Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:39:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Spoddy musical deconstruction videos

Started by daf, November 07, 2018, 02:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoSleep

Quote from: daf on November 07, 2018, 02:17:03 PM

What Makes This Song Great? :
Every Little Thing She Does is magic
Let's Dance
Paranoid Android

I came across Rick Beato on YT just this last week and watched his video about why Perfect Pitch is not something you can learn but something you have or don't have dependent on what music you were exposed to as an infant; fascinating stuff (perfect pitch is a function of the part of our brain that determines our acquisition of the speech through listening to and trying to understand the speech patterns of those around us before we even know what they are saying).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=816VLQNdPMM

Shit Good Nose

I can highly highly recommend Dave Frank's "masterclass" vids https://www.youtube.com/user/Dfrankjazz/videos

Everything from music lessons to analysing and deconstructing songs and albums.  There's a brilliant one where he puts on the Grateful Dead's Dark Star from Live/Dead in the background, and then explains its composition and the way the improvisation works as it goes along.  Fascinating stuff.

daf

Nice one! Just spotted one on Liberace - plumping up the cushion for that!

daf

Quote from: NoSleep on November 07, 2018, 02:33:46 PM
I came across Rick Beato on YT just this last week and watched his video about why Perfect Pitch

That was great - I vaguely thought perfect pitch was just when you could tell if a note was flat or sharp. But it's apparently the ability to identify the names of random notes played - as his son did - amazing superpower!

I can't name a single note, but I had a some mild synesthesia in my teens, that meant I saw chords as colours :

C = Orange
A = Dark Blue
D = Red
G = Terracotta
E = Dark Green holly leaf glossy with water (!)
B = Brown
F = Light Green

Johnny Yesno

I've been enjoying the videos of Adam Neely. Probably because they remind me of the happy times when I was doing my degree.

Why pop music sounds bad (to you): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpPSF7-Ctlc

daf

Interesting, I think he's on to something there - I'd also say it's harder to get excited about new music after around 30, like learning a new language, it's feels like a bit of an effort & it never really connects deep inside like it used to.

My cocaine bands would be :

13 : The Police / Elvis Costello & The Attractions / The Smiths
14 : The Boomtown Rats / The Beatles / Pink Floyd /
15 : Focus / Early Genesis / Jimi Hendrix
16 : XTC / Robyn Hitchcock & The Egyptians / Richard Thompson

The only ones that faded away over time were Focus, The Boomtown Rats and Richard Thompson - everything else went in DEEP & got the complete discography treatment!

Johnny Yesno

I wasn't really listening to music until I was 16/17. Perhaps that's why I have no real sense of when music was great. That said, the Cure got me listening to music in the first place and their early music will always have a special place in my heart, so perhaps they are my cocaine band.

NoSleep

Trying to think what records really stick from that period of my life; Axis: Bold As Love by Hendrix & Waiting For The Sun by The Doors, early Canned Heat (bought as singles and EPs in Australia), Piper At The Gates Of Dawn by Pink Floyd (especially Astronomy Domine and Interstellar Overdrive), Mr Fantasy by Traffic (not so keen on the Dave Mason psychedelia by numbers but the more soulful, jazzy, folky tracks, particularly the title track and Coloured Rain). A single by Aussie band The Master's Apprentices - Buried & Dead (and only the A-side). Wheels Of Fire by Cream. Bare Wires by John Mayall and also the "Beano Album" as it's known, Big Brother & The Holding Company, Merrilee Rush's cover of Reach Out (which has outlasted my interest in its inspiration, Vanilla Fudge, who I find barely listenable now).

I still hadn't heard my most favourite music (apart from Hendrix) but all of those records are pointers to where I was headed (at least from my own perspective). I'd yet to hear The Stooges & MC5, Pink Fairies, Hawkwind, Gong, Soft Machine & Egg (the whole Canterbury scene), The United States Of America, The Mothers Of Invention, Can, Faust, Pere Ubu, Chrome, Miles Davis, Howlin' Wolf, Robert Johnson, Memphis Minnie, Muddy Waters, Jimmy Rogers, John Fahey, Derek Bailey (and the whole improv scene that emerged), Hans Reichel, Duke Ellington (really only listening to his music for the first time in the last 4 years was like finally arriving home; all roads inevitably lead to him), Captain Beefheart, Sun Ra, This Heat, (more, lots of) Miles Davis, Hermeto Pascoal, Eddie Palmieri, Terry Riley, Harry Partch, John Mclaughlin, John Surman, Carla Bley, Chick Corea (especially his avant garde stuff before he got Scientology), Art Ensemble Of Chicago...

And I haven't even got started on Funk, Hip Hop or Reggae there. Sly, Earth Wind & Fire, Lee Perry, Big Youth, PE, Ultras, Main Source... age 14 was the tip of the iceberg.

NoSleep

There's not much music that actually sounds bad to me, but most music isn't very interesting, doesn't sound different.

NoSleep

Thinking about it, I guess most people, as he says, remember that first time they get a rush from music and remember that music. But I think I remembered the rush and tried to reproduce that as many times subsequently as was practically possible, so was always in pursuit of new music that would surprise me (and blow me away). I became an addict.

Magma, Les Rallizes Denudes, Henry Flynt, C.C. Hennix, La Monte Young...

I also think memories connected to music can boost them up the all times fave list. Even if you weren't intrested in those songs at the time. I've found myself going through old Now albums and have had memories connected to songs come flooding back. Even songs from the past decade.

NoSleep

Music takes me back to places; I find myself standing somewhere, in my mind's eye; a street corner in Croydon or London, a park, a view. Sometimes it has a direct connection to the music in some way (maybe it was the on the route to the record shop where I bought it), sometimes I can't make the connection (I didn't even know that music when I went that place). Definitely some of those places are from around the age of 14, when I lived in Australia.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: NoSleep on November 08, 2018, 08:27:46 PM
Thinking about it, I guess most people, as he says, remember that first time they get a rush from music and remember that music. But I think I remembered the rush and tried to reproduce that as many times subsequently as was practically possible, so was always in pursuit of new music that would surprise me (and blow me away).

Yes, that's my experience too. It's not so much the specific sound but the feeling of being taken somewhere new and unexpected.