Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:11:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

N64 Classic

Started by Beagle 2, November 05, 2018, 09:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 06, 2018, 05:10:50 PM
I dunno, I just had a look at they're going for £70 +. Plus carts, adaptor for modern telly, scrubbing the finger cheese and nicotine stains off etc. But now I know there's a working emulator, then yes, I can't say I'm as interested.

Last time I checked they were going for much less. I even gave one away thinking they'd be cheaper than that if I ever wanted to get another. I see Dreamcasts are going up in price, too (glad I have a couple of those). It must be the relative rarity, as PSX/PS1's are going cheap.

Thursday

N64 had such a unique controller, that I do think playing games on an emulator and controller can lose something that you don't lose as much with other systems. Arguably you could make better control schemes, but I remember playing Majora's Mask, and no configuration ever quite felt right.

Consignia

Quote from: Kelvin on November 06, 2018, 04:17:04 PM
I do quite like the idea of Nintendo releasing a classic console without any of it's most beloved or famous games; Mario 64, Zelda, all the Rare stuff. Just selling it with Earthworm Jim 64 and Gex. 

Nintendo did release a Famicom mini in Japan with just crappy manga licensed games on it.

madhair60

Quote from: Kelvin on November 06, 2018, 04:17:04 PMA bit like Sony did with their Playstation Classic.

Yeah, as a Nintendo fan, I love buying the same exact games over and over. In fact, I'm angry that Nintendo won't let me.

Rolf Lundgren

This would be Nintendo's third chance to get the cable length correct. Even on the much improved mini SNES, the console sits halfway across the floor rather than neatly under the telly as I choose to sit more than 2 feet away from the screen.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 05, 2018, 04:35:40 PM
Let's face it though, barring the 1st party and some of the Rare ones, the N64 is one of the shittest systems ever with a paucity of great games, and they're really going to struggle to fill it especially if Rare is absent.

The Gamecube however, there's a system ripe for a reassessment. I guess the gamecube/ps2 era are the last gen that will be viable for one of these, they both emulate well and the file sizes aren't so big that the kind of 64gig flash memory these things use won't be enough.

A mini rubik cube size gamecube with Metro Prime, Pikmin, Windwaker, Super Smash Brothers, Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 1 remake, F Zero GX, Eternal Darkness, Rogue Squadron 2, Twin Snakes, Luigi's Mansion etc, would be a very fine thing indeed.

Wonder how many people who bought this hypothetical device have forgot they've got a wii gathering dust in a cupboard.

Beagle 2

This is probably all horseshit anyway, isn't it? They would have announced it by now if it was coming for Christmas.

colacentral

Someone found a page on the official UK nintendo site which was just a list of about 20 N64 games, and this was shortly after the Snes classic came out. I'm still surprised that wasn't widely reported news as it was definitely a real page on an official nintendo site and what possible reason would they have to just happen to list 20 N64 games that all also happened to be plausible release titles (e.g. no Goldeneye, etc)?

I can't be arsed finding it sorry as I'm at work and I found it via Youtube.

I always think an N64 Classic would be slim pickings until I start to really think about it: Mario 64, Wave Race, Mario Party, Mario Kart, Paper Mario, Yoshi's Island, Kirby 64, F-Zero, Starfox, Smash Bros, plus a few puzzlers. Maybe they could get Diddy Kong Racing too since they got DKC for the Snes. It's really not that bad. Biggy talking shite.

biggytitbo

The 1st party games are always going to be good, but even some of those listed aren't exactly top tier nintendo - Yoshi 64? F-Zero? Mario Party? And the 3rd party lineup beyond rare is dogshit. To me, the Gamecube lineup, even though its smaller, is much stronger as a well balanced system.

A quick stab at a PS2 mini blows both of them out of the water though:

- Silent Hill 2
- Ico
- Shadow of the Colossus
- GTA Vice City
- GTA San Andreas
- Metal Gear Solid 2
- God of War 2
- Burnout 3: Takedown
- Gran Turismo 4
- SSX Tricky
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
- Sly Cooper
- Ratchet and Clank
- Jak and Daxter 3
- Outrun 2006
- Devil May Cry 3
- Final Fantasy XII
- Kingdom Hearts 2
- Katamari Damacy
- Resident Evil 4
- Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
- Pro Evolution Soccer 6

Bazooka

Yeah but they are not going to skip the iconic N64 mini and go straight to the less famous Gamecube mini.

Kelvin

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 06, 2018, 09:29:05 PM
The 1st party games are always going to be good, but even some of those listed aren't exactly top tier nintendo - Yoshi 64? F-Zero? Mario Party? And the 3rd party lineup beyond rare is dogshit. To me, the Gamecube lineup, even though its smaller, is much stronger as a well balanced system.

A quick stab at a PS2 mini blows both of them out of the water though:

- Silent Hill 2
- Ico
- Shadow of the Colossus
- GTA Vice City
- GTA San Andreas
- Metal Gear Solid 2
- God of War 2
- Burnout 3: Takedown
- Gran Turismo 4
- SSX Tricky
- Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4
- Sly Cooper
- Ratchet and Clank
- Jak and Daxter 3
- Outrun 2006
- Devil May Cry 3
- Final Fantasy XII
- Kingdom Hearts 2
- Katamari Damacy
- Resident Evil 4
- Psi Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy
- Pro Evolution Soccer 6

But then you're also including a bunch of games in that list that you couldn't realistically get the licence to, and if you're going to compare the lineups like that, you have to also include the Rare games.

Mario 64
Ocarina
Majora's Mask
GoldenEye
Banjo Kazooie 1 (sequel is tedious rubbish)
Mario Kart 64
1080 Snowboarding
Perfect Dark
Star Fox 64
Diddy Kong Racing
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Paper Mario
Rogue Squadron
F-Zero
Waverace 64
Blast Corps
Turok 1
Turok 2
Smash Bros 64
Bomberman 64
Mario Golf
Mischief Makers
Pilot Wings 64
Sin and fucking Punishment
Snowboard Kids
Shadow Man

and that's omitting any puzzle or sports games, because I never played them.

The idea that the N64 has very few great games is utter trash, although I do accept that the 3rd party lineup is thin. Of those games, you might have to take out 10 or so for licencing reasons, but that would still leave you with 15 excellent games produced by Nintendo at their most diverse.

biggytitbo

Which ones would they not be able to get the licences for?

Your N64 lineup is much better I have to admit, but I'd argue half those Nintendo games are pretty mediocre by their standards and the list tails off badly. Obviously there's 10 or so there that are total classics, which would make it worthwhile, but plenty of filler too.

The thing with the PS2 one is you could do at least another 2 or 3 of them without dropping the quality at all. Pysconauts, Beyond Good and Evil, Dark Cloud 2, Okami, second sight, Hitman blood money, bully, urban chaos riot response, freedom fighters, the warriors, timesplitters, the Thing, Black, God hand, an embaressment of riches.

Kelvin

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 06, 2018, 10:52:36 PM
Which ones would they not be able to get the licences for?

I just mean that, because the list is heavily reliant on 3rd party studios, they likely wouldn't be able to get all of those games, because every company would want a cut, and every company would prefer to sell the games themselves, or as remasters. We've already seen that with games like Crash and Spiro on the Playstation classic. The reason that lineup is so unimpressive is because so many of the best/most iconic games are tied up in rights issues and re-releases.

Beagle 2

I don't feel like the PS2 should really be considered a "classic" system, a lot of its games don't feel out of place on a modern console and are continuing to receive remasters and re-releases, and who feels nostalgia for the actual ugly lump of black plastic? To me, since PS2, it's really felt like more of the same, just bigger and better.

N64 has its own personality and is interesting from a historical point of view as developers got to grips with 3D environments. And for me it's at kind of a sweet spot for games where fun was still at the heart of most design decisions, before online and overcomplicated XP clutter and crafting made almost every action seem to carry a tedious consequence. The limitations of the hardware gave it a distinct timestamped visual charm, whereas PS2 games just look like ugly modern games.

Kelvin

And the only games on my list that are anything less than an 8 out of 10 are Pilotwings, Turok 1 and 2, and Bomberman 64, maybe -  three of which are likely tied up in rights issues anyway.

colacentral

How did I manage to forget the two Zeldas? 1080 Snowboarding and Mischief Makers are a good shout too.

From what I remember about the leaked game list I saw a while ago, it was surprising how much of it was sports games. Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, Mario Golf and Tennis, and I'm sure a non-Mario Kart racing game or two, e.g. whichever one that came out soon after launch, Daytona USA or whatever. Pilotwings 64 might have been on there too. It's probably better as a "classic" console than the prior two releases as it heavily has that multiplayer party factor which is more fitting for this sort of thing than the heavy single player experiences, in my opinion.

biggytitbo

I left everything or nothing off my list, the best bond game ever that still plays great today, whereas goldeneye is a total clowncar to control.

Beagle 2

When I got to uni I was introduced to multiplayer Half-Life and Unreal Tournament for the first time, which we would play over our halls of residence phone system. I was then introduced to Goldeneye for the first time and thought what is this absolute load of uncontrollable shite. I can't see me ever getting it at this stage.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 06, 2018, 11:09:15 PM
I don't feel like the PS2 should really be considered a "classic" system, a lot of its games don't feel out of place on a modern console and are continuing to receive remasters and re-releases, and who feels nostalgia for the actual ugly lump of black plastic? To me, since PS2, it's really felt like more of the same, just bigger and better.

N64 has its own personality and is interesting from a historical point of view as developers got to grips with 3D environments. And for me it's at kind of a sweet spot for games where fun was still at the heart of most design decisions, before online and overcomplicated XP clutter and crafting made almost every action seem to carry a tedious consequence. The limitations of the hardware gave it a distinct timestamped visual charm, whereas PS2 games just look like ugly modern games.

I'd say of all the classic consoles, N64 looks the worse. It's a close run thing between that and the ps1 with its janky texture warping, but the n64s dogshit colors and vaseline smeared blurry visuals just look terrible today. Its like the c64 of that era.

Dunno how the ps2 isn't considered a classic system, it's almost 19 years old, only a bit younger than the N64 itself. 19 years before the ps2 the spectrum hadn't even been released and space invaders was the top arcade game.

colacentral

You're out of order saying the N64 looks worse than the original Playstation. How can you be that catastrophically wrong about something? Compare Goldeneye to Rainbow Six, or each console's version of Knockout Kings 98.

Beagle 2

Because to me, a classic system means one that was a great leap forward in some way, or had some sort of distinctive personality. PS2 era onwards I remember games, not systems.

Beagle 2

Quote from: colacentral on November 06, 2018, 11:22:32 PM
You're out of order saying the N64 looks worse than the original Playstation. How can you be that catastrophically wrong about something? Compare Goldeneye to Rainbow Six, or each console's version of Knockout Kings 98.

Totally agree, and I was PS1 all the way at the time.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Beagle 2 on November 06, 2018, 11:24:35 PM
Because to me, a classic system means one that was a great leap forward in some way
If the PS2's games wouldn't feel out of place on today's consoles, then surely it was a leap forward.
I certainly remember it nostalgically, as I got one in my first year at university.

biggytitbo

Yeah I think a lot of the nostalgia factor obviously relies on having had the original console, I had a ps1, ps2 and GameCube so am very fond of those systems whereas I didn't play a real n64 until years later where there was no rosentinted spectacles to overcome the broken controls and horrible graphics. The ps1 would be the same if I didn't have it originally.

I wish all retro consoles and old games were just forgotten about completely. Inane nostalgia fetish bullshit. If any modern game were a retro game back in the day, people would be going spare about the game even now, until the next generation when the next generation of me would decry its worth because it's a bit old.

Johnny Textface

You can snag a Ps3 on Facebook for about £40 and pick up games from charity shops from as little as 50p. Not much point getting a PS1 or PS2 classic as the Ps3 will emulate most games perfectly.
Regards to N64 graphics not looking good these days, does it really matter as long as the game itself is good? Back in the day Goldeneye was an incredible multilayer experience. Yes the controls might seem odd now but a few minutes to adjust is all you need.

I have a friend who just like to get old games working on new consoles. He's currently trying to adapt the Switch for this. Once he's done he rarely bothers with the games for more than a couple of minutes.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 07, 2018, 06:53:39 AM
I wish all retro consoles and old games were just forgotten about completely. Inane nostalgia fetish bullshit. If any modern game were a retro game back in the day, people would be going spare about the game even now, until the next generation when the next generation of me would decry its worth because it's a bit old.

kill your self

AsparagusTrevor

Quote from: Bazooka on November 06, 2018, 10:11:32 PM
Yeah but they are not going to skip the iconic N64 mini and go straight to the less famous Gamecube mini.

They already released one of those - I think it was called the Wii.

Quote from: madhair60 on November 07, 2018, 08:20:51 AM
kill your self

Name one old game that's better than a new game

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth