Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,576,477
  • Total Topics: 106,648
  • Online Today: 708
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:28:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Day Today DVD - BBC Press Release

Started by weirdbeard, February 03, 2004, 02:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darrell

As far as I know, the Office digipak (urgh, hate that word) was available everywhere, and only replaced when the BBC realised they could be making even more cash out of it in plastic cases.

The BBC have completely stopped with the cardboard shenanigans - even things like the Blackadder box set, Hitchhikers, and Fawlty Towers have been re-released in 'why the fuck didn't I wait for these' sturdy, chunky plastic boxes. Same thing as Jam, really.

I'm seriously considering contacting BBC Worldwide and asking whether there's any way I could buy the plastic Blackadder box on its own - the cardboard one is useless and the discs keep falling out.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: "Darrell"I'm seriously considering contacting BBC Worldwide and asking whether there's any way I could buy the plastic Blackadder box on its own - the cardboard one is useless and the discs keep falling out.
There's probably someone out there who's pissed off that he hasn't got the original cardboard "collectable" one and would happily swap and pay you for the privilege.  E-bum?

Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"
Quote from: "Darrell"I'm seriously considering contacting BBC Worldwide and asking whether there's any way I could buy the plastic Blackadder box on its own - the cardboard one is useless and the discs keep falling out.
There's probably someone out there who's pissed off that he hasn't got the original cardboard "collectable" one and would happily swap and pay you for the privilege.  E-bum?

The one you refer to is the anti-darrel, shush, do not speak his name or he may come.

Quote from: "Darrell"BBC DVDs haven't had certificates on the side for years. You're only legally required to put one there if the spine is above a certain width, which conventional DVDs in Amaray-style cases aren't.

Bollocks.

All the OFAH ones have, for starters.

Darrell

Quote from: "Diego Cuntchips"
Quote from: "Darrell"BBC DVDs haven't had certificates on the side for years. You're only legally required to put one there if the spine is above a certain width, which conventional DVDs in Amaray-style cases aren't.

Bollocks.

Not those released in the last two years. If you're going to attempt to dismiss my info with corrections, try and make sure you're not talking "bollocks" yourself.

Purple Tentacle

Looking at my rack now, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder 3, League of Gentlemen Series 1 + 2 and the original I'm Alan Partridge (I wonder if that's worth any money?) all have certificates on their spines also.

Darrell

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"Looking at my rack now, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder 3, League of Gentlemen Series 1 + 2 and the original I'm Alan Partridge (I wonder if that's worth any mone?) all have certificates on their spines also.

They weren't released in the last two years though.

Quote from: "Darrell"
Quote from: "Diego Cuntchips"

Bollocks.

Not those released in the last two years. If you're going to attempt to dismiss my info with corrections, try and make sure you're not talking "bollocks" yourself.

You're still wrong though. Most OFAH releases within the last 2 years carry the certificate on the spine.

As do many others, like the ones Purple Tentacle listed.

Darrell

Anyway, this argument's redundant because Tandy's said that the black one isn't the actual one either. He's promising a brilliant cover, and I'll put my trust in him to deliver the goods...

Darrell

Quote from: "Diego Cuntchips"You're still wrong though. Most OFAH releases within the last 2 years carry the certificate on the spine.

HELLO BRICK WALL. HOW ARE YOU?

Quote from: "Diego Cuntchips"You're still wrong though. Most OFAH releases within the last 2 years carry the certificate on the spine.

HELLO BRICK WALL. HOW ARE YOU?

HELLO POMPOUS ARROGANT TWAT. NOT BAD.

Darrell

Quote from: "Diego Cuntchips"HELLO POMPOUS ARROGANT TWAT. NOT BAD.

I'm simply reeling off facts which you are blankly denying whilst not registering a single word of what I've said.

BBCWW DVD releases in the past two years (those packaged in Amaray cases) haven't had certificates on the spine. There may be a very select few exceptions, but the quoted examples aren't them.

Darrell

Quote from: "Purple Tentacle"the original I'm Alan Partridge (I wonder if that's worth any money?)

Worth £20+ at least, though you could get an outrageous amount for it during much of 2002.

Quote from: "Diego Cuntchips"HELLO POMPOUS ARROGANT TWAT. NOT BAD.
There may be a very select few exceptions, but the quoted examples aren't them.

Hahahaha. Joker.

You made a statement, and people pulled you up on it. You now know you are wrong, and you are backtracking.

The fact is you say no BBC DVDs released in the past 2 years have carried  a spine certificate, and that's not true. Therefore you are wrong.

Darrell

Quote from: "Diego Cuntchips"Hahahaha. Joker.

You made a statement, and people pulled you up on it. You now know you are wrong, and you are backtracking.

The fact is you say no BBC DVDs released in the past 2 years have carried  a spine certificate, and that's not true. Therefore you are wrong.

I never discounted odd exceptions, only to OFAH. Every OFAH release from series 5 onwards is sans spine certificate.

The 'you don't need certificates on the spines any more' policy started at the beginning of 2002. I don't know when the last spine was - probably the couple of runts left over at the end of 2002 (Blackadder's Christmas Carol was one, though it was a consciously 1999-style spine anyway to fit in with the other Blackadder discs, so hardly counts). But the policy has been there for two years, and therefore "BBCWW DVD releases in the past two years (those packaged in Amaray cases) haven't had certificates on the spine".

king mob

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"
Quote from: "Ambient Sheep"

The one you refer to is the anti-darrel, shush, do not speak his name or he may come.

See what you did?

Tsk.

danabnormal

this is probably really old news but i just saw this on the bbc website
QuoteCOMEDY DVD NEWS
February 26, 2004

News on some long awaited comedy DVD releases, including The Day Today, Big Train and Curb Your Enthusiasm...

The Day Today
Is out on 26th April 2004 and will have loads of extras including 6 mini-news bulletins, extended scenes, an unseen pilot episode and audio commentary with Chris Morris and Armando Ianucci.

Big Train
Series one and two boxset is coming but the listed release date of 17th May has been withdrawn. When we know a new date we'll bog it.

Curb Your Enthusiasm
The complete first series is out 17th May 2004. This will include the hour long special and audio commentaries.

and really sorry is youve all heard it before but fuck it i am really exciterd about all of these!

butnut

Thanks Dan. I really hope the whole of TDT pilot is on there.

And Curb - they've only announced the date, because I've just ordered the R1 version. The fuckers. I imagine the two versions are pretty similar, they certainly sound like it from the extras mentioned there.

All in all, three tremendous DVDs!

Artemis

Did you mean REGION 1 ? If so, are they really releasing TDT on Region 1? Seems a bit unlikely since I don't believe it's been broadcast outside of the UK yet (has it?)

butnut

Quote from: "Artemis"Did you mean REGION 1 ? If so, are they really releasing TDT on Region 1? Seems a bit unlikely since I don't believe it's been broadcast outside of the UK yet (has it?)

No - I meant the Curb Your Enthusiasm DVD. Sorry.

king mob

Oh bollocks Big Train has been put back:(

Morrisfan82

Quote from: "king mob"Oh bollocks Big Train has been put back:(
Yeh, there was probably some Big Leaves on the track.

I will go away now.

Yo, official press release here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/commercial/worldwidestories/pressreleases/2004/03_march/day_today.shtml

"The DVD features extensive extras including six mini news segments, the un-transmitted pilot episode, extended scenes and an astonishingly po-faced Open University 'behind the scenes' programme."

Well that's that then. All the extras we wanted and more. Thank Christ.

Vermschneid Mehearties

QuotePrice: £15.99

Good times are coming.

benthalo

Except for no mention of commentaries or the Mark Radcliffe interview with Coogan.

And the Spelling Jury notices only one black mark for "Arthur Matthews".

Quote from: "benthalo"Except for no mention of commentaries or the Mark Radcliffe interview with Coogan.

Don't know what that last one is but the commentary is almost guaranteed surely. Just because it's not mentioned in the press release... *suddenly starts to worry*.

Quote from: "bbc press release"The DVD features extensive extras including six mini news segments, the un-transmitted pilot episode, extended scenes and an astonishingly po-faced Open University 'behind the scenes' programme.

Well hopefully the word 'including' means there may be other things too... like the commentary... even so, the mini-news, pilot and extended scenes are enough to warrant replacing the vhs-es, no? Can't say i was ever too in love with that open university thing though.

Quote from: "bbc press release"The dvd will feature box and packaging that isn't shit and we're considering putting the certificate on the spine, we haven't done that for a couple of years but I doubt anybody would have noticed something like that.

king mob

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"
Quote from: "bbc press release"The DVD features extensive extras including six mini news segments, the un-transmitted pilot episode, extended scenes and an astonishingly po-faced Open University 'behind the scenes' programme.

Well hopefully the word 'including' means there may be other things too... like the commentary... even so, the mini-news, pilot and extended scenes are enough to warrant replacing the vhs-es, no? Can't say i was ever too in love with that open university thing though.

Quote from: "bbc press release"The dvd will feature box and packaging that isn't shit and we're considering putting the certificate on the spine, we haven't done that for a couple of years but I doubt anybody would have noticed something like that.

HAH!, that shows those blighters.

benthalo

QuoteDon't know what that last one is but the commentary is almost guaranteed surely. Just because it's not mentioned in the press release... *suddenly starts to worry*.

It will feature, but I just thought it prudent to follow up your "All the extras we wanted and more" remark.

The Steve Coogan interview I mention is listed on play and originates from Mark Radcliffe's late-night show on the eve of The Day Today's debut. It's great.