Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:10:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

N64 Classic

Started by Beagle 2, November 05, 2018, 09:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kelvin

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 07, 2018, 09:41:56 AM
Name one old game that's better than a new game

Megaman 2 is better than Megaman 5

madhair60

Custer's Revenge

I thought you were gonna say Tubaruba, which is incidentally what I call YOUR MUM

Bhazor

One reason for the success of this is that N64 controller really doesn't map to modern controllers. If you emulate them you end up with wierd bastardised controls where A and B are set to the triggers.

madhair60

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 07, 2018, 10:26:25 AM
I thought you were gonna say Tubaruba, which is incidentally what I call YOUR MUM

wow cancelled

bgmnts

Metal Gear Solid 3 is better than Metal Gear Solid Zombies.

biggytitbo

There is still no better platform game than Yoshis Island, 25 years on.

Bullshit. Every new game is better than the last you cunts

bgmnts

Can someone pull up Crab's rating system where he has definitely rated older games better than newer games please?

Kelvin

Quote from: bgmnts on November 07, 2018, 11:13:39 AM
Can someone pull up Crab's rating system where he has definitely rated older games better than newer games please?

No. I'm afraid every time Crabby uses that rating system, I call Tim Berners-Lee and get those pages deleted from the internet.

lazarou

QuoteWhich ones would they not be able to get the licences for?

Well first off there's OutRun 2, which is never getting released for anything again as the ferrari licence lapsed and they can no longer sell it on any platform, sadly.

Pro Evo 6 would also be a no-go unless they were willing to remove whatever licensed players and teams that version had. Konami almost certainly couldn't be arsed, even if they still had to base resources to edit.

Getting this close to modern day gaming, the big killer is going to be licensed soundtracks. No SSX, No Burnout, No Tony Hawk. They quite possibly don't even have the rights to use Tony Hawk's name anymore.

Beagle 2

Aye well that's easy solved innit, just do a new soundtrack using one of the modern bands like the Levellers and replace Tony Hawk with Tony Hawks or a hawk or one of the Levellers.

biggytitbo

Did they butcher the soundtrack when Burnout Paradise was released a while back? I'm sure it still had guns and roses on at least. The PS2 library is so deep there are always fallbacks that are great games in their own right, so no Burnout 3, replace with Flatout 2. No SSX, replace with something like Downhill Domination which is just as good but hardly known. For Pro Evo you could switch to one of the earlier versions that doesn't have licensed names.

Sebastian Cobb

Dreamcast classic would be good, although the console isn't that expensive and you can burn the games yourself, looks like someone's even made a SD card thing that simulates the cd drive so you don't need to burn the discs.

NoSleep

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 07, 2018, 11:57:20 PM
Dreamcast classic would be good, although the console isn't that expensive and you can burn the games yourself, looks like someone's even made a SD card thing that simulates the cd drive so you don't need to burn the discs.

Basically somebody has written an OS for the Dreamcast (Dreamshell) which allows you to access an SD card amongst other things.

http://www.dc-swat.ru/page/dreamshell/

Unfortunately the serial port doesn't allow enough bandwidth for many DC games to run smoothly from an SD card (although some smart people have made slimline versions of the games in some cases), but it works well enough for running MAME and NES games (SNES is a bit glitchy, too, if you want sound as well).

The more recent advance has been to replace the GD-ROM drive with a hard drive. Fortunately the Dreamcast is very accessible for hardware/firmware modding like this.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Just to further demonstrate that Beagle 2 is talking guff, I just nostalged my face off watching the PS2 loading screen. Of course, it won't work for everyone, but that's because nostalgia is obviously subjective. To me it's on par with the classic Gameboy 'ping'.

Given that many who got a PS2 in their mid-late teens would be pushing 40 by the time a mini version would be released, I can't imagine it wouldn't tickle a lot of people's nostalgia bones.

Maybe the webcam would be deemed a needless extra expense, but I wouldn't consider it complete without Eyetoy Play. It was great fun and Sony deserve some credit for introducing motion controlled games a good few years before the Wii.

biggytitbo

The main issue with a gamecube or ps2 version is the games are by this point becoming complex and long enough that they perhaps don't suit the casual audience or pick up and play factor most of these things are aimed at. You could still err on the more arcadey side of the libraries though I suppose.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

You could say the same of the PS1/N64, what with the likes of Metal Gear Solid, Mario 64, Final Fantasy 7 and Ocarina of Time.

Bhazor

This bitch better have Wetrix is all I'm saying.

Beagle 2

I just can't accept reality, lads. I bought my PS2 off the strength of the GTA San Andreas thread on here. That can't be nostalgia, not a console that was around when I was posting on here. Old.

I dunno, loads of great games on PS2, possibly my most played console, they just seem a bit charmless in retrospect.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: NoSleep on November 08, 2018, 07:58:29 AM
Basically somebody has written an OS for the Dreamcast (Dreamshell) which allows you to access an SD card amongst other things.

http://www.dc-swat.ru/page/dreamshell/

Unfortunately the serial port doesn't allow enough bandwidth for many DC games to run smoothly from an SD card (although some smart people have made slimline versions of the games in some cases), but it works well enough for running MAME and NES games (SNES is a bit glitchy, too, if you want sound as well).

The more recent advance has been to replace the GD-ROM drive with a hard drive. Fortunately the Dreamcast is very accessible for hardware/firmware modding like this.

I'm aware of dreamshell and its limitations on parallel, this thing is a board that takes an SD card for roms and emulates the GDROM.
https://gdemu.wordpress.com/about/

Malcy

Spiteface

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 07, 2018, 11:09:53 AM
There is still no better platform game than Yoshis Island, 25 years on.
Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

NoSleep

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 11, 2018, 05:44:53 PM
I'm aware of dreamshell and its limitations on parallel, this thing is a board that takes an SD card for roms and emulates the GDROM.
https://gdemu.wordpress.com/about/

Pity it's so expensive. The serial port SD adapter was less than £20 so it was worth a punt just to see what would work on it. I'll probably get a GDEmu some time down the line for when the GD-ROM drive finally packs in (although I have two running DCs).

PlanktonSideburns

Just buy an old n64 inni. Can't be steep now can they?

biggytitbo

Very difficult to get an acceptable image out of one on modern tellies though?

NoSleep

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 18, 2018, 07:30:00 PM
Just buy an old n64 inni. Can't be steep now can they?

£70-ish on ebay, compared to a PSX for less than £20. I wonder if there's an SD N64 cartridge for them, so you can just play ROMs?

monolith

I tried Goldeneye again a couple of years ago. Loved the cunt as a kid and played the shit out of it, was well excited about firing it up and blitzing through the single player.

But after a few minutes I was pondering how I ever completed the first level, even on easy, let alone got all of the achievements.

It's fucking impossible to control, how was it ever fun?

lazarou

Quote from: NoSleep on November 18, 2018, 08:29:29 PM
£70-ish on ebay, compared to a PSX for less than £20. I wonder if there's an SD N64 cartridge for them, so you can just play ROMs?

Most old consoles have some variant of Everdrive that will let you do that. They typically run pricey, around $100 or so. Still going to work out cheaper than collecting for basically any of the old Nintendo systems though. Game prices have been rising steadily for some time now, don't know what UK prices are like at the moment but over here in the US you'll struggle to get even a tatty loose cart of a decent n64 game for under $15-20.

madhair60

Quote from: monolith on November 18, 2018, 10:48:42 PMIt's fucking impossible to control, how was it ever fun?

No it isn't, have you become physically stupid?