Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:10:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dave "Games Animal" Perry Returns

Started by Thursday, November 05, 2018, 08:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

Random shots of tits.

I can get behind this.

biggytitbo

Looks like it was made in the late 90s.

The main thing I think of when I look at him now is - 'bald'.

bgmnts

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 05, 2018, 08:59:15 PM
Looks like it was made in the late 90s.

The main thing I think of when I look in the mirror now is - 'bald'.

Twed

This is absolutely amazing, he is unable to move past 1994 emotionally or in terms of creativity.

The most modern thing in that video? The interlaced video playing on a progressive encoding artefacts.

Z

Spiteface

I'm sorry but I still keep thinking about how they stitched him up on Gamesmaster that one time. Referenced about 3 minutes into his first "show" to boot.

It was childish, but he really took it badly and I still find it hilarious.

Quote from: Z on November 05, 2018, 09:11:49 PMThis is the Shiny guy?
No. the knobhead from GamesMaster & Gamesworld. The one in the bandana.

Z

Quote from: Spiteface on November 05, 2018, 09:14:00 PM
I'm sorry but I still keep thinking about how they stitched him up on Gamesmaster that one time. Referenced about 3 minutes into his first "show" to boot.

It was childish, but he really took it badly and I still find it hilarious.
No. the knobhead from GamesMaster & Gamesworld. The one in the bandana.
Ah, well that's before my time but that music video thing at the end was amazing, the kind of shitty pervy crap from gaming magazines as a kid, except in 2018

biggytitbo

This video needs to go into the desolation thread. At least Mr Biffos show is properly filmed.

Thursday

Quote from: Twed on November 05, 2018, 09:07:45 PM
This is absolutely amazing, he is unable to move past 1994 emotionally or in terms of creativity.

The most modern thing in that video? The interlaced video playing on a progressive encoding artefacts.

The max video output is 480p... that has to be deliberate right?? We didn't need HD in the golden age of gaming!

Kelvin

I'm sure when they first broadcast this section in The Day Today it starred Graham Linehan?

Dannyhood91

There's an anarchy sign in the bottom left corner which makes me anxious. What if he swears?

madhair60

I wonder if this 100 percent geniue or a tounge in cheek look at himself. I hope its a deluded vanity project, it really is quite a spectical.

Shaky

It certainly seems to be a fantastically deluded vanity project. He's basically Michael Flatley with a Megadrive. Almost the entirety of that first episode is dedicated to Davey boy talking about himself with an actual games content of about 1%.

A 50-year-old man calling himself "The Games Animal". Jesus.

New Jack

What games animal is he exactly? A Sid Meier's Civilization Porpoise? A Road Rash Salamander? A Sonic Hedgehog?

Tags: Big Boy Barry's Unboxing Boogaloo

Space ghost

His achilles heel bit him on the arse.

Shaky

Quote from: New Jack on November 06, 2018, 12:17:36 PM
What games animal is he exactly? A Sid Meier's Civilization Porpoise? A Road Rash Salamander? A Sonic Hedgehog?

Tags: Big Boy Barry's Unboxing Boogaloo

He's the Xenon Zebra and he doesn't want anyone to know.

Stumbled up this tremendous interview which further cements his... appeal:

http://www.retrogamesmaster.co.uk/dave-perry-interview/

QuoteI'm not sure TV executives will ever fully understand the true potential of videogames on television. We showed them once... but still they refuse to believe.

Rolf Lundgren

I still don't understand how he was stitched up with the Mario 64 game. He tried to take a shortcut and messed it up. The Games Animal screwed The Games Animal. Glad to see he's not dwelling on it though.

Spiteface

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on November 06, 2018, 07:04:20 PM
I still don't understand how he was stitched up with the Mario 64 game. He tried to take a shortcut and messed it up. The Games Animal screwed The Games Animal. Glad to see he's not dwelling on it though.

The stitchup was that the game they were playing hadn't even been released in the UK at the time, and he refused to even play it on import.

http://casuallyhardcore.com/dave-perry-interview-gamesmaster/
QuoteCH: People still talk about the moment you lost on Games Master. At the time you said you was set up. What was going through your head at the time? Were the tears real or just some expert acting?

Dave Perry: Tears? There weren't any tears that I remember. But I was majorly pissed off what had gone on that day. We were told that if we took part in the quiz and got through to the final, then there would be a play off on a neutral game. Probably a new version of WipeOut from Psygnosis. However, when I turned up on the day, the game had been changed suspiciously to Mario 64 on the N64. I had recently spoken out in the trade press saying that I would not play Mario 64 until it was released officially in the UK, as the amount of press attention the new Nintendo console was getting was ruining the Christmas games market in the UK. So everyone new I had not played this game as it was not due out in the UK until the next year.

When I enquired if any of the finalists had played the game, it turned out that only one had... host Dominik Diamond's best friend. Not only had he played it, he had been playing it constantly for the past few months and completed it a number of times as he was helping develop Earthworm Jim 3D. Hardly a neutral game.

When I complained to the Director, I was told not to worry because he would not get through to the final, and if he did, then the game would be changed. I should have smelled a rat.

So, I played on, and won every round. However, when we got to the semi-final, if you watch the whole show you will notice that at least one question comes up about Earthworm Jim! The game Dominik's friend was helping develop! Coincidence?
So now he's in the final against me, on a machine I've never played on, on a game I've never played, but he's been playing on for the past few months.

When I went to see the Director about his promise that this wouldn't happen, he simply told me that there wasn't time to change anything as the crew had all run over on their scheduled time and the final had to take place immediately. He also told me that if I walked I wouldn't be allowed to use the company's hire car that had brought me to the shoot and would have to get home on my own. I was in the middle of an industrial estate in London on a Saturday evening. There weren't even any cabs. I was f*cked.

Feeling set-up and really hard done by I decided to try and play my way out of it, but predictably lost by a couple of seconds. I felt betrayed that the show I'd helped create, and had served so loyally could do this to me. I should have reacted better, but I just wanted out. At least it made good TV. I quit the show there and then and never went back.

CH: What did you think of Mario 64 once you got a chance to play the full version?

Dave Perry: I've never played it. I have always hated those cutesy Nintendo games.

Consignia

If it was such a stitch up and the other guy had been playing it constantly for months, why is he so shite at it? I would have seen it if he'd totally humiliated him, but frankly it looks both dudes' first attempts. Games Animal really just a miserable howler monkey.

biggytitbo

Bouncing Back with Dave 'The Games Animal' Perry.

Operty1

This is brilliant! He still went out and bought Mario 64 though, despite saying how much he hated it. I hope, so hope, that he has spent the last few decades playing it everyday, trying to beat the original time and still failing.

I like how he made such a big deal about putting this box of sentimental stuff together that means something to him, then towards the end says he's not sure what's in it.

He blatantly wrote the songs as well.

'Bikini babes, on beat'em ups, up and down, up and down'

Instant subscription.

madhair60

This is even better than the thread led me to expect.

biggytitbo

I'd watch it if it was just him bitterly railing against everyone in the TV and gaming industry who had crossed him over the years.

madhair60

I woke up laughing about bikini babes. on beat em ups.

up and down.

up and down.

Operty1

I can't wait to find out what makes him such a 'Games Animal', there wasn't much about it in this one, so i hope he expands on it. He should do as there seems to be a lot of merch displaying his logo.

Also, that ending song, i hope he changes it to all other game genres as the series progresses.