Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:00:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Phrases you forget aren't real phrases

Started by Thursday, November 04, 2018, 07:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

The phrases that pop into mind regularly include:

"You've got nice tits... Denise."

"Who wants to shag Bamber Gascgoine? Not even Mrs Gascgoine."

"It made me laugh." "I agree. It made me laugh. A lot."

"Have you ever noticed...?"

"I'm doing it, I'm doing it!"

"Bleeding radiators!"

"Not being rude. I'm being funny."

I watched that Coogan video a lot when I was younger.

jobotic

I say "I'm doing it I'm doing it" in Duncan Thickett's voice a few times a week.

I also always say "I'll have two from the top and one from the bottom" before engaging in sex .

Jumblegraws

A girl at work picked up the phrase "it's a pain in the padded ass" from an ex and didn't realise it was a makes-more-sense-in-context line from Mrs Doubtfire

kalowski

Quote from: jobotic on November 07, 2018, 05:54:37 PM
I say "I'm doing it I'm doing it" in Duncan Thickett's voice a few times a week.

I also always say "I'll have two from the top and one from the bottom" before engaging in sex .
Ha ha.

Occasionally, when I'm happy I shout out "Stockport Viaduct!" or "Rochdale Multi storey car park!" But if I do the latter I can't help following it with, "But who's this hiding here. It's our old friend, Barry White." (Not the singer, but an orphans of the same name).

purlieu

Several times I've spoken about 'Peter's Mad Thoughts' before realising that, actually, not many people have read the Fist of Fun book, and won't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Another 'proof if proof be need be' here too.

neveragain

Dannyhood91

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: neveragain on November 09, 2018, 11:11:48 AM
Tree fiddy.
That's one that seems to have transcended South Park, along with "that makes me a sad panda" which I've heard said by people I know don't watch the show.

I'm pretty sure "moon on a stick" was around long before Lee & Herring.

Someone could Mandela me otherwise though.

popcorn

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 09, 2018, 03:12:01 PM
I'm pretty sure "moon on a stick" was around long before Lee & Herring.

Someone could Mandela me otherwise though.

Now I want to know. Can anyone find an earlier instance?

DrGreggles

I'd always assumed it was something from Herring's schooldays. He was never shy about mining that for material.

FredNurke

'To ask / cry for the moon' has been around for a long time, but I can't find any instances of 'moon on a stick' before 1996, when it shows up in largely self-conscious contexts in a number of UK Usenet groups. If Lee and Herring didn't actually coin it, they're certainly responsible for popularising it.

New Jack

I assume Popcorn did look themselves, buuut I did find an amusing Italian question about the meaning of the phrase. They have something similar, about wanting the moon.

But aye, the stick part. Nowt. No etymologies or owt. It's Lee and Herring. Unless it's super obscure, but I love googling idioms to see what the hell they meant originally, just seems there's nothing more to find on moon on a stick.

Ergo wanting to know its full history is like wanting the moon on a stick!... Soz.

Quote from: AsparagusTrevor on November 09, 2018, 12:36:11 PM
That's one that seems to have transcended South Park, along with "that makes me a sad panda" which I've heard said by people I know don't watch the show.

Ah, that's where that sad panda thing comes from. If only I'd known before beheading and burning them all.

kalowski

olliebean

Quote from: FredNurke on November 11, 2018, 02:35:19 AM
'To ask / cry for the moon' has been around for a long time, but I can't find any instances of 'moon on a stick' before 1996, when it shows up in largely self-conscious contexts in a number of UK Usenet groups. If Lee and Herring didn't actually coin it, they're certainly responsible for popularising it.

Sweeney Todd (Sondheim, 1979) has "Had her chance for the moon on a string." I expect the phrase "moon on a string" has been around longer than that (the line in It's a Wonderful Life alluded to by the above cartoon seems to reference the idea), although that's the earliest example I can find with a perfunctory Google.

I assume Lee and/or Herring either mis-remembered the phrase having heard it in their youth, or (more likely) altered it to make it funnier (we all know that timeless rule of comedy, that words with a "k" sound in them are funnier, right?)

Replies From View

clarkgwent

Has anyone any idea where to see that "Lee and Herring meet Moon Unit Zappa" interview?

She looks mighty perplexed by that phrase, if memory serves.

popcorn

Quote from: New Jack on November 11, 2018, 02:47:52 AM
I assume Popcorn did look themselves

In fact I did, though not very hard. The best clue I could find was an Urban Dictionary entry saying that Lee and Herring "popularised" it. Which still doesn't mean they didn't invent it.

And aye, there are lots of moon-related idioms of similar meaning, but it's the stick we need.

popcorn

Here's one I'm wondering about at the moment: does "dicks in the wind" originate with the movie JFK?

"Khrushchev sent the missiles to resist the invasion, Kennedy refused to invade and we were standing out there with our dicks in the wind."

It feels like something I've heard a lot, but when you google "dicks in the wind" you mainly get JFK clips.

popcorn

BOMBSHELL

Just asked Richard Herring on Twitter if they invented "moon on a stick" and he said "We didn't. It was an existing phrase."

olliebean

Which doesn't rule out the possibility that they were misremembering "moon on a string."

Quote from: olliebean on November 11, 2018, 07:02:11 PM
Which doesn't rule out the possibility that they were misremembering "moon on a string."

Follow this link and it references a 1994 biography of Billie Holiday written by a guy from Wisconsin born in 1940.

https://en.m.wiktionary.org/wiki/moon_on_a_stick

DrGreggles

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but, now I've had my coffee, I've just seen a quick reply email I'd sent about an hour ago to someone called Bob which was sitting atop my 'Sent' folder.

Like I said, I hadn't had my coffee...

Lordofthefiles

"That's the kind of guy I am"

- Kirk St Moritz off of Dear John (...and me whenever someone points out that I'm being obnoxious or suchlike).

Norton Canes

"Ooh, pardon!" (or rather, I forget it's from a spoof comedian and not a real one)

"As soon as is likely" from the Mr Dalliard "brothels" sketch. I use it all the time without thinking. Nobody ever picks up on it.

ASFTSN

Not so much aren't real phrases, but ones that enter my head as standard figures of speech all the time.

"There's something wrong!" as screamed by Dan Ashcroft at the crowd of baying Idiots at the end of that Nathan Barley episode.

"That don't matter. None of this matters." as dejectedly muttered by Carl Brutananadilewski. Works in so many situations in my life.

"Never talk to your neighbours. They're all NUTTERS." - Vince Clark, 15 Storey's High

and of course....

"Pissing's just horseplay"

Cold Meat Platter

As others i'm sure have mentioned on here previously, I am fond of describing people as "scum, subhuman scum," which may come across as judgemental to non-Partridge liking types (scum, subhuman scum).