Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,171
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:58:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

You reckon a PS5 will come soon?

Started by Fry, November 05, 2018, 03:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fry

I'm aching to play RDR and my girlfriend really wants to play Spiderman, so we're considering not buying each other christmas presents and spending the money we would have by going halves on a PS4 pro for us both.

I'd hate to do that then have a PS5 come out on me early next year. That would really piss me off.

lazarou

It'll be Xmas 2019 or early 2020 at the very earliest, I'm thinking. There's just no way it'll happen without at least one major E3 event showing the thing off some time beforehand.

Mobius

I'm sort of in the same boat. Really want one for RDR2 but can't justify spending money on something I've already had for like 5 years. Plus I've been playing RDR2 about 12 hours a day since it came out - how radically different is the PS Pro going to make it?

I reckon at least a year though, yeah. Xmas 2019 seems like a sensible bet.

I'd hang on for a Black Friday deal. If it comes out in Christmas 2019, you'll still have an entire generation of amazing games still to play. I wouldn't bother with the Pro either. I've barely noticed any difference over my base PS4 which I replaced when it died. If you have a 4K telly, maybe, but at 1080p it's imperceptible.

Barry Admin

Xbox One X looks to be the way to go for RDR2, from what's been said in the thread. PlayStation has better exclusives though, oh, like Spider-Man.

Xbox also has a brilliant and massively extensive library of cheap games available thanks to its backwards compatibility, thought I'd throw that in for consideration, regards the systems potential lifespan.

biggytitbo

I think it'll be 2020, which will be 6 and a half years since the ps4 cane out, which puts it bang in line with previous generation gaps. I think Sony and Microsoft have to wait until AMD can produce their next gen of graphics chips to price and scale, which might be another year.

2019 should be a good last hurrah year for the ps4 though, with last of us 2, death stranding, ghost of tsushima as exclusives and plenty of good cross platform titles too. Should get a good 18 months out of it before any new consoles.

biggytitbo

Looks like the ps5 and next Xbox will be the smallest leap on consoles between generations ever aswell. The current ones can do 4k at 30fps or 1080p at 60fps, and I think the next gen will be aiming for 4k at 60fps, but even that might be a bit too much to ask as even high end pcs now struggle to achieve that in all games. Other things should get a lot better, like ai and physics, but in terms of how pretty the games look it's probably not going to be much of a jump.

Fry

Thinking about it, I'm not sure why I'm worried. I've not got a console at launch since my mum got me a PS2 for chrimbo with timesplitters and SSX (fuckin amazing launch games.) Probablyl won't be getting a PS5 for a good few years anyway.

Also, haven't got a particularly good TV so getting a slim seems like a better option. How does RDR run on the traditional console?

biggytitbo

Yeah I don't buy a console until you can buy some of the best games for a tenner or less. It's not like there's a rush when I have such a mammoth backlog of old stuff I haven't played yet.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

It's probably more my perception of time speeding up as I get older, but it feels like the PS4 was only released quite recently.
Quote from: biggytitbo on November 05, 2018, 09:52:50 AM
Yeah I don't buy a console until you can buy some of the best games for a tenner or less. It's not like there's a rush when I have such a mammoth backlog of old stuff I haven't played yet.
It doesn't feel like the backlog is that mammoth. Certainly there aren't as many must-play games as I would expect if the console is due to be retired in the near future. Sad indictment of the industry, or should I just pay more attention?

biggytitbo

There are loads if you include games that aren't exclusive to the ps4. Basically all the good games released the last 5 years that aren't Nintendo.

Utter Shit

Generally speaking I'm never that bothered about what new machines might be capable of, but seeing what RDR2 has achieved makes me so bloody excited. It seems impossible that developers could improve on that level of graphical sophistication, but then I have a very specific memory of seeing the original FIFA game demo-ing in Woolworths as a kid and thinking that was graphically perfect...

...so who knows.

Obel

Utter Shit, the problem with what you're saying is that you'll only get a tiny handful of AAA games that have enormous budgets and the freedom to put the insane detail into games ala RDR2. To be honest at this point I'm content with graphics, but I've felt for a while that games need to put more love into good physics and things being destructible. I would take a game with slightly lesser graphics but could handle a hell of a lot of things happening at once.

Basically I want a remake of Mercenaries with shit hot physics. Even at the time I thought it was class. I remember blowing up a building with a rocket launcher and an individual stray brick flying out and smacking my character in the face, damaging him. Little details like that are what I like.

Penfold

That reminds me, I bought Red Faction: Guerilla Re-Mars-tered a month ago and haven't played it yet.

Utter Shit

Quote from: Obel on November 05, 2018, 12:27:07 PM
Utter Shit, the problem with what you're saying is that you'll only get a tiny handful of AAA games that have enormous budgets and the freedom to put the insane detail into games ala RDR2. To be honest at this point I'm content with graphics, but I've felt for a while that games need to put more love into good physics and things being destructible. I would take a game with slightly lesser graphics but could handle a hell of a lot of things happening at once.

Basically I want a remake of Mercenaries with shit hot physics. Even at the time I thought it was class. I remember blowing up a building with a rocket launcher and an individual stray brick flying out and smacking my character in the face, damaging him. Little details like that are what I like.

Oh yeah I definitely get that. I mean GTA is famous for having a huge world but I think it's generally accepted that it's quite a shallow world - it looks beautiful, but there's very little meaningful interaction in terms of destruction, being able to enter buildings, or in a broader sense simply having things/places being worthwhile interacting with - tons of alleyways, rooftops, mountains etc that look great but aren't of much value once you've explored them.

I'd definitely be more satisfied with a smaller world that is properly, consistently interactive, or at least a happy medium which rewards curiosity properly, justifying your mad jaunts up into the mountains or systematically inspecting alleyways. I mean that sort of curiosity WAS rewarded back in the original GTA twenty years ago, there were loads of guns, money and health bonuses to be found if you looked around.

Presumably the next gen version of GTA will at least finally allow you to enter most (non-private) buildings, which at this point is the least you'd expect. Really you should be able to get into any bulding you want - it is a fucking crime game after all - but at least locked houses etc can justify not letting you in, it's annoying that in the middle of the daytime you can go past a row of shops and only get into fucking Toni & Guy and Top Man, maybe a Tesco Express if you're lucky.

biggytitbo

There's a good video on YouTube of a comparison between far cry 2 and 5, and how the latter is both more advanced - in that the graphics are much prettier and more simplistic - ing that pysics, simulation, ai, environmental complexity etc has been dialled right back. Think the argument was due to the weak cpus or lack of memory on the consoles developers have opted for eye candy over advanced world stimulation, and you can defibenrly see that in the current gen of games- they look great but aren't doing anything more ambitious than what crysis did 10 years ago, or even half life 2.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Graphics have been one of the things that have underwhelmed me the most this generation. There have been some gobsmacking exceptions, but the standard doesn't seem to have raised much over the last generation. I played a bit of Red Dead Redemption 2 the other day and thought it looked barely any different to the first one. Shite thought it might be, The Order 1886 was a massive graphical leap forward that I would have expected to be the norm by now. I guess maybe bugetary restrictions are more of a factor now than the hardware.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 05, 2018, 02:22:23 PM
Graphics have been one of the things that have underwhelmed me the most this generation. There have been some gobsmacking exceptions, but the standard doesn't seem to have raised much over the last generation. I played a bit of Red Dead Redemption 2 the other day and thought it looked barely any different to the first one.

I sort of agree with you, but I think if you put RDR and RDR2 side-by-side, the difference would be apparent. I've noticed this in the move from standard definition to high definition to 4k. The improvements are not as gobsmacking because they're in the finer details now. I notice 4k more than anything in clothing textures, for example in RDR2, reading a letter, Arthur's leather gloves look photorealistic.

Hopefully the next gen will be a bigger leap though, so we can have not only photorealistic gloves, but photorealistic character models too.

Utter Shit

Oh man I don't agree on RDR2 at all - it's not perfect, but at points the graphics are truly incredible. I've mentioned the snow a hundred times across numerous threads, and in the early parts of the game the three-dimensional look of things like clothing really is mind-blowing [EDIT: QDRPHNC beat me to it - one thing that particularly stood out was Dutch's coat and shirt underneath, it had a depth to it that I've never seen before], the general feel of you being part of a huge, real world is awe-inspiring.

I suppose to an extent that is the sound as much as the graphics - I've been playing it with the lights turned off and headphones for maximum effect - but honestly it gives me a Red Dwarf-style, Better Than Life feeling; when I'm wandering around through the woods it feels like I'm actually there, in a way that I've never come close to experiencing even in modern open world games. That's a clichéd thing to say, but it's not a feeling that comes to me easily and I have been properly blown away by it.

VelourSpirit

It's mad that by the time the next GTA comes out, it'll be about as long a gap as the one between San Andreas and V. It's exciting imagining what it'll be like considering RDR2 is so impressive and GTA VI will be a generation ahead.

Utter Shit

This might be straying into "will there even be a boy born that can swim faster than a shark?" territory, but are we likely to reach a point where a console will be packaged with a remote screen that allows you to play full console games on the move?

I like the idea of being able to do 'proper' gaming on my commute for example. Would it be more likely to be a full console scaled down to handheld size (which would presumably be incredibly expensive), or would it be a case of streaming from, and interacting with, your home console (which I'm not even sure is possible)?

Cards on the table: I am just annoyed that I have to travel an hour after work before I can play RDR2 again.

Utter Shit

Jesus fucking Christ I am one stupid bastard. Please tune in next week when Utter Shit will attempt to invent bread.

Penfold

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 06, 2018, 03:11:00 PM
This might be straying into "will there even be a boy born that can swim faster than a shark?" territory, but are we likely to reach a point where a console will be packaged with a remote screen that allows you to play full console games on the move?

I like the idea of being able to do 'proper' gaming on my commute for example. Would it be more likely to be a full console scaled down to handheld size (which would presumably be incredibly expensive), or would it be a case of streaming from, and interacting with, your home console (which I'm not even sure is possible)?

Cards on the table: I am just annoyed that I have to travel an hour after work before I can play RDR2 again.

PS4 has remote play but I have no idea how well, or if it works when out, it might only be for Sony phones, so the only other option would be a laptop. I'm currently using on my laptop because my TV died just after RDR 2 came out. It works perfectly but I'm in the same flat with everything plugged in via ethernet cables so it should.

New Jack

I use remote play, with my Windows 10 pc and powerline adapters for ethernet

It's washed out but does 1080p and I've done at least twenty hours of Red Dead 2 with it.

It's good for filling in play sessions. Maybe not a replacement for it.

Utter Shit

Wait you can play your PS4 via your laptop? I looked into this myself because my wife usually dominates the TV, but was led to believe it wasn't possible...explain yourself!

Utter Shit

Fucking YES MATE. I love you. Game changer.

New Jack

Quote from: Utter Shit on November 06, 2018, 03:51:27 PM
Wait you can play your PS4 via your laptop? I looked into this myself because my wife usually dominates the TV, but was led to believe it wasn't possible...explain yourself!

Fella above outright beat me. Yeah, just a Windows app, even supports the Dualshock 4 without any fuss (or DS4Windows) - mine is cabled but I got Bluetooth working once but perceived a lag

Change resolution in settings, has 720p and 1080p, your laptop contributes zero processing towards it, it's simply sensitive to bandwidth if you have it to the highest setting

Utter Shit

Have that Mrs. Utter Shit, no more compromises.