Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:14:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dave "Games Animal" Perry Returns

Started by Thursday, November 05, 2018, 08:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Space ghost

I don't understand how bikini babes don't follow fashion.

Operty1

Quote from: Space ghost on November 07, 2018, 11:50:05 AM
I don't understand how bikini babes don't follow fashion.

It's because they're button bashing!

Just been looking at the Games Animal Facebook page, could be a treat coming up soon, he's posted:

'Be prepared for a salty Eurogamer interview. Seems they think i'm Sexist. I thought they said sexy and I answered... 'yes, I think I am!'

Delicious!

biggytitbo

He's like encino man isn't he, put on ice in 98, accidently defrosted in 2018, a man hopelessly out of time. Seems very apt that the Spice Girls have reunited for the occasion though, just need Dominic Diamond back making crude penis jokes on tea time telly now.

I really miss those days, not like now always having to respect people and their differences.

Imagine having the opportunity to play Super Mario 64 before it officially came out and refusing. That makes it even worse.

Consignia

HE DOESNT LIKE THOSE CUTESY NINTENDO GAMES!

Twed

Dave "Games Animal" Perry Returns Super Mario 64 To The Shop For Being Too Difficult

QDRPHNC

I remember being about 13 and watching Gamesmaster, and Dave "Games Animal" Perry was commenting on a match between a teenage boy and a teenage girl and he said, "It's like in boxing, you always bet against the white guy, in video games you always bet against the girl," and even at the time, I thought, erg, that's a bit off.

In conclusion: twat.

Rev+

This is amazing.  I'd assumed he was 'doing a bit of a character' on Gamesmaster but no, that really was him, and he really was that ridiculous.  I'm hoping option 1 wins - how do we vote on that again? - and he drags in his big box of stuff, because whatever he pulls out of it and talks about will somehow become about the great Mario 64 injustice.

New Jack

Yeah but in his defence what did Dexter Fletcher ever go on to do

You can just imagine the scene down at Future when the Nintendo 64 finally arrived from Japan, everyone crowding around, putting their name down for who gets the next go, deadlines getting really fucking tight as everyone's all going mental because a genuine, seismic shift is happening to the artform of video games and it's currently sat in the office. People not going home to their families because a metaphorical time machine is pumping the future into their eyes. They don't even realise it, but this is the greatest, most complete video game that will ever made and nothing that comes after will even come close to it. Everyone bonding over the experience, a few of them going down the bank to extend their overdraft so they can get their own in, Wil Overton sat in a corner just weeping with sheer joy because he can't believe what he's seen.

And Perry's like, "Nah, I'm not having any of that."

Twed

He must know that a truly great professional gamer would have the instincts to at least give that slide section in Mario 64 a fair go on the first try. Deep down, he absolutely must know. Imagine that eating away at you for 20 years. Regressing to the production values and societal norms of 1994, when everything was safe and in two dimensions and all the games had skulls on fire instead of love-plumbers is understandable as a coping mechanism.

biggytitbo

Car crash interview with Dave here - https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-07-dave-perrys-youtuber-debut-shows-some-things-are-best-left-in-the-nineties

He comes across as Alan Partridge but more obnoxious. Here he is on the Mario 64 incident, like a pssge straight out of We Need to Talk About Alan:

QuoteTo be honest, it doesn't bother me that much. But what happened that day was disgusting and I see no reason why I should just smile and say nothing. I will continue to tell the truth about what happened when asked.

It was most importantly the day decent games TV died.

AsparagusTrevor

He tried to be a smartarse with the game, tried keeping Mario static by hopping on the spot rather than sliding down the course properly. That bit never seems to come up in his anecdotes.

madhair60

Space ghost

Wait what the fuck - that's his wife and daughters playing the bikini babes.

Ah no, rused by the sneaky games animal.

madhair60

Quote from: Space ghost on November 08, 2018, 03:34:30 PM
Wait what the fuck - that's his wife and daughters playing the bikini babes

W H A T

Space ghost

False alarm sorry, I should've continued reading. The BBoBEU's are NOT related to the games animal.

QDRPHNC

I can't get it out of my head.

bikiiiiini babes. in beeeeeeat em ups.

biggytitbo

There is a school of thought that the whole thing is a deliberate engineered controversy for marketing purposes and to get his new youtube channel loads of views. Which has worked admittedly, but I'm still not convinced the whole thing is an ironic wheeze and he's having us all one. He clearly means it.

Kelvin

Wonderful to think that the penguin slide will have permanently tainted one of the greatest, most joyful games ever made for him.

Space ghost

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 08, 2018, 04:08:34 PM
There is a school of thought that the whole thing is a deliberate engineered controversy for marketing purposes and to get his new youtube channel loads of views. Which has worked admittedly, but I'm still not convinced the whole thing is an ironic wheeze and he's having us all one. He clearly means it.

Wow fucking hell the thought never crossed my mind.

Twed

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 08, 2018, 04:08:34 PM
Yeah, I think he just doesn't have good judgement when it comes to taste.

biggytitbo

Quote from: Space ghost on November 08, 2018, 04:22:24 PM
Wow fucking hell the thought never crossed my mind.

Yes I know its an obvious observation, but don't you have some smidgen of doubt that he is trolling us all?

Space ghost

I'm almost certain he is. I don't think he gives a single fuck about mario 64 either. It's just the only relevance he has being that guy who got stroppy on gamesmaster. Seem to remember thinking it was all just a 'bit' at the time too. Still funny though.

Twed

Quote from: Space ghost on November 08, 2018, 04:49:55 PM
I'm almost certain he is. I don't think he gives a single fuck about mario 64 either. It's just the only relevance he has being that guy who got stroppy on gamesmaster. Seem to remember thinking it was all just a 'bit' at the time too. Still funny though.
To me it all rings true. He is of a type that I've met a few of. Cockiness that could turn to tears at the slightest challenge, always claiming to be at the top of their field but being held back by people who misunderstand them, and with extremely bad judgement about what people actually want. He is twinned with a games developer I know whose shining moment was a shareware game in the late 90s that he has been remaking every five years since, insisting that this time the world will understand.

They all have the same inconsequential Dani Filth face and voice.

The 90s built up a lot of soppy British men before the 00s dropped them from a cruel height. We're hearing from them again now because there's no barrier to publishing anymore.

biggytitbo

Either way, I suppose now he's seen the reaction he can pretend it is a piss take of 90s tv and have his cake and eat it.