Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,574,321
  • Total Topics: 106,599
  • Online Today: 546
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 05:18:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How do you feel about A Certain Ratio?

Started by Twed, November 04, 2018, 04:37:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

I really like them. Joy Division with an acid funk edge.

If you're not familiar with them and have an hour to spare, give this compilation a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COOJ3icebI0

Or just give Do The Do, Shack Up, Knife Slits Water and Touch a go.

I have this fundamental idea that I'm supposed to find them shit (maybe the fault of the movie 24 Hour Party People), but ultimately this sound appeals to me very much.

Sin Agog

I once went to their home town and accosted several passersby. "I'm looking for a certain ratio," I told them, but no one could help me.

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 04, 2018, 04:50:22 PM
I once went to their home town and accosted several passersby. "I'm looking for a certain ratio," I told them, but no one could help me.

Someone must have left it underneath the carpet

NoSleep

Funcrusher

I love A Certain Ratio, particularly Flight and the whole of To Each. Anyone who says they're shit is an idiot. The shorts were not the best sartorial idea, but otherwise they're ace.

NoSleep

Quote from: Special K on November 04, 2018, 05:06:34 PM
Someone must have left it underneath the carpet

Do you reckon Jonathan Richman named his band from the same song? (EDIT: probably not, as they were around in 1970).

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on November 04, 2018, 05:07:57 PM
Someone beat me to it more like.

And I'm lagging waaayy behind.

I'm proud of you CaB.

Twed

buttgammon

Quote from: NoSleep on November 04, 2018, 05:16:30 PM
Do you reckon Jonathan Richman named his band from the same song? (EDIT: probably not, as they were around in 1970).

I've sometimes wondered if Eno actually took his lyric from the band. He did like little nods to bands, what with King's Lead Hat (an anagram of Talking Heads, who he was working with at the time).

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Twed on November 04, 2018, 04:37:22 PM
If you're not familiar with them and have an hour to spare, give this compilation a listen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COOJ3icebI0

Blocked in the UK.

Twed

NoSleep

Quote from: buttgammon on November 04, 2018, 05:26:43 PM
I've sometimes wondered if Eno actually took his lyric from the band. He did like little nods to bands, what with King's Lead Hat (an anagram of Talking Heads, who he was working with at the time).

Possibly, as he was working with Cale (who had produced tracks, in '72, that would be included on the Modern Lovers' first album) the same year as he was making Taking Tiger Mountain.

Sin Agog

Quote from: buttgammon on November 04, 2018, 05:26:43 PM

I'm sure he was just an early Richman fan.  He did compile that No New York comp in 1978, which was way ahead of the curve on so many things.

Anyway, soz, Twed.  I found the insinuations of naffness in 24 Party People really odd, as I'd heard Soul Jazz's Early comp of, well, early singles, sessions and odds n sods, and it was rock solid (edit: or the thing you linked to in the very first post).  They're not a band I could ever LOVE, and I usually find the girls at the time did the dance-punk stuff better, like Bush Tetras, Au Pairs, Liquid Liquid, Kleenex and the like, but they're hard to criticise.  Fave track is their Peel session of Choir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C5QRbIOpQI

NoSleep

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 04, 2018, 05:45:45 PM
I'm sure he was just an early Richman fan.  He did compile that No New York comp in 1978, which was way ahead of the curve on so many things.

Their first album came out in '76, so he would have to have seen them live in the US or was party to hearing their unreleased recordings (which could well have happened via Cale). Maybe they supported Roxy Music in the US.

Sin Agog

Quote from: NoSleep on November 04, 2018, 05:52:03 PM
Their first album came out in '76, so he would have to have seen them live in the US or was party to hearing their unreleased recordings (which could well have happened via Cale). Maybe they supported Roxy Music in the US.

Cale covered Pablo Picasso in '75, and Eno, Nico, Ayers and Cale did that live album together in '74, half a year before Taking Tiger Mountain came out, so it almost definitely has to be the Cale connection, doesn't it?  I've never felt more Woodward & Bernsteiny before in my life.

NoSleep

Chris Thomas had produced both Paris 1919 and For Your Pleasure, so the connection with Cale goes at least that far back ('73).

jamiefairlie

Excellent at their best but truly dismal for much of their career. Peaked right at the start and went downhill fast. This is fantastic https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bfmUUvbtfLM