Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:12:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Harry Potter [split topic]

Started by bgmnts, May 15, 2018, 02:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

I trods in a massive cow shit in Grindelwald in 1992 so I'm heartened to hear its crimes are about to be punished.  On the plus side, they like their frites and beers.

shiftwork2

Quote from: Mister Six on November 01, 2018, 01:01:48 PM
maungy arsehole

My daily name for our business manager is sorted for tomorrow, cheers nice one.

Sin Agog

Oh, come on.  A person has the right to feel queazy about naifs turning J.K. Rowling into a modern-day Sybil.  That last leftie-bashing book she wrote was cuntery of the first degree.  She is constantly trying to use her parental control to steer the thoughts of all her little adopted children across the world.  Being weary or critical of that state of affairs is perfectly acceptable.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 01, 2018, 08:59:54 PM
Oh, come on.  A person has the right to feel queazy about naifs turning J.K. Rowling into a modern-day Sybil.  That last leftie-bashing book she wrote was cuntery of the first degree.  She is constantly trying to use her parental control to steer the thoughts of all her little adopted children across the world.  Being weary or critical of that state of affairs is perfectly acceptable.

Basically, this.

monolith

Anything that brings joy to someone's life is obviously a good thing, particularly if they get very little respite from their otherwise tough lives.

Not quite sure how that is so hard to fathom.

Perhaps having schadenfreude, sneering and mockery as your main outlets make it difficult to grasp.

chveik

Quote from: monolith on November 02, 2018, 07:24:36 PM
Anything that brings joy to someone's life is obviously a good thing, particularly if they get very little respite from their otherwise tough lives.

Perhaps having schadenfreude, sneering and mockery as your main outlets make it difficult to grasp.

very well said

BlodwynPig

#toughlivesmatter

Sebastian Cobb

SFC.

I'll leave it up to you to decide whether the 'c' stands for children or not.

Half-Blood Prince is enjoyably dark.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: monolith on November 02, 2018, 08:16:35 PM
Indeed! Hope you find some joy in yours. x

All the joy in the world. Me and the animals.

Twed

This could easily be a defense of rape. Which is why it's a shit argument unless appended with "if it harms nobody else". And although Harry Potter clearly isn't rape, it is potentially detrimental to society at large, and has given an immense amount of power to a figure with questionable political views.

monolith

I didn't think a Brazilian woman reading Harry Potter was harming anyone, fair play if she was using it as a weapon though.

Quote from: Twed on November 03, 2018, 04:46:56 PMalthough Harry Potter clearly isn't rape, it is potentially detrimental to society at large

Why?

BlodwynPig

Look at the hatred its inspiring in this thread ;)

marquis_de_sad

although making me clean my room clearly isn't rape, it is potentially detrimental to society at large, mummy

Quote from: Twed on November 03, 2018, 04:46:56 PM
And although Harry Potter clearly isn't rape...

*record scratch*

*freeze frame*

"Yep, that's me. You're probably wondering how I ended up making this argument..."

chveik

saltysnacks

Harry Potter and The Accusation of Rape.

gatchamandave

bgmnts

Why can't we just hate on Harry Potter because its a literal black hole of culture.

Why is the word rape even appearing?

BlodwynPig

Isnt there a character called rape in it?

Gulftastic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 04, 2018, 02:49:02 PM
Isnt there a character called rape in it?

Half Blood Prince has Ron being dosed with a rape-drug.

Twed

Quote from: bgmnts on November 04, 2018, 07:17:48 AM
Why can't we just hate on Harry Potter because its a literal black hole of culture.

Why is the word rape even appearing?
I was just pointing out the effervescent stupidity of "if it makes somebody happy it is good".

madhair60

My main problem with Harry Potter is that Hermione is too tall and it is unrealistic.

marquis_de_sad

The thing about people in Brazil who are worried about a far-right leader with a hard-on for military dictatorship taking power in their country is that they don't seem to understand that J.K. Rowling has been repeatedly wrong about Corbyn on twitter.

monolith

Quote from: Twed on November 04, 2018, 05:47:08 PM
I was just pointing out the effervescent stupidity of "if it makes somebody happy it is good".
...a statement that was directly linked to a Brazilian woman reading a Harry Potter book.

But if it made you feel clever then that's lovely.