Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:02:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Tetris Effect

Started by The Boston Crab, November 07, 2018, 06:07:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Anyone else just watch the trailer ten times in a row crying?

https://youtu.be/Mr8fVT_Ds4Q

NoSleep

Maybe it's the horrible music causing it (one viewing is enough for me).

It isn't just Tetris that causes that effect; I get it on any game where there is a high degree of hand/eye coordination; The Robotron Effect.

You literally have no soul, my friend. That said, thanks for getting me into electric Miles Davis many years ago.

NoSleep

Consignia

It looks ace. Looking forward to it.

hedgehog90

It's Tetris.

It's literally just Tetris.

Kelvin

First half of that trailer is pretty amazing, I must admit.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Why was it full of circles and triangles? Two shapes that look nothing like Tetris blocks.

bgmnts

Tetris music used to be alqrm clock, ringtone, running music twice a year and my choice of funeral music.

Its fucking ace. I want to do that weird Russian skit-down dance every time its on and go "hey! hey! hey!".

Consignia

Quote from: hedgehog90 on November 07, 2018, 10:29:41 AM
It's Tetris.

It's literally just Tetris.

Best game ever though, tbf.

I think I'm having a nervous breakdown. I just cried at a custard cream.

NoSleep

It's the biscuit equivalent of that music.

boki

Quote from: The Boston Crab on November 07, 2018, 02:45:11 PM
I think I'm having a nervous breakdown. I just cried at a custard cream.

Have you been hanging out with Pingers?

Thursday

People are really going crazy for this and I'm confused.. it's just Tetris with some pretty but distracting effects and a less good soundtrack.

I'm not saying the music is bad, but can you seriously say anything beats the original music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN8Cq5HEBug

Fucking banger mate.

No I mean it I'm going to snap. Just my fault that I always communicate in this tone but I'm going to have to make some changes.

Just in case anyone is worrying, I'm absolutely not going to kill myself or anything like that. I'm far too angry for any of that. I will make some changes though promptly before I fucking wipe some absolute pricks out of existence.

Twed

Just don't wipe them on the curtains.

boki

Quote from: Thursday on November 07, 2018, 06:06:43 PMI'm not saying the music is bad, but can you seriously say anything beats the original music?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sN8Cq5HEBug

mate

Thursday

You're right, I was being lazy.

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 07, 2018, 11:00:58 AM
Why was it full of circles and triangles? Two shapes that look nothing like Tetris blocks.

Playstation button symbols innit?  It's a kind of visual trademark for Sony.

brat-sampson

I mean, on the one hand, yes, it's Tetris.

On the other, a) Tetris is a Perfect Game and b) this is the greatest version of Tetris ever produced.

Hard to give it a bad score, really.

I played an hour of this tonight. It's the best music game ever made. The dynamic changes made me laugh with happiness and well up. It's sheer joy. This is the game of the year, I mean it.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: brat-sampson on November 10, 2018, 07:30:11 AM
I mean, on the one hand, yes, it's Tetris.

On the other, a) Tetris is a Perfect Game and b) this is the greatest version of Tetris ever produced.

Except Tetris stopped being Tetris when the Tetris Company decided to slightly break the game for every iteration forwards from, I don't know, the late 90s? Thereby locking the Gameboy version as the unimproveable best actual Tetris. Unless they've undone those rule changes since.

(There might have been something about the preview block that I forget, but the one I remember is a rule change so that blocks didn't lock in place in time with their falling speed like they do on the Gameboy. So you could rotate a block all over the place once it had landed.)

Quote from: Thursday on November 07, 2018, 06:06:43 PM
People are really going crazy for this and I'm confused.. it's just Tetris with some pretty but distracting effects and a less good soundtrack.

I'm not saying the music is bad, but can you seriously say anything beats the original music?

The genius (and I mean genius) of Tetris Effect is the dynamism and synchronicity of the music and visuals. Every movement and rotation, pretty much, adds to the soundtrack or imagery or modifies it in some way that somehow feels like it's not only a part of the soundtrack but that you're 'playing' the soundtrack and also the visuals. It's beyond a 'flow state' kind of relaxation and focus. It's a sensory overload, very euphoric. I've always felt a synaesthesia kind of link between music and colour, like, all music has a colour palette to me that I could consistently describe. I'm sure everyone does to some extent. This seems to push those buttons in a really intense way, though, it's like nothing I've ever played.

I can't even imagine what it's like in VR but this is something I will have to experience at some point.

Blue Jam

Quote from: bgmnts on November 07, 2018, 11:02:36 AM
Tetris music used to be alqrm clock, ringtone, running music twice a year and my choice of funeral music.

Its fucking ace. I want to do that weird Russian skit-down dance every time its on and go "hey! hey! hey!".

https://youtu.be/d9TeaSAlVkY

Some actual Kossack dancing there. Not sure what the Kendo is doing in there.

buntyman

This sounds amazing. I've been deciding whether to get a ps4 or xbox one for ages but i think this has swayed me. £35 seems quite expensive for it though

It is and it isn't, basically. It depends on what you look for in a game. Christ, I'll try to be less inane. In short, I'm looking for peak experiences with games, for the most part, over time investment opportunities and this is all about the peak experience. I'd rather play ten hours of this than fifty hours of God of War or whatever.

My top games of the year are Ikaruga, Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate, Psyvariar Delta and Dragonball FighterZ. All are challenging, euphoric and incredibly rewarding. This is the best of them all.

I've now played about a dozen stages and this is mind blowing. The visuals and instrumentation and beats and melodies are amazing. It's very 90s, actually, in terms of music, like a fusion of 'world music', ambient and deep house, really reminds me of like Global Communication or something and then they'll throw in something like the Downtown Jazz stage and you're totally wrongfooted.

This is one of my favourites so far, Karma Wheel.

https://youtu.be/bSuNuigtEMs

Serious skills, too.