Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:32:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Dave "Games Animal" Perry Returns

Started by Thursday, November 05, 2018, 08:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twed

Quote from: bgmnts on November 08, 2018, 05:05:50 PM
Who is this guy btw?
Well, do you remember the 90s, with its computer games? Dave Perry is a man who had a go on some of them.

bgmnts

Quote from: Twed on November 08, 2018, 05:07:34 PM
Well, do you remember the 90s, with its computer games? Dave Perry is a man who had a go on some of them.

I was a babby in the 90s I remember the last few years yeah.

Whst specifically did he do to raise the ire of cab folk?

Space ghost

Creator of earthworm Jim A leather waistcoast enthusiast and 90's games pundit.

biggytitbo

I don't think anyone had any particular dislike for him, just amusement about the super Mario 64 incident, which has become a legendary moment in retro gaming lore.

His return after many years out of the industry appears to be an horrendous misjudgement, albeit with the slim possibility he is playing us like a fiddle.

New Jack

bgmnts

Just saw the mario 64 thing. Howling.

New Jack

Quote from: bgmnts on November 08, 2018, 05:21:07 PM
Done

Ace. Keep us apprised of comments!

In other news, Violet Berlin is 50

QDRPHNC

And Dominik Diamond currently hosts a Canadian radio show.

Twed

Quote from: New Jack on November 08, 2018, 05:26:47 PM
Violet Berlin
A figure deserving all of the respect she commands (to clarify: very much)

Space ghost

Just clocked this comment on the youtube video of the mario incident

Deep Ghoul
7 months ago

The Montreal Screwjob of gaming.

And it's a shame too, because Dave Perry loved GamesMaster, and for that reason he put up with a lot of the shit that came with it, especially in the later series as GamesMaster became less about games and more of a sketch show for Dominik Diamond. Ultimately Dave was something of an outcast for airing these views, but if you look at the fifth and sixth series, you'll clearly see that Dave was the only working games journalist left on the show, while the rest were hand-picked by Dominik. Apparently, every year Dominik tried to get Dave booted off, and every year Hewland International insisted Dave stayed, because he gave GamesMaster credibility, and you had to have somebody there who cared more about video-games than cracking one-liners and double entendres.

After many rows behind the scenes, and childish face-pulling by Dominik (as seen in the fourth series), Dave was finally stabbed in the back on this very episode and decided enough was enough. It was a shame, but he had seen the best of it. The seventh series was a shambles. In fact, Dave doesn't think everyone else at Hewland even knew they had a final series to make. That's why it all got so cobbled together. Dave was delighted not to have been a part of it.

I see you there Dave Perry.

New Jack

biggytitbo

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 08, 2018, 05:39:43 PM
And Dominik Diamond currently hosts a Canadian radio show.

From Gamesmaster to crucifixion to Canadian radio, a career trajectory even jesus couldn't match.

Thursday

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 08, 2018, 04:08:34 PM
There is a school of thought that the whole thing is a deliberate engineered controversy for marketing purposes and to get his new youtube channel loads of views. Which has worked admittedly, but I'm still not convinced the whole thing is an ironic wheeze and he's having us all one. He clearly means it.

Could swear I checked yesterday and the views were on something like 2800 views, and that seems to have doubled since that Eurogamer article, but that's still tiny for youtube.

I mean, he'll certainly attract sections of people who'll subscribe to "own the libs" or whatever, but I think the weird 90's britishness of it all will be too boring and alien to sustain these people's interest.

lazarou

I can absolutely see the Bikini Babes thing as an attempt to stir up some controversy and get the Real Gamers onboard. If it had even slightly better production values it might even have worked, but he fucked it. The song goes for sleazy but sounds scared it's mum's going to walk in on it, and most crucially for the crowd who care about that stuff, nobody has called that genre of games beat 'em ups since the '90s.

I keep thinking about him trying to corral the girls for that shoot with this fuck-you Benny Benassi-style video in his head and not being able to keep them interested for even five minutes. There's like ten seconds of them even attempting to flap at the buttons intercut with odd b-roll stuff of them looking to camera that doesn't even seem like it should be there. It feels like a pitch-perfect parody of something an incompetent edgelord would make, and there's no chance he was going for that.

The rest of it's all him and not some attempt at a 'bit'. The odd interview has cropped up over the years and he said the same shit there he does here.

QuoteI mean, he'll certainly attract sections of people who'll subscribe to "own the libs" or whatever, but I think the weird 90's britishness of it all will be too boring and alien to sustain these people's interest.

Yeah, I couldn't even make it to the end the first time around, so I missed the music video entirely after being worn down by five minutes of an old man rambling about shit that doesn't matter to anyone but him. And I'm someone with a lot of affection for GamesMaster who had some initial interest in giving it a go. He's not nearly shouty and sarky enough, there's simmering anger but it's less 'angry gamer guy' and more 'about to have an anxiety attack'. The only way I see it working is if he gets co-opted by someone who has more of a clue how that side of YouTube works as some kind of mascot for the old days of 'proper' games journalism. Which wouldn't surprise me.

buzby

Literally devastated that I can't watch this, but laughing at Dave Perry ain't worth creating a Google ID for.

The Video is even better if you miss hear the into jingle as singing Games Arsehole.

New Jack

Quote from: Delete Delete Delete on November 08, 2018, 09:49:20 PM
The Video is even better if you miss hear the into jingle as singing Games Arsehole.

Gay Animals, Got his Arsehole

Operty1

He's selling those T-shirt's through his Facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/GamesAnimalTV/

Bloody £20 plus £4.99 p&p! They seem to be printed wrong, they say 'I Am Games Animal' whereas the T-shirt he wears says 'I Am THE Games Animal' he says he will sign them for you if you want.

The comments under that are a bit 90's, plus more pics of the bikini babes.

GAMESANIMAL!

New Jack

Quote from: Operty1 on November 08, 2018, 10:23:37 PM
He's selling those T-shirt's through his Facebook page:

https://m.facebook.com/GamesAnimalTV/

Bloody £20 plus £4.99 p&p! They seem to be printed wrong, they say 'I Am Games Animal' whereas the T-shirt he wears says 'I Am THE Games Animal' he says he will sign them for you if you want.

If he had any fiscal sensibilities he'd do £20 signed, £30 unsigned

Kryton

They say he's more games than animal. But more animal than man. The Gamimanimal.

Operty1

I like that his YouTube banner includes 2 Nintendo consoles and no Sega hardware whatsoever, despite making the point that he hates Nintendo and was a Sega fan boy.

Games Animal!

brat-sampson

I don't care if it's an overused analogy, but this is basically the The Room of videogames Youtubing. That Eurogamer interview was incredible, especially as you really feel like the journalist went in hoping to get some kind of reasonable explanation but ended up with... that.

QuoteWhat was the thinking behind the bikini babes section?

Dave Perry: I came up with the song while I was tattooing one day and thought it was catchy, silly and very 80s/90s, so we recorded it and then made the video for the fun of it. Which is the best reason to do anything.

My wife and four daughters didn't mind hamming it up in the bikinis for me. We had a fun day.

I knew it would cause controversy, but I love sexism!

Bikini Babes on Beat'em-UPS is the bomb. We have been offered the opportunity to release a longer version.

They're your wife and four daughters in the bikinis in the video?

Dave Perry: Yes.

I can't tell if you're being serious or joking!

Dave Perry: Why? What's wrong with them?

Nothing's wrong with them, I just don't know if I'd want to film them waving their tits about in a YouTube video so pervy men could get off on it. And I say that as a husband and father of a daughter.

Dave Perry: Blimey!

Of course they are not my wife and daughters.

They are the Game Babes!

Just having fun with you.

Fucking hell.

Dave Perry: Indeed.

It's so perfectly not-good-enough-to-be-a-professional-making-a-joke-and-not-bad-enough-to-have-been-said-by-a-professional-playing-a-character.

New Jack

I don't understand the fuss. I bought Sky magazine every month and wanked myself into oblivion in the 90s. Keepin the spirit of 90s alive.

Thursday

Is it just me or does it almost reads like he backed off and suddenly pretended they weren't really his daughters because the interviewer was so horrified.. "Nah nah only joking, they're the Game Babes... The Game Babes are my wife and daughters."

Z

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 08, 2018, 04:08:34 PM
There is a school of thought that the whole thing is a deliberate engineered controversy for marketing purposes and to get his new youtube channel loads of views. Which has worked admittedly, but I'm still not convinced the whole thing is an ironic wheeze and he's having us all one. He clearly means it.
10K views?

biggytitbo

I think thats quite good for a brand new channel. I reckon without all the publicity about its incredible badness, it would be on way less than that.