Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:52:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dido’s White Flag deserves a reappraisal

Started by BlodwynPig, November 04, 2018, 01:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlodwynPig

Awful. Bland noughties shite.

It just came on in The Senator and for the first time i listened to the instrumentation. Well what fucking instrumentation? Its not even new age synth swathes as they at least convey emotion, even if that emotion is dying whale.

Nothing says 2003 more than this.

Can anyone here remember 2003? If not, this is the reason why.

Any equivalents?

Dont even care if im in wrong subforum

Sebastian Cobb

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 04, 2018, 01:33:53 PM
David Gray

David Beige more like!!

Keep them coming. I wll compile the beigest playlist of the last 18 years and do a CaB radio show.

0 listens

I reckon this slump into beige (great album) post 9/11 is responsible for the current state of society in western democracies.

purlieu

No Angel is a surprisingly decent album at times, largely because the production is surprisingly atmospheric and pretty moody in places. But fucking hell, 'White Flag' is an absolute non-entity of a song.

PaulTMA

Could barely remember the original apart from about half of the chorus when I recently found this Lemon Twigs cover, which I like rather a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrNeG7HIQrc

flotemysost

I posted in another thread quite recently about how crushingly depressing I find the song The Closest Thing to Crazy by Katie Melua. That came out in 2003.

I've just checked and another song which has a similar effect on me, Everybody's Changing by Keane, also came out that year. It's a miracle any of us are still alive to talk about it, to be honest.

Rocket Surgery

canadagoose

Quote from: flotemysost on November 04, 2018, 05:00:24 PM
I posted in another thread quite recently about how crushingly depressing I find the song The Closest Thing to Crazy by Katie Melua. That came out in 2003.

I've just checked and another song which has a similar effect on me, Everybody's Changing by Keane, also came out that year. It's a miracle any of us are still alive to talk about it, to be honest.
I was about to correct you about Everybody's Changing, but apparently it was originally released in 2003, when I only remember it coming out in 2004, which is when it was re-released. Weird.

I remember 2003 really clearly (it came before years became a big, indistinguishable mush like they are now) and I thought White Flag was pretty reasonable at the time. Pretty typical for its time, but still listenable. The Limp Bizkit cover of Behind Blue Eyes was out about the same time and I liked that as well. Hadn't even heard the original before, even though my Dad was a bit of a Who fan.

Rocket Surgery

Quote from: canadagoose on November 04, 2018, 08:08:39 PM
The Limp Bizkit cover of Behind Blue Eyes

Nope, not Youtubing that, not even out of the morbidest of curiousities. I was very much around in 2003; if I did hear that at the time I must have blocked it out as a traumatic memory.

The Culture Bunker

I seem to remember the video for Limp Bizkit's version of BBE having Halle Berry in it, presumably to tie into some film both she and the song featured in.

The song itself - isn't it almost a carbon copy of the original?

PaulTMA

What about Limp Bizkit's cover of Bittersweet Symphony, interpolated with a Motley Crue song, which they released as the single from their Greatest Hitz album
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f229P4hb3ME

BlodwynPig

chveik

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 04, 2018, 09:31:31 PM
What about Limp Bizkit's cover of Bittersweet Symphony, interpolated with a Motley Crue song, which they released as the single from their Greatest Hitz album

desolation

purlieu

I've not actually had the pleasure of hearing one post-Chocolate Starfish Limp Bizkit song until now*, but bloody what was that?! Crikey.

*that said, this EP always intrigued me.

Vodka Margarine

2003 was the point where bands and solo artists who managed to capture all the most mawkish and commercial elements of Radiohead were given prominence, ending up with a whole load of sensitive hurt guy stuff like Aqualung, Damien Rice, Thirteen Senses, Keane and drippy era Snow Patrol in the charts. Dido's dreary Tesco introspection was very much a part of that.

momatt

Quote from: purlieu on November 04, 2018, 10:13:57 PM
I've not actually had the pleasure of hearing one post-Chocolate Starfish Limp Bizkit song
...at a charity do once. He was surprisingly down to earth, and VERY funny.

I feel like RHCP belong here, but they're out a bit time wise. Can't Stop and By The Way were quite bad, and that was nearly 2003, but Dani California and Snow were the real bed shitters.

lebowskibukowski

When is 'The JCB Song' from? Rich Tea biscuit of a tune

Lemming

More like White Flag by Dildo!!

2003 at least had Bring Me To Life by Evanescence, which is one of the best ironically-enjoyed songs of all time, so it all evens out. 2002 was such a powerhouse year that 2003 is allowed to be a bit shit in comparison.

gmoney

Quote from: lebowskibukowski on November 05, 2018, 04:33:40 PM
When is 'The JCB Song' from? Rich Tea biscuit of a tune

Without looking it up I reckon 2006. Had an argument with a bloke at work who loved it. I think I went in too hard. These days I wouldn't even mention it.

Brundle-Fly

What was the second Starsailor album, Silence Is Easy like? Wasn't it produced by a convicted murderer in a bubble wig Phil Spector?  Much cop? I always found them a bit po-faced.

PaulTMA

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on November 05, 2018, 11:52:46 AM
2003 was the point where bands and solo artists who managed to capture all the most mawkish and commercial elements of Radiohead were given prominence, ending up with a whole load of sensitive hurt guy stuff like Aqualung, Damien Rice, Thirteen Senses, Keane and drippy era Snow Patrol in the charts. Dido's dreary Tesco introspection was very much a part of that.

2003: The Year Punk Broke

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: purlieu on November 04, 2018, 10:13:57 PM
I've not actually had the pleasure of hearing one post-Chocolate Starfish Limp Bizkit song until now*, but bloody what was that?!

Golfing music. An anthem for beyond the ninth hole.

Sean Ymphs

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 05, 2018, 08:34:38 PM
2003: The Year Punk Broke

That happened a couple of years later actually:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLyw7jytykE

This was an absolutely miserable time to be a teenager.

Enzo

For about 5 years in the early noughties this seemed to be on the Kerrang TV channel every 20 mins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc3Za3jfvJg

EDIT: Bonus desolation post from the comments

PlanktonSideburns

jobotic

For once I'm glad I'm older than a lot of you. We just had to listen to Step On by Happy Mondays over and over again, although that is bloody awful too.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: jobotic on November 05, 2018, 10:22:51 PM
For once I'm glad I'm older than a lot of you. We just had to listen to Step On by Happy Mondays over and over again, although that is bloody awful too.
I'd quite happily listen to that than any of the utter grooveless toss Oasis shat out into the world, which is what I had to put up through my teens.