Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:39:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dido’s White Flag deserves a reappraisal

Started by BlodwynPig, November 04, 2018, 01:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pingers

Quote from: PaulTMA on November 05, 2018, 08:34:38 PM
2003: The Year Punk Broke

I reckon the ground was laid in 1997: At the River by Groove Armada. There are few better invitations to get a bit of filthy acid techno on. I never liked them and later they did a deal to have their music released by Bacardi - VINDICATION!

Looking at the big hits of the year I remember an utter loathing of Where Is The Love and Ignition too. I was working in a warehouse at the time and was subject to the hideous local station that used to loop the same 40 songs every evening, and these two were particularly upsetting.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: jobotic on November 05, 2018, 10:22:51 PM
For once I'm glad I'm older than a lot of you. We just had to listen to Step On by Happy Mondays over and over again, although that is bloody awful too.

I think it was I think we are alone now by Tiffany for me. Although in retrospect not as awful as 2003.

BlodwynPig

purlieu

Quote from: Pingers on November 05, 2018, 10:57:33 PM
I reckon the ground was laid in 1997: At the River by Groove Armada.
Oh God, this song. The utter beigeness of it only punctured by my desire to know what they're offering if I'm fond of sand dunes and salty air, quaint little villages here and there.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 06, 2018, 01:56:43 AM
I found one good song from 2003
There were some great albums from A Silver Mt Zion, Belle & Sebastian, Autechre, Carbon Based Lifeforms, Current 93, Secede, The Cooper Temple Clause and Nurse With Wound (and I'm still very fond of Hell is For Heroes's debut), but looking at my collection, I don't have much else. A collection of late '80s acid tracks from Humanoid and a shed load of remastered CD reissues aside. I undoubtedly had a lot more in the past, but most of that has been sold.

Quote from: hedgehog90 on November 05, 2018, 06:57:31 PM
JACK JOHNSON.

I work in a GP surgery on a Wednesday and every lunchtime, either they play a Jack Johnson album or Ronan Keating's Greatest Hits. Desolation.

Captain Z

2003 was my first year at uni, and the song that sticks out most in my mind from those first heady nights out is 'Last Train Home' by that band that shouldn't be mentioned.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Captain Z on November 06, 2018, 06:23:48 PM
2003 was my first year at uni, and the song that sticks out most in my mind from those first heady nights out is 'Last Train Home' by that band that shouldn't be mentioned.

Ugh

Pingers

Quote from: purlieu on November 06, 2018, 03:41:08 PM
Oh God, this song. The utter beigeness of it only punctured by my desire to know what they're offering if I'm fond of sand dunes and salty air, quaint little villages here and there.

They know a lovely little place, only two grand for the week. It's like some dreadful record company creature thought "dance music is alright, but can we have something that appeals specifically to middle class people from South London?". Utter spittle.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: flotemysost on November 04, 2018, 05:00:24 PM
I posted in another thread quite recently about how crushingly depressing I find the song The Closest Thing to Crazy by Katie Melua. That came out in 2003.

I've just checked and another song which has a similar effect on me, Everybody's Changing by Keane, also came out that year. It's a miracle any of us are still alive to talk about it, to be honest.

Both of those songs make me want to burst into tears, they go out of their way to make me feel sick and bereft of hope. I'm not exaggerating for hilarious comic effect, in all seriousness they trigger depressive thoughts.

The lyrical content of that Keane song is ostensibly quite melancholic anyway, but it's not that. I don't find it affecting on that level. The actual sound is depressing, but not in a cathartic way. It's like like listening to an IKEA coffee table bemoaning its existence while shedding floods of tears on your equally suicidal carpet.

I was actually quite happy in 2003, that's the tragedy.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 05, 2018, 10:50:16 PM
I'd quite happily listen to that than any of the utter grooveless toss Oasis shat out into the world, which is what I had to put up through my teens.

While I do like some early Oasis tunes, they really were one of the stiffest, whitest rock bands ever. All rock, no roll. Noel blamed their original drummer, Tony Whassisname, for that, but even when yer boring yet more technically adept Mod bloke took over, they were still incapable of getting into an actual groove.

They probably grooved a bit more with Zak Starkey behind the kit, but the jig was up by that point anyway.

I mean, I have no problem with straight-ahead rock if it's good fun, hence why I like early Oasis, but this was a band who cited the Stones and the Beatles as an influence. Charlie Watts always swung and Ringo had his own distinctive groove. He came up with interesting drum patterns. Oasis always sounded like a bunch of blokes playing bar chords to a click track.

Ferris

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 04, 2018, 01:33:03 PM
Awful. Bland noughties shite.

It just came on in The Senator and for the first time i listened to the instrumentation. Well what fucking instrumentation? Its not even new age synth swathes as they at least convey emotion, even if that emotion is dying whale.

Nothing says 2003 more than this.

Can anyone here remember 2003? If not, this is the reason why.

Any equivalents?

Dont even care if im in wrong subforum

The Senator is shite isn't it? As is Dido's White Flag.

Here endeth the lesson.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 07, 2018, 12:52:54 AMI mean, I have no problem with straight-ahead rock if it's good fun, hence why I like early Oasis, but this was a band who cited the Stones and the Beatles as an influence. Charlie Watts always swung and Ringo had his own distinctive groove. He came up with interesting drum patterns. Oasis always sounded like a bunch of blokes playing bar chords to a click track.
At the time (mid/late 90s), I felt I was the only person in the world who couldn't see any links between Oasis and the Beatles. I've said before, Oasis were like a dodgy Slade tribute band, but the latter were a) fun and b) in possession of a great rhythm section.

The Burnage mob made the Ramones seem like Sly and the Family Stone in terms of creating groove, which I guess I need from my rock music. The whole Britpop thing mainly passed me by, despite being born in 1981, but at least Supergrass (for instance) had a bassist capable of moving his left fingers more than just on a chord change.

PlanktonSideburns

BlodwynPig

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on November 07, 2018, 03:42:21 AM
The Senator is shite isn't it?

What are you talking about? It's the best breakfast in town.

purlieu

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on November 07, 2018, 12:52:54 AM
While I do like some early Oasis tunes, they really were one of the stiffest, whitest rock bands ever. All rock, no roll. Noel blamed their original drummer, Tony Whassisname, for that, but even when yer boring yet more technically adept Mod bloke took over, they were still incapable of getting into an actual groove.
I honestly think Tony McWhatsit had far more groove than Alan White. There was still a touch of Madchester to his drums, but Alan White was all about endless fucking tom-toms. Plod plod boom boom. 'Some Might Say' stands out a fucking mile on Morning Glory because it actually uses ride cymbals and has a bit of syncopation.

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 07, 2018, 09:31:30 AM
At the time (mid/late 90s), I felt I was the only person in the world who couldn't see any links between Oasis and the Beatles.
There's the odd song - 'Whatever' is blatantly Beatles-inspired, and some of the later stuff written by Liam, plus the 'All Around the World' video - but on the whole, they don't sound much like The Beatles. I've seen people say 'everything they did ripped off The Beatles', and I always want examples, because I don't hear it either for the most part. There's definitely much more of a '70s sound in there, with the duel electric and acoustic guitars, the ploddy drums. They didn't do '60s-sounding stuff, really, until Don't Believe the Truth.

Icehaven

I remember hearing this awful piano dirge from Keane in about 2003/2004ish which contained the lines;

Oh, simple thing, where have you gone?
I'm getting old, and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired, and I need somewhere to begin

and thinking "Old and tired? Aren't you about 25 ffs?" Say what you like about The Libertines but at least they didn't sound like, well, that. 

Quote from: purlieu on November 07, 2018, 03:29:32 PM
I honestly think Tony McWhatsit had far more groove than Alan White. There was still a touch of Madchester to his drums, but Alan White was all about endless fucking tom-toms. Plod plod boom boom. 'Some Might Say' stands out a fucking mile on Morning Glory because it actually uses ride cymbals and has a bit of syncopation.
There's the odd song - 'Whatever' is blatantly Beatles-inspired, and some of the later stuff written by Liam, plus the 'All Around the World' video - but on the whole, they don't sound much like The Beatles. I've seen people say 'everything they did ripped off The Beatles', and I always want examples, because I don't hear it either for the most part. There's definitely much more of a '70s sound in there, with the duel electric and acoustic guitars, the ploddy drums. They didn't do '60s-sounding stuff, really, until Don't Believe the Truth.

You know Whatever is a total rip of How Sweet To Be An Idiot? by Neil Innes?

Funcrusher

Quote from: purlieu on November 07, 2018, 03:29:32 PM

Totally agree. 'Supersonic' is the only Oasis track with any kind of a groove.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Funcrusher on November 09, 2018, 01:17:40 PM
Totally agree. 'Supersonic' is the only Oasis track with any kind of a groove.

Live Forever is all about the drums too. With McCaroll on drums Oasis were kinda charming. When White joined because Noel had a bigger "vision" it made you realise the elder Gallagher was not only a wanker but also a bit of wank.

Quote from: canadagoose on November 04, 2018, 08:08:39 PM
I was about to correct you about Everybody's Changing, but apparently it was originally released in 2003, when I only remember it coming out in 2004, which is when it was re-released. Weird.

I remember seeing an interview with a guy who was involved in making No Angel and that Keane album and him saying he told the lads from Keane that the Dido sound is what they needed to be aiming for if they wanted a hit and he was the man to do it. He looked and sounded like a nonce.

PlanktonSideburns

New Jack

Possibly the worst tribute to Wire's seminal debut album I've ever heard

Vodka Margarine

2003 was also the peak of the Nu Metal dregs, the nerdy betas still mooching around at the house party long after Limp Bizkit had trashed the place and fucked off with Papa Roach and Korn's girlfriends. That big Evanescence hit was the best it got, a decent enough slice of crossover power ballad pop. Sadly, we also had big shorted, post Kiedis a-dip-dip-dippy-dippy white guy comedy rap scum like Hot Action Cop. This is quite simply one of the worst things to emerge in the name of creative endeavour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAURo0rwt6g

PlanktonSideburns

Jesus  christ

Mark Lammar continues to dissapoint

Dannyhood91

Quote from: Vodka Margarine on November 11, 2018, 01:51:30 AM
2003 was also the peak of the Nu Metal dregs, the nerdy betas still mooching around at the house party long after Limp Bizkit had trashed the place and fucked off with Papa Roach and Korn's girlfriends. That big Evanescence hit was the best it got, a decent enough slice of crossover power ballad pop. Sadly, we also had big shorted, post Kiedis a-dip-dip-dippy-dippy white guy comedy rap scum like Hot Action Cop. This is quite simply one of the worst things to emerge in the name of creative endeavour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAURo0rwt6g

That sounds like Weird Al but with none of the childlike magic.

MuteBanana

Thread should be about No Angel. I loved that album.