Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 01:31:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

NME Awards

Started by A Passing Turk Slipper, February 19, 2005, 12:01:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Passing Turk Slipper

It's on now, is anyone watching it? Well you can moan about it here, or not. Is it wrong that I got really excited when I saw a two second clip Mick Jones in the audience? Anyway.

mayer

Not watching it, but it's not wrong. I saw Mick at a in-London-all-dayer festival and my heart skipped a beat, then he brushed past me at the Coronet, and the same thing happened again.

I would hapilly shine his head if he asked me to.

A Passing Turk Slipper

If I saw him in real life I'd have to go and say something to him. I know I'd regret it if I didn't. My dad says a day doesn't go by when he doesn't think about the time he left one of those all star concerts they used to have, minutes before the Beatles were due to go on stage because he didn't want to miss his coach. He never got the chance to see them again.
Anyway, that lad from the Libertines said he was hoping for a reunion when he was on stage just now but Pete Doherty didn't turn up, oh well.

Beagle 2

Certainly has been a pretty awful show, Pegg and Frost stank the place out. New Order might liven things up at the death. I notice it's the shockwave hair awards now, don't even think the Brits had a single sponsor did it?

that was the very definition of car crash television.

I knew it was gonna be shite, but it was much worst than I could ever have imagined. Franz Ferdinand - shite. The Others - shite. The Libertines - shite. New Order - Shite, and now they're murdering "Love Will Tear Us Apart"
I hate to say it, but no one wonder Ian Curtis killed himself after hanging about with that bunch of wankers for however many years...

Oh, and Josh Homme and Fern Cotton? Whose idea was that?

Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are much funnier without a script.

Yes. It was all shit.

The editor looked about 14 years old!

A Passing Turk Slipper

Quote from: "9"
Heh, he totally looks like a teenager doesn't he. Anyone know how old he actually is? On the subject of the Libertines, what is that black strat style guitar Doherty plays? It's sexy.

mayer

Quote from: "Jesus Quintana"
I hate to say it, but no one wonder Ian Curtis killed himself after hanging about with that bunch of wankers for however many years....

Oh please... you're talking to a massive JD nerd, but my god wasn't Ian a whiny little prick. He killed himself listening to Iggy's The Idiot. Look, I know that Bowie's production work was less than brilliant, but hell, it's still a fine LP, and not worth hanging yourself over.

QuoteInterviewer (Interviewing New Order): Who's the laziest member of the band?
Stephen Morris: Ian Curtis.

That is why even a drummer who more or less phased himself out of a job with his massively innovative drum loops is still about three million times cooler than that wife-beating-Tory-headcase.

EDIT: And Technique and Lowlife are both light-years better than Closer and Unknown Pleasures

chand

Some strange awards there, not least the idea of having a 'New Band' and a 'Radar Award' which seem to amount to the same thing. And of course, giving New Order the Our New Album Is Out In A Month And We Can Play At The Awards Show Award.

chand

Quote from: "mayer"
QuoteInterviewer (Interviewing New Order): Who's the laziest member of the band?

That is why even a drummer who more or less phased himself out of a job with his massively innovative drum loops is still about three million times cooler than that wife-beating-Tory-headcase.

That reminds me of that one quote from Manics drummer Sean Moore, where he said 'Richey doesn't go to bed. He goes to the Abyss!'

The Mumbler

Quote from: "9"Yes. It was all shit.

He's 31 - and that is true.

That's quite amsuing...

Erm.

This also amused me.

Miles Davis was once asked "if you only had five minutes to live, what would you spend that time doing"
Davis -  " I'd spend it strangling a white man"

A Passing Turk Slipper

Well some moron on this program after said the good thing about the Clash was that they 'just didn't give a flying fuck'. No, mate, you've missed the whole fucking point of the Clash. Go home.

Labian Quest

The good thing about the Clash was that they were......good.

Didn't see much of this programme,so I don't have much to say about it, but did anyone see Mick Jones on Newsnight when he'd found all those lost Clash tapes? he said that he had loads more, but he wouldn't say if he was going to release them or not.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Yeah, it was a nice appearance, and the subsequent London Calling reissue was one of the greatest things ever. I wouldn't hold your breath for anymore of those tapes being released though but you never know.

chand

Quote from: "A Passing Turk Slipper"Well some moron on this program after said the good thing about the Clash was that they 'just didn't give a flying fuck'. No, mate, you've missed the whole fucking point of the Clash. Go home.

I like the fact that most of the talking heads, when it came to The Beatles, just went 'well, what can you say about The Beatles, eh? Nothing!'. That's probably what I'd do, I know nothing about The Beatles except that you have to say they're the greatest band who ever lived. And nothing else. Or the good old 'Everyone who makes music is influenced by the Beatles, even if they don't know it'

Paaaaul

Quote from: "Beagle2"I notice it's the shockwave hair awards now, don't even think the Brits had a single sponsor did it?
EMI
BMG
Warner

etc
etc

Beagle 2

Aye. At least the Brits doesn't really pretend to be anything other than a big industry love-in, but that raised middle finger on the shockwave hair awards looks pretty feeble.

I don't come in here much, what do people think of those "the others"? I've only heard a couple of songs but they do seem absolutely dreadful, I was wetting myself at one of their songs where they go on about "not wanting to work for the maaan", it was really hopeless, and then I bought the NME for the fiirst time in ages (for that Richey thing OK?) and was gobsmacked to see they actually have fans, and good reviews and things.

I do quite like them Kaiser chiefs though (the whole two songs I've heard)

Oh yes, finger on the pulse me.

hopeless

I like to use this thread to point out I HATE the Libertines with all my heart.

Shindig

"And to present the next award, Fern Cotton...."

It was at that point, I switched off.  Lovely lass, is Fern but she has no place at an awards show.  Did Pete Doherty show his bug-eyed, smacked up face?  I hope not.  Everytime I see him on TV, he looks worse than before.

As for Ian Curtis, epilepsy, depression and his wife not wanting to be poked would be enough to hang yourself.

chand

Quote from: "Beagle 2"that raised middle finger on the shockwave hair awards looks pretty feeble.

Yeah, the NME Awards used to be called the Brats and were intended as a big 'fuck off!' to the tedium and self-congratulatory nature of the Brits, with real alternative bands. Look at the two lists now and there's not much difference (and Muse won best live act at both awards), certainly in terms of nominations. In fact, the Brits list is arguably more exciting cos not everyone is a guitar band.

Did John Peel ever play The Others? Not sure what they did to warrant the John Peel Award For Innovation, but then I don't know anyone who likes them. Just in case you were in any doubt that the NME Awards' main purpose is for the NME to congratulate themselves, look who won the Best Website award! NME.com! What a surprise.

Shindig

Best DVD award?  Straws aren't meant to be clutched at them in such a manner.

Divnee Gan

I like Zane Low. He's someone who has less sense of being a wanker than myself.

pissed again