is that whenever I see him I'm reminded of Mum and Dad, one of the grimmest, grottiest films I've ever seen.

Mum and Dad was one one of the first (only) films I paid for as a ppv thingy. True it's grim, but he's excellent in it.