Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 02:09:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Phrases you forget aren't real phrases

Started by Thursday, November 04, 2018, 07:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Or have perhaps become real phrases through the ubiquity of people referencing it.

"Mad as a Lorry" saw someone using that and genuinely forgot it was entirely invented for the madometer.

magval

I say "proof if proof be need be" too often because I forget it's a nonsense phrase from The Day Today.

Lordofthefiles

DrGreggles

Bronzy

Sebastian Cobb

Icehaven

"You people have held me back long enough, I'm going to Clown College."

Chollis

It's not a comedy phrase/by a comedian but still a phrase that's replaced the old one for me:

"Fool me once, shame on.... shame on you. Fool me..... you can't get fooled again."

Bingo Fury

Maurice Yeatman

I say shazbot instead of shit in front of my niece and nephew. They think I've made it up myself but one day Netflix will show them I'm non-creative garbage.

bgmnts

"Bunsen burner, nice little earner".

"You're shit ahh, you're shit ahh, you're shit ahh".

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Bingo Fury on November 05, 2018, 02:07:03 AMGot to be "gay as a window".

Quote from: RedRevolver on November 05, 2018, 03:04:41 AMMoon on a stick.

These were the first two that came into my head. Also, "You lying get" comes up often, and I struggle to refrain from singing "That's fucking teamwork" it anyone mentions teamwork.

studpuppet

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on November 05, 2018, 10:07:02 AM
Also, "You lying get" comes up often

I'm sure there's loads of Big Night Out stuff I say without realising it, "Or AM I?!" being one of them.
Probably a lot of Comic Strip ones as well, thinking about it...

Whenever they're on the radio: "The EAGLES! Everybody loves The Eagles!"

Whenever someone in my family wants to play some kind of game, I always reply with, "Not Fatty's game."

EOLAN

Anytime people are in a rush in real life or on a programme I always feel compelled to shout "Hurry, Hurry, Hurry" in the voice (and you won't be expecting this) of Michael Palin at the end of the Spanish Inquisition episode as they are rushing to get to the court.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: studpuppet on November 05, 2018, 10:16:12 AMProbably a lot of Comic Strip ones as well, thinking about it...

Whenever they're on the radio: "The EAGLES! Everybody loves The Eagles!"

"I hate the fucking Eagles, man"

Bronzy

KennyMonster

Quote from: magval on November 04, 2018, 08:08:54 PM
I say "proof if proof be need be" too often because I forget it's a nonsense phrase from The Day Today.

I find myself using this at work sometimes.

popcorn

Quote from: RedRevolver on November 05, 2018, 03:04:41 AM
Moon on a stick.

This one more or less has entered everyday lexicon, hasn't it? It's even in a Radiohead song (Lotus Flower), and I doubt it was a reference to Lee and Herring.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on November 05, 2018, 10:07:02 AM
These were the first two that came into my head. Also, "You lying get" comes up often, and I struggle to refrain from singing "That's fucking teamwork" it anyone mentions teamwork.

us smoggies would call each other out on tall stories or exaggerations with "you lying get" when I was a kid on teesside in the 70s. so.

Sebastian Cobb

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on November 05, 2018, 06:07:03 PM
us smoggies would call each other out on tall stories or exaggerations with "you lying get" when I was a kid on teesside in the 70s. so.
On the other end of the A66, they take great pride in being fibbing gits, hence having the annual "World's Biggest Liar" competition.

Or am I lying about that?

Bronzy

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on November 05, 2018, 08:01:13 PM
On the other end of the A66, they take great pride in being fibbing gits, hence having the annual "World's Biggest Liar" competition.

Or am I lying about that?

you wouldn't let it lie...

Lordofthefiles

"I'm not the kinda person to say atoadaso, but you know what?, A-fuckin-toadaso"

king_tubby

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on November 07, 2018, 01:02:18 PM
"I'm not the kinda person to say atoadaso, but you know what?, A-fuckin-toadaso"

Worst case Ontario.

H-O-W-L

"Babytown Frolics" and "Shantytown situation" to describe scenarios.
Also it's hardly direct comedy but because of the video game Payday 2 I always go "Shoite" instead of "Shit" when saying it in reaction to something because I always play the Irish lass or the Aussie, both of whom do exactly that. It gets me weird looks.