Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:39:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

N64 Classic

Started by Beagle 2, November 05, 2018, 09:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beagle 2

There are a lot of rumours that this is about to be announced, from such reliable sources such as UNILAD and the Daily Express. I'm still sceptical though, in terms of licenses, emulating the games, the bulky controller that Nintendo would probably add £60 onto the price of the console for.

If it does happen I'd like to pick one up due to skipping the system the first time around and only playing N64 games on emulators which can be very hit and miss. I also think that N64 graphics retain a certain aesthetic charm that PS1 games do not, and they look so shapely and 90s. But as I understand it, a lot of the decent games are owned by Rare, who are owned by Microsoft? Wouldn't really matter if it was hackable, I guess.

Wot games u want

madhair60

The things I want on there aren't really feasible but absolute essentials for me, if licensing is no object

Goldeneye
Blast Corps
Goemon 1 and 2
Doom 64
Castlevania (the first one, not the "improved" re-release, which is shit)
Banjo-Kazooie
Banjo-Tooie
Chameleon Twist
Turok Dinosaur Hunter

Er... that's it.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Body Harvest. To be followed shortly thereafter by a modern sequel/reboot/remake.

bgmnts

I'd give Goldeneye a miss as it's bloody terrible nowadays.

madhair60

Quote from: bgmnts on November 05, 2018, 10:12:36 AM
I'd give Goldeneye a miss as it's bloody terrible nowadays.

Like fuck it is. It's still great.

bgmnts

Quote from: madhair60 on November 05, 2018, 10:17:38 AM
Like fuck it is. It's still great.

I am an old man admittedly but I cannot control it anymore, its aged about as well as Courtney Love.

I played Goldeneye about ten years ago - Not exactly recent, but long past the point that I was used to far better control schemes - and still found it to be lots of fun.

gmoney

WWF No Mercy! Absolutely no chance of that, mind you.

Replies From View

biggytitbo

Twed

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 05, 2018, 09:19:29 AM
emulating the games,
No technical problem here. All the details will be matters of economics.

Malcy

Pilotwings would be nice. But if I really wanted to play it I'd chuck an emulator on. I don't see the point of these consoles. I'd rather buy an original and get the games I wanted to play. Some games can be expensive bit you can pick up the consoles cheap enough. And where's the fun if you don't have to blow on the cartridge?!?

Beagle 2

Do N64 games run perfectly on emulators then? I've had problems even with titles like Ocarina of Time, and stuff like Goldeneye doesn't run at all. I completed Mario 64 for the first time on an emulator in about 2002 though.

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 05, 2018, 03:13:41 PM
Do N64 games run perfectly on emulators then? I've had problems even with titles like Ocarina of Time, and stuff like Goldeneye doesn't run at all. I completed Mario 64 for the first time on an emulator in about 2002 though.

Not by a long shot unfortunately, there's still issues with a lot of games. I think the N64 architecture was pretty quirky so difficult to perfectly emulate.

madhair60

Ackshewally an emulator recently came out (called "m64p") which can basically play anything you throw at it without fuss.

NoSleep

Robotron 64 is a huge improvement over Robotron X for PSX. Lots of tweaks to make it the game it should have been.

I tried a 64 emulator ages ago. The biggest headache was trying to get a Playstation controller to match the more idiosyncratic button placement of the Nintendo one.

biggytitbo

Let's face it though, barring the 1st party and some of the Rare ones, the N64 is one of the shittest systems ever with a paucity of great games, and they're really going to struggle to fill it especially if Rare is absent.

The Gamecube however, there's a system ripe for a reassessment. I guess the gamecube/ps2 era are the last gen that will be viable for one of these, they both emulate well and the file sizes aren't so big that the kind of 64gig flash memory these things use won't be enough.

A mini rubik cube size gamecube with Metro Prime, Pikmin, Windwaker, Super Smash Brothers, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 1 remake, F Zero GX, Eternal Darkness, Rogue Squadron 2, Twin Snakes, Luigi's Mansion etc, would be a very fine thing indeed.

The PS2 one would almost impossibly hard to fill though, as there are enough all time greats to fill 10 of them.

Phil_A

Quote from: madhair60 on November 05, 2018, 03:55:16 PM
Ackshewally an emulator recently came out (called "m64p") which can basically play anything you throw at it without fuss.

Can it run Goemon and Conker's Bad Fur Day without them stuttering like shit? Let's see...

Yes it can, impressive!

Malcy

Quote from: madhair60 on November 05, 2018, 03:55:16 PM

If it plays Vigilante 8 & Star Wars: Shadows Of The Empire then it's a beast. 2 games that no emulator could run properly :(

Dannyhood91

Conkers Bad Fur Day

Not Zelda because that's been released about 20 times over

New Jack

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 05, 2018, 03:13:41 PM

Doubt you'll see WWF No Mercy on a Ninty64 Classic since the current WWF is obsessed with its current form

But I've dived into ROM-based custom patches for a laugh, and it was very playable and very beloved on PC.

Still, it gets lionised amongst original players; many of which I suspect played it during their favourite and perhaps only era of wrestling fandom.

Still, games and nostalgia. As potent as wrestling and nostalgia.

But the controller. Ah, the controller.

Kelvin

Quote from: Dannyhood91 on November 06, 2018, 11:14:08 AM
Conkers Bad Fur Day

Not Zelda because that's been released about 20 times over

I do quite like the idea of Nintendo releasing a classic console without any of it's most beloved or famous games; Mario 64, Zelda, all the Rare stuff. Just selling it with Earthworm Jim 64 and Gex. 

A bit like Sony did with their Playstation Classic.

Beagle 2

Ha!

I think Biggy's being a bit harsh on the system, I don't regret choosing Playstation back in the day but I feel like better selection of classic games that you would actually want to play today has survived. With the caveat that I haven't actually played a lot of them so what am I even on about how much mate £119 yes I'll take one and bin that cheers.

NoSleep

As with the PSX one, there's no reason not to grab a s/h N64 and a bunch of carts from ebay for less than the price of this.

Beagle 2

I dunno, I just had a look at they're going for £70 +. Plus carts, adaptor for modern telly, scrubbing the finger cheese and nicotine stains off etc. But now I know there's a working emulator, then yes, I can't say I'm as interested.

Captain Z

Mario Kart 64
Diddy Kong Racing
F Zero X
Snowboard Kids
Spacestation Silicon Valley

Kelvin

These products aren't targeted at people who are savvy with emulators. They're convenient, "value" buys for people who haven't dipped into that pool of nostalgia for years, or who just want a handful of games in one place, easily. Nintendo hate emulation precisely for this reason. It's for people who don't want the faff of hunting for good deals on the original cartridges, or who think emulators are for nerds.

Kelvin

biggytitbo

Quote from: NoSleep on November 06, 2018, 04:53:05 PM
As with the PSX one, there's no reason not to grab a s/h N64 and a bunch of carts from ebay for less than the price of this.

Surely the big reason beyond convienence for not doing that  is connecting it to a modern hdtv ?