Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,476
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:44:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Potter [split topic]

Started by bgmnts, May 15, 2018, 02:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby Ralgex

Michael Caine's worst film.

Apart from The Hand. And everything he did in the 70's and 80's.

Dr Rock

Do the books actually teach kids big/fancy words, apart from the stupid made-up ones like 'muggles'? Or does she dumb it down because it's for kids? What are some big words that are in Harry Potter? Thanks.

machotrouts

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 28, 2018, 10:05:03 AM
Do the books actually teach kids big/fancy words, apart from the stupid made-up ones like 'muggles'? Or does she dumb it down because it's for kids? What are some big words that are in Harry Potter? Thanks.

Ejaculated

Icehaven

Quote from: Chollis on October 26, 2018, 03:19:49 PM

I was 18 in 1997 and I'm pretty sure I had no awareness of Harry Potter at all until I started working in a library in 2003. Must have lived under a rock.

mothman

I read the first three books in three nights in... early 2001, I think. I recall being vaguely aware they'd become this literary sensation (if that's the right phrase) but after all this time I'm not certain.

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: Dr Rock on October 28, 2018, 10:05:03 AM

The quoted reading ages for Harry Potter are pretty high, but largely because of the made up ones, yes.

Does she dumb it down because it's for kids?  How should I know, do you think I'm JK Rowling?  Easy mistake to make.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: icehaven on October 28, 2018, 03:45:09 PM
I was 18 in 1997 and I'm pretty sure I had no awareness of Harry Potter at all until I started working in a library in 2003. Must have lived under a rock.

More evidence that Harry Poater started in mid-2000s.

Thursday

Quote from: Mister Six on October 26, 2018, 06:02:12 AM
Read the first four books. They're all good fun but the third is the only one that's properly good. The fourth needs a severe hacking down, and I couldn't be bothered after that because the editor clearly couldn't either

Seen all the films. The first two are shit, the third is splendid and the rest are perfectly fine.

You're welcome.

I've only read the first four as well. I would have been 14 when the 4th once came out, and then there was a huge gap between that and the 5th one. I was doing A-Levels so I was obviously too old and mature for it by that point.

but yeah everyone seems to agree the 3rd one is the best. Goes a bit darker, expands the world out beyond Hogwarts a bit, has a decent twist, but doesn't lose sight of being a fun knockabout wizard school adventure.

Dannyhood91

I'm going to put forth my highly esteemed and saught after opinion that I think Harry Potter is shit.

Bye xxxxxxxx

gilbertharding

I'm 50 next birthday, and have no kids. Happily, this means I have never been under any obligation to read the books or watch the films. I caught about 10 minutes of one of them one Christmas, but had no clue what was going on. It looked alright though, I suppose.

My wife spent the last 20 years as a primary school teacher, but has also resisted all attempts to make her read them.

My yardstick for this would be how do they compare to Tolkien and CS Lewis - books which are also for children?

Dr Rock

Why would any child want to read about other children? Read about Judge Dredd or something normal.

marquis_de_sad

Future comedian: "Remember Dobby? Remember Hufflepuff? Remember 'You're a wizard Harry'? Remember being able to walk outside without a gas mask? Remember Snape?"

Dog Botherer

Quote from: gilbertharding on October 30, 2018, 12:13:17 PM
I'm 50 next birthday, and have no kids. Happily, this means I have never been under any obligation to read the books or watch the films. I caught about 10 minutes of one of them one Christmas, but had no clue what was going on. It looked alright though, I suppose.

My wife spent the last 20 years as a primary school teacher, but has also resisted all attempts to make her read them.

My yardstick for this would be how do they compare to Tolkien and CS Lewis - books which are also for children?

Better than Lewis, who I always found incredibly dull as a kid. Loved LOTR but the prose is tough going unless you're a fucking nerdy wee cunt (which I was). HP would be a bit closer in tone to The Hobbit, I guess. No bad thing.

My verdict as someone who grew up reading the books and watching the movies is that they're fine. Not worth the insane love, not worth the insane hate. Pop culture and the media's obsession with them is fucking nauseating though.

Also, this shit, whilst a bit depressing, can absolutely get in fucking grave

https://twitter.com/Ned_Donovan/status/1056676982514221056

Bad Ambassador

I first heard of of HP on the day the third book was published, since my local news ran a report from a bookshop where kids were going crazy for this new wizard book all the kids are talking about.

Mister Six

Quote from: Dog Botherer on October 30, 2018, 02:10:43 PM
Also, this shit, whilst a bit depressing, can absolutely get in fucking grave

https://twitter.com/Ned_Donovan/status/1056676982514221056

Nah, stories that mean something to someone can help them get through hard times. That's a nice thing. 

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mister Six on October 31, 2018, 06:44:00 PM
Nah, stories that mean something to someone can help them get through hard times. That's a nice thing.

How will Harry stop her being carted off by the Brazilian militia?

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 31, 2018, 06:50:35 PM

Don't be thick

BlodwynPig

Quote from: chveik on October 31, 2018, 06:53:18 PM
Don't be thick

Mister Six

Quote from: BlodwynPig on October 31, 2018, 11:10:33 PM

He won't, because he's fictional. What's your point?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mister Six on November 01, 2018, 01:30:07 AM
He won't, because he's fictional. What's your point?

Harry Potter helping people through hard times. Can't stop a bullet. He's fictional. Sentimental bullshit.

Mister Six

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 01, 2018, 02:09:45 AM
Harry Potter helping people through hard times. Can't stop a bullet. He's fictional. Sentimental bullshit.

I've seen you saying stuff like this before. You should probably know that it doesn't make you look like a cool, iconoclastic realist, it makes you look like a boring, insecure cunt.

And you're wrong - those later books are thick enough to stop artillery shells.

Twed

Quote from: Mister Six on October 31, 2018, 06:44:00 PM
JW Rowling should be looked up to because she wrote a book about wizards that people find comforting

Due to being an absolute fucking cunt.

Mister Six

Urinal Cake

Decent moral lessons. Decent spectacle.

Harry Potter books and novels are okay and fine respectively. JK Rowling othvseems like a bit of a chancer who has exploited her creation not only monetarily but also politically and culturally.

People growing up with the books I expect it's natural to make comparisons with real life. But then Rowling has to step in it e.g Dumbledore's Army.

Jerzy Bondov

This new film Crimes of Grindlewald, is that the worst possible name for a film? Crimes of Grindlewald. What is that. The arrogance of it. Ah yeah everyone knows Grindelwald and is gagging to find out about its crimes. Honestly.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mister Six on November 01, 2018, 03:55:08 AM
I've seen you saying stuff like this before. You should probably know that it doesn't make you look like a cool, iconoclastic realist, it makes you look like a boring, insecure cunt.

And you're wrong - those later books are thick enough to stop artillery shells.

Here we go again. You can prance about in your Potter comfort blanket, but it doesn't make me insecure to say what I said.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mister Six on November 01, 2018, 04:13:19 AM
Yawn.

That there is a person feeling insecure. I'm sorry if you felt offended, but can we not also have opposing opinions. Perhaps these comments come across as trite or spiteful, but I do detest the "popular franchise solves all problem" whilst problems persist.

Bad Ambassador

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 01, 2018, 09:39:11 AM
This new film Crimes of Grindlewald, is that the worst possible name for a film? Crimes of Grindlewald. What is that. The arrogance of it. Ah yeah everyone knows Grindelwald and is gagging to find out about its crimes. Honestly.

Some thing as last year when the fifth Pirates of the Caribbean film had its non-US subtitle changed from Dead Men Tell No Tales (an ominous-sounding use of a piratical legend that's part of the actual song on the original ride) to Salazar's Revenge (who is that and why do they want revenge oh right i dont care off to see wonder woman).

Mister Six

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 01, 2018, 12:11:27 PM
That there is a person feeling insecure. I'm sorry if you felt offended, but can we not also have opposing opinions. Perhaps these comments come across as trite or spiteful, but I do detest the "popular franchise solves all problem" whilst problems persist.

It doesn't solve all problems, it makes people feel less shit about the problems they have in their lives, just like I assume being a maungy arsehole on here makes you feel better about your own.

While you're up on your high horse, why don't you ride off and solve some of those problems yourself rather than pissing about on here?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Mister Six on November 01, 2018, 01:01:48 PM
It doesn't solve all problems, it makes people feel less shit about the problems they have in their lives, just like I assume being a maungy arsehole on here makes you feel better about your own.

While you're up on your high horse, why don't you ride off and solve some of those problems yourself rather than pissing about on here?

Absolute rank cunt post. You'd think you had stocks and shares invested in Saint Harry's Fiefdom or are you one of the bleeding heart liberals we've come to despise.