Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 11:46:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Potter [split topic]

Started by bgmnts, May 15, 2018, 02:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on November 07, 2018, 08:01:12 AM
Superheroes? No problem. Harry Potter? But it's for children!

This is literally just true though.

Uncle TechTip

They have curses in Harry Potter too you know.

Chollis

I had no idea mild-mannered Harry Potter made people so ANGRY!!!!!!

bgmnts

Can you imagine a world where you replace Harry Potter with something really dark and depressimg, like Conrad's Heart of Darkness or something?

Would be ace.

gilbertharding

So we're agreed. Harry Potter is ok. It's fine. Anyone over the age of 10 who thinks the books and/or JK Rowling is any more than that, or any less, is almost certainly wrong.

Close the thread.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 07, 2018, 02:07:59 PM
So we're agreed. Harry Potter is ok. It's fine. Anyone over the age of 10 who thinks the books and/or JK Rowling is any more than that, or any less, is almost certainly wrong.

Close the thread.

Nope, just checked. Still a twee coda at the edge of oblivion.

Space ghost

Over five years old this thread.

Quote from: saltysnacks on November 07, 2018, 01:16:47 AM
I'm just going to come out and say adults shouldn't like Harry Potter and all who do need to grow up.

But Harry Potter is, or would be, an adult-and I don't mean Dan Radish, who played him.  The books have eleven year-old Harry start secondary school in 1991, so he would be thirty-eight by now.

saltysnacks

Quote from: Phoenix Lazarus on November 07, 2018, 07:13:37 PM
But Harry Potter is, or would be, an adult-and I don't mean Dan Radish, who played him.  The books have eleven year-old Harry start secondary school in 1991, so he would be thirty-eight by now.

I don't mean this in an arsey way, but....your point?

Twed

All fiction is aimed at an audience that is the same the age of its lead character. Legally, you have to be 72 before you're allowed to watch Worzel Gummidge.

bgmnts

Quote from: saltysnacks on November 07, 2018, 01:16:47 AM
I'm just going to come out and say adults shouldn't like Harry Potter and all who do need to grow up.

You can't come out in two different threads.

Quote from: saltysnacks on November 07, 2018, 07:55:53 PM
I don't mean this in an arsey way, but....your point?

Sorry.  Misread your quote as 'adults shouldn't be like Harry Potter."

Mister Six

Quote from: Twed on November 07, 2018, 08:12:33 PM
All fiction is aimed at an audience that is the same the age of its lead character. Legally, you have to be 72 before you're allowed to watch Worzel Gummidge.

Doctor Who's audience is especially niche.

saltysnacks

I think there is a genuine division to be made between two kinds of statement with the same words. 'You shouldn't do that' and 'You shouldn't do that. People who make a fetish of free speech/expression/choice seem to think that every time the phrase 'you shouldn't do that' is uttered, there is some kind of call for legislation. When I say you shouldn't read Harry Potter, I mean it as an adult telling another adult that you shouldn't really be wasting time on something that is far beneath your potential. It is a normative expression and an opinion, and I certainly wouldn't ban Harry Potter (well....), but I think we currently live in a culture that is far too infantile. I have no problem with pop culture, I consider The Fall to be one of the greatest projects of the 20th century, but pop culture today largely seems to be defined as anything shat out by the The Democratic Republic of Disney, if I have to see another fucking video essay on a Marvel film, I swear to Christ! These creations are infantile, numbing and offer almost nothing beyond illustrating the ideology of our day.

If it helps you get through a shit day, fine, but it can become a crutch and it is really worthwhile to engage with more meaningful content. If you like stuff that is 'childlike' or 'fantastical' Alan Garner or TH White would be a fine replacement.

marquis_de_sad

Quote from: saltysnacks on November 08, 2018, 04:05:57 PM
I think there is a genuine division to be made between two kinds of statement with the same words. 'You shouldn't do that' and 'You shouldn't do that.'

Maybe these italics would help clarify your point (if I understand it correctly).

saltysnacks

Quote from: marquis_de_sad on November 08, 2018, 04:55:31 PM
Maybe these italics would help clarify your point (if I understand it correctly).

That is definitely an element, but it is mainly the difference between a crime and something that is maybe a little undignified.