Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 01:16:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'Sorry Dr Rock, you are banned from using this forum! Dont come back this time.'

Started by No Name Maddox, November 06, 2018, 10:54:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: Kelvin on November 08, 2018, 05:34:37 PM

I also think poo became lazier - and therefore, more problematic - as time went on, and provided less absurd context for his statements. Towards the end, he was sometimes just saying things along the lines of "I want to fuck some sluts", without the ridiculous, parodic language/ideas surrounding it. You needed that absurdity to make his sexual vulgarity equally ridiculous.     

I believe this is called irony poisoning.

Blue Jam

Personally I found all the Jellied Clowne Egg stuff painfully unfunny, and the poo imitators even worse. I've never found that kind of whimsy amusing and considered that whole LOLRANDOM phase to be a bit of a low point. With stuff like LEGEND GARY everyone is at least in on the joke and can join in, the whimsy posts were just selfish bits of attention-seeking which seemed to scream "Look at MEEEEEEEE! TELL ME HOW FUNNY I AM! GIVE ME KARMA!"

That's the thing I don't get, and I know I wasn't alone there. I thought poo was actually alright when he was being himself but the whimsy was beyond tedious.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: bgmnts on November 08, 2018, 05:46:53 PM
Most amount of times the word whimsy has been used in a post?

I'm sure one of poo's long form poems had more occurrences (coupled with mimsy, of course).

Barry Admin

Well people have since embraced the idea of HS Art, so perhaps it's best to move on.

saltysnacks

HS Art is where the serious work happens. I think it should be required that you post in it at least once a week.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 08, 2018, 05:55:38 PM
Well people have since embraced the idea of HS Art, so perhaps it's best to move on.

Fair enough. Incidentally, what do the H and the S stand for? I remember when the name changed from Up Your Arts and never got round to asking.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Twit 2 on November 08, 2018, 05:22:52 PM
Like Pjjjillssttarrttt but with bums.

No, really not. There's nothing LOLRANDOM or lazy about Pijlstaart's humour.

non capisco

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 08, 2018, 06:02:05 PM
Fair enough. Incidentally, what do the H and the S stand for? I remember when the name changed from Up Your Arts and never got round to asking.

Named after a Swell Maps tune. 'trash' backwards, innit?

Fuckin love a bit of Swell Maps, me.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 08, 2018, 06:02:05 PM

Swell Maps track. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hj5_9xQ9Pw

EDIT:  Stupid linksearch slowed me down.  And it doesn't even work.

Barry Admin

That's the one. People have sometimes thought it was me being snide and judgey, but I just hate coming up with forum names and such, and love that song.

Sin Agog

While you're here, is Oscillations named after the Silver Apples tune?  I know I started a thread asking that once, but I don't think you were about to answer.

earl_sleek

Quote from: bgmnts on November 08, 2018, 02:34:47 PM
I had to google slutwalk and I am sad that there are none in my local area.

Have you looked in your anus?

Ferris

Quote from: saltysnacks on November 08, 2018, 06:00:37 PM
HS Art is where the serious work happens. I think it should be required that you post in it at least once a week.

Finally someone talking sense.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 08, 2018, 06:13:06 PM
That's the one. People have sometimes thought it was me being snide and judgey, but I just hate coming up with forum names and such, and love that song.

What was that motto(?) you used to have on the old front page about 'vacillating' or something? I used to like that.

BlodwynPig

canadagoose

With regard to poo, I had generally assumed that the "sluts" he mentioned were male, as I'd thought the character he was playing was a sort of typical lad character with a closeted love of penises and anuses. I can understand Blue Jam and Buelligan being uncomfortable with the word, though. Maybe it'd be better if he'd gone on about the "horny bastards" in Trago Mills car park or something. Anyway, it's in the past now. Probably.

New Jack

BlodwynPig

When it comes to rude words, I often replace a vowel with another to try and reduce its potential for offence

Slits
Slots
Slats

Slets!

Pdine

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 08, 2018, 03:47:34 PM
Re: the reclaiming slurs thing- is it wrong that I'm totally on board with this, but much less sympathetic to this?

Rejection of Tim Minchin should be absolute and across the board.

Twit 2

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 08, 2018, 06:03:25 PM
No, really not. There's nothing LOLRANDOM or lazy about Pijlstaart's humour.

I think you missed my point. At their best, poo's posts were not random or lazy; they were carefully worded and had a consistent interior logic. At peak he was just as much of a comedy character as Pijlstaart, posting from an absurd parallel word. (Of course, P-start is the better wordsmith overall  and writes in a completely different style, but I think their dedication to creating a comic persona is/was similar.)

New Jack

Man, considering I use my spirit animal as my avatar yet post directly with zero artifice (sadly), I'm wondering if I'm the only non gimmick left!

CaB is the first place I ever heard the term "sockpuppet"

Blinder Data

I love how people read such different things in poo's posts. Like Twit 2 and others I saw artistry. I bet some people are repeating the phrase "hello sluts I want to live in your anus" as evidence of the infantile coarseness he pumped out - but when I read it I laugh. However that ship ran its course. RIP poo, may your spirit live on somehow :(

Anyway, on topic a tricky situation Barry. Fully understand how you feel deceived. Might he have come back under another name without telling you because he knew he'd receive short shrift if he came back as the same poster/character? He seems to have changed a lot, his posting style and demeanour makes you do a virtual double take. A time-out to think things through probably best

Brundle-Fly

While we are here? Where is the other 'Dr' these days? Dr Syntax Head hasn't posted here in weeks.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: New Jack on November 08, 2018, 06:51:29 PM
Man, considering I use my spirit animal as my avatar yet post directly with zero artifice (sadly), I'm wondering if I'm the only non gimmick left!

You're not the only one - I'm basically the same on here as I am in real life, and on every other forum I've been a member of.  The only artifice is that this is my second CaB identity, but that's only cos my previous username was the first part of my email address (schoolboy error) so I had to be careful what I talked about on here.  Now I can talk about bums and willys with gusto.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Kelvin on November 08, 2018, 05:34:37 PM
He was playing a grotesque or extreme caricature. I do think that earns you some leeway with the things you say, especially on a comedy forum like CaB.

That said, I also understand why women, who have to put up with legitimate sexism every day, might be less willing to tolerate that language, even in the context of a ludicrous character. I'm not sure how you square that circle, or if there is a right answer, when both sides have a valid argument, imo.

I also think poo became lazier - and therefore, more problematic - as time went on, and provided less absurd context for his statements. Towards the end, he was sometimes just saying things along the lines of "I want to fuck some sluts", without the ridiculous, parodic language/ideas surrounding it. You needed that absurdity to make his sexual vulgarity equally ridiculous.     

Your perception of course but I think you are trying to fashion a narrative that wouldn't be the case if you delved through his post history.

New Jack

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 08, 2018, 07:13:48 PM
You're not the only one - I'm basically the same on here as I am in real life, and on every other forum I've been a member of.  The only artifice is that this is my second CaB identity, but that's only cos my previous username was the first part of my email address (schoolboy error) so I had to be careful what I talked about on here.  Now I can talk about bums and willys with gusto.

Good on ye. No adopting a facade for our shit-piss bonanzas! No masks for our dirty parties, lads! Balding optional (if only, eh?)