Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:00:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Comedy Phrases you forget aren't real phrases

Started by Thursday, November 04, 2018, 07:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Trouser

I use the phrase "i'll nick your brylcreamed arsehole sunshine!" a lot, and in a wide variety of contexts, and my wife now uses it as well.

I cannot remember for the life of me where it's from - something to do with a policeman shouting at a ne'er do well - but it is ingrained in  the Trouser household lexicon

Bennett Brauer

Quote from: Dr Trouser on December 03, 2018, 02:20:19 PM
I use the phrase "i'll nick your brylcreamed arsehole sunshine!" a lot, and in a wide variety of contexts, and my wife now uses it as well.

I cannot remember for the life of me where it's from - something to do with a policeman shouting at a ne'er do well - but it is ingrained in  the Trouser household lexicon

Jonathan Creek?

Dr Trouser

fucking hell yes! it appears so - shouted by George from George and Mildred apparently

Not really a comedy was it though Johnathan Creek?

I used "equals pequals" in conversation the other day. Thought it sounded a bit odd said out loud before it dawned on me this was Jez and Mark's version of "even Stevens" and not in common usage. My colleague either knew their Peep Show or were too polite/bored to ask.

kngen

biggytitbo

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on December 03, 2018, 03:58:51 PM
'The hottest weather since weather began.'

I used Ollies 'A lot of weather we've been having lately!' quite a lot.

Chollis

Me and most of my family use 'Scorchio, scorchio'  when it's hot. That's well racist now isn't it

The Lurker

"There's your answer, Fishbulb"

I once said that to a friend who doesn't like The Simpsons (I know, right?) and got a very puzzled look.

kalowski

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 03, 2018, 01:28:15 PM
As others i'm sure have mentioned on here previously, I am fond of describing people as "scum, subhuman scum," which may come across as judgemental to non-Partridge liking types (scum, subhuman scum).
Such a funny line, but I too have discovered that use of this line is audience specific.

mojo filters

Quote from: kalowski on December 03, 2018, 06:09:14 PM
Such a funny line, but I too have discovered that use of this line is audience specific.

I agree it is audience specific. I'd go further to say it's Partridge specific, because you need the Alan context to appreciate the specific misanthropic context in which it was originally used.

Otherwise it just sounds like an absurdly inappropriate criticism!

yesitsme

Can't believe no one has said 'What if your arm bursts?' yet.  I always use that in 'what if...' scenarios.

Yes, all the Cooganisms above, I'd say 'I'm doing it! I'm doing it' is the most popular one.  I'm sure people who hear it know it's from something.  At least I hope they do.

Lots of Simpsons ones.  Perhaps the most used is 'Cornsnaggit'.  Grandpa Simpson says it a lot but I use it if I stub my toe on something.

From Python 'Whining hypocritical toadies' gets a good few outings as do 'Oh no 'es snuffed it!' and 'No, no I've got enough swimming pools already thanks' from Spitting Image.

Me and my dad will also slip in a 'He's his own best friend' when we're describing someone.

Norton Canes

"Ooh, pardon!!"

At least, I have to keep reminding myself it's a comedy pastiche of a comedy phrase

Pingers

Quote from: RedRevolver on November 05, 2018, 03:04:41 AM
Moon on a stick.

I used this just yesterday, and had entirely forgotten that it's not a 'real' expression. No wonder my work colleague looked at me a bit odd.

Pingers

Quote from: Chollis on December 03, 2018, 04:11:15 PM
Me and most of my family use 'Scorchio, scorchio'  when it's hot. That's well racist now isn't it

And its corollory - "Cumulonimbus!" Lots of Fast Show ones have entered my vernacular. Now we're in December I'm looking forward to saying "Turkey? It's just a fat bastard chicken!!" quite a lot.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: magval on November 04, 2018, 08:08:54 PM
I say "proof if proof be need be" too often because I forget it's a nonsense phrase from The Day Today.

Yeah this one.  It's a really bad habit, and I'm sure one that has caused people to silently judge me.

yesitsme

Quote from: Norton Canes on December 04, 2018, 10:07:15 AM
"Ooh, pardon!!"

At least, I have to keep reminding myself it's a comedy pastiche of a comedy phrase

Don't know if you saw last nights FA Cup draw but every time yer Paul Inces of this world pulled a ball out of the bag he'd make an 'Oooh, pardon!' noise.

Do you want Fanny or do you want the Guv'nor?

I think it's from the Every Which Way films but we also enjoy a good 'My arrrrrrrrrrrse!'

kalowski

Mobius

Another Partridge one, referring to sweaty hands as 'palm piss'

mojo filters

Lessor babka...plus in an even more unusual coincidence, I rarely pay for American baked goods that can be easily liberated from the elderly!

Mobius

græskar

"Oh my god, it's the last days of Rome" (Peep Show)

zomgmouse

Terrible man. Terrible man. Terrible terrible terrible man.

up_the_hampipe

Reece Shearsmith's delivery of "oh yeah, I hadn't thought of that" in Spaced became an ongoing insult with my circle of friends https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QY8311Q1KJ8

zomgmouse

Autopsy Turvey

Whenever anyone is labouring a point that has already been sufficiently made and understood, or if something's going on that I'm not very keen on continuing, I've been known to say "Are we going up to Z on this?" I've said it so many times I forgot where it came from, and when the KMKY CDs were reprinted last year I got a wallop of a laugh hearing it in its original context.

SteveDave