Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,183
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:21:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Breaking Bad - The Movie

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 07, 2018, 08:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

Just read on the AV Club that this is being planned, though little is known about it right now. Here's their article:

QuoteAMC's still making solid TV in these post-Mad Men times—watch Lodge 49!—but the network's star is nowhere near as bright it was during that early '10s golden age. Their solution? Exploit what works, as they plan to do with a trilogy of Walking Dead movies. Now, Sony Pictures Television looks to do the same with another one of AMC's properties: Breaking Bad.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Sony, a Breaking Bad producer, is developing a two-hour movie "set in the existing Breaking Bad franchise." Creator Vince Gilligan is helming the project, which is said to "follow the escape of a kidnapped man and his quest for freedom." Breaking Bad and prequel series Better Call Saul executive producers Mark Johnson and Melissa Bernstein are also along for the ride.

Here's what we don't know:

- If it's a prequel, like Better Call Saul, or a continuation of the story.

- If Bryan Cranston and Aaron Paul will reprise their roles as Walter White or Jesse Pinkman, respectively.

- If it will play in theaters, or air alongside the adventures of Rick Grimes on AMC.

- How much of it will center around Huell. (All of it, we hope.)

Gilligan will serve as both writer and executive producer on the project, and may also direct it. They'll have to clear up that last wrinkle soon, however, as production is reportedly kicking off this month in New Mexico.

The description in the second paragraph makes it sound like The Further Adventures Of Jesse, Bitches, but who knows what it'll eventually be. But is it a good idea? I don't know. Do you?

Queneau

Don't fucking do it! I honestly don't give a shit. These things seem to always happen. Some people will say they shouldn't but they seem to forget that it doesn't matter what happens outside of the series because the series still exists - nobody is taking that away.

Old Nehamkin

The idea of some sort of sparse, Blue Ruin-esque thriller about the redemption of a wandering Jesse Pinkman does have a certain appeal, but I'm really not sure that the bittersweet open-endedness of his ending on Breaking Bad needs to be closed.

Still though, Vince Gilligan. Tasty Breaking Bad. Mmm, tempting.

colacentral

Probably a favour to Aaron Paul, poor sod.

I thought the BB finale was pretty weak, managing to tie everything up too tidily and be unsatisfying at the same time, so I'd think if Gilligan can do a quieter Jesse epilogue which is just about the character, with no absurd action theatrics, I'd be interested in it.

Clownbaby

Cautiously excited about this. Breaking Bad is one of my few perfect shows. I know there's med opinions about how it ended but I always think of Breaking Bad, personally, as a jewel-show that didn't piss me off ever. I can't imagine how they would do this film but I'm intrigued still

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: colacentral on November 07, 2018, 08:44:17 PM
Probably a favour to Aaron Paul, poor sod.

I thought the BB finale was pretty weak, managing to tie everything up too tidily and be unsatisfying at the same time, so I'd think if Gilligan can do a quieter Jesse epilogue which is just about the character, with no absurd action theatrics, I'd be interested in it.

Agreed, a low-key character piece a la Better Call Saul would be just the ticket. I have a lot of faith in Gilligan and his team, so chalk me up as another cautiously excited fan.

Rev+

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 07, 2018, 08:10:54 PM
The description in the second paragraph makes it sound like The Further Adventures Of Jesse, Bitches

That's the first thought but it doesn't quite fit, does it?  If it's set after the series then his captors are all dead, and his struggle in that sense is over.

I'm expecting something that brushes very lightly against Breaking Bad here - a new story in its universe, if it can be described as a universe.  Jesse will absolutely crop up at some point though, because it'd stop Aaron Paul phoning the Better Call Saul production office every morning. 

There's no reason to be anything other than optimistic about this, but every reason to be suspicious about what it might be.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Rev+ on November 07, 2018, 11:31:43 PM
That's the first thought but it doesn't quite fit, does it?  If it's set after the series then his captors are all dead, and his struggle in that sense is over.

They are, but he's still a federal fugitive and the cops who swarmed the compound just after he left it probably found his fingerprints all over the meth lab before he got very far, so I wouldn't say he was out of the woods when we last saw them.

Bryan Cranston has shed a little light on the project here, although he says he hasn't seen a script:

https://www.slashfilm.com/breaking-bad-movie-bryan-cranston/

QuoteCranston does go on to say that he's discussed the movie with Breaking Bad creator Vince Gilligan, who is writing the movie script, and that if Gilligan does ask him to appear, he'd "absolutely" do it. Cranston also said the film focuses on "at least a couple of the characters that were not completed as far as their journey."

Wild speculation, but the bolded part makes me wonder if the story might involve Jesse reuniting with Saul/Gene at some point.

Mister Six

I love the idea of more stories within the Breaking Bad universe, with its odd combination of human drama and cartoonish villainy. I'm less enthusiastic about a continuation of Jesse's story - or any of the main BB characters, really. But Gillian's more than earned my trust, and I imagine he must have some kind of a story to tell or he wouldn't bother.

Cuellar

Well that'll coalbox the 'Walt died in the car and the final act of Breaking Bad was a revenge fantasy playing out in his diseased brain' theory.

I've always thought Jesse's 'escape' invalidated that theory anyway.

Let's have a Soprano's film that picks up as the door opens in that diner - a man comes in and orders some cannoli, then leaves. The hijinks continue!

Custard

Sounds like it'd be better as a series. Jesse tries to get on with his life, but what with all the murdering an that, he just can't. Soon he falls into his old ways.

He takes on a younger assistant, and....ahhhh, you see

I still like the idea of a Gus Fring spin-off, but surely Esposito is too old looking at this point, and I can't imagine any younger actor capturing the same character in the same great way

All sounds very interesting, though. Gilligan seems to know what he's doing, so I'd have faith in him doing something worthwhile in this dark "universe" he's created, whatever it ends up being

Custard

I will add that I think it's great that Gilligan created so many great characters that so many of them could legit front their own spin-off from the original main story. And that these shows, like Better Call Saul and hopefully this new project can exist without tainting or ruining the original show, which is its own thing and will always be its own thing. It's a really interesting and clever way to tell further stories in that world without trotting Walter out for BB season 12. It helps that Gilligan is fucking great at what he does, too

You know, I'm quite excited now

Neville Chamberlain

A few days ago, I finished watching the whole damn lot of Breaking Bad over the course of three weeks. I'd been reluctant to watch it because I somehow got it into my head that it was a load of over-hyped, hipster nonsense. Serge's Breaking Bad Rewatch thread helped me to overcome my concerns and, like I said, three weeks ago, I finally took the plunge. A couple of nights ago, I resurfaced, absolutely, genuinely gobsmacked by what I'd seen. I'm still strutting around the place like I'm a DEA agent or a meth-head or a cartel member or a sleazy lawyer. I'm now two episodes in to Better Call Saul - can't get enough of the Breaking Bad universe now. That said, I can only share other people's cautious optimism about this. Despite the fact that I'm still walking around with a head still thoroughly immersed in Albuquerque, I didn't exactly punch the air on hearing this news.

Still, it could be good.

New Jack

Quote from: Cuellar on November 08, 2018, 09:38:53 AM
Well that'll coalbox the 'Walt died in the car and the final act of Breaking Bad was a revenge fantasy playing out in his diseased brain' theory.

I've always thought Jesse's 'escape' invalidated that theory anyway.

Gilligan shat on that too, though people sure love ignoring author's intent!

Cuellar

Well if that was genuinely how it ended (because Gilligan said so!!) it was a shit ending completely unworthy of the show, so this film idea can get fucked.

Mister Six

Much rather that than "character died before the end of the show and that was just their dream as they drifted off", which is the first hacky fan theory everyone always trots out, and it's always shit.

New Jack

Quote from: Mister Six on November 08, 2018, 08:29:48 PM
Much rather that than "character died before the end of the show and that was just their dream as they drifted off", which is the first hacky fan theory everyone always trots out, and it's always shit.

Also loved the fact Scorcese denied that for Taxi Driver (might have been in the Ebert interview book)

Don't get why it's such a popular theory. It's crap!

BlodwynPig

I keep hearing about this Breaking Bad but still don't know what it is?

New Jack

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 08, 2018, 09:26:42 PM
I keep hearing about this Breaking Bad but still don't know what it is?

When my mother had just died of cancer days before, my best friend, meaning well, attempted to sell me on losing myself in this series by describing it as:

This teacher gets cancer in the first episode, it's dead dramatic.

................. I listened to my other mate who said it's a stylish western about drug dealing. And that is what it is!

Old Nehamkin

The dream theory never made any sense because there's a bunch of stuff in the finale that refers to plot beats which Walt would have no way of knowing about - most notably the fact that Jesse has been enslaved by the nazis. It also features an actual dream sequence in which Jesse fantasises about a wooden box he made in a high school tech class (a memory he previously brought up in his group therapy session) which seems like a strange thing for Walt to include in his own fantasy. I don't think it's a particularly outrageous case of author intrusion for Gilligan to say that it's silly.

Cuellar

Yeah, I think I prefer the ambiguity though. For Walt to swoop in like Iron Man and kill all the baddies and save all the goodies... Meh.

EOLAN

I be hoping for a 25 year flash-forward to Walt's daughter being the new drug queenpin of New Mexico. Walt Jr. through his funds from the Schwarz's is a major head of a charity and minor local celebrity. His charity is focusing on dealing with drug addiction and recovery. When these funds dry up; his sister out of loyalty anonymously sends funds his way.
Skyler is now married to Ted; trying to manage the different paths of her children and keep Walt Jr. shielded from the source of funds. Ted meanwhile; is just absorbed by the money and wants more direct access to it and goes to his step-daughter to blackmail her or else he will reveal all to the press about what is funding Walt Jr's charity.

Meanwhile; some local Honduran gangsters who arrived 20 years prior in a caravan spend 15  minutes wordlessly tracking and keeping a watch on events at the drug empire.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Mister Six on November 08, 2018, 08:29:48 PM
Because it always sounds smart, but is the sort of thing every good filmmaker / TV producer discards as hacky nonsense while they're still in film school.

Mister Six

Unless you're David Lynch, but then you actually can pull it off.

Cuellar

It should be jesse opening up a hipster coffee shop using Gale's super coffee formula.

He can call it Coffee and Murder!

MuteBanana

No idea what Dean Norris is looking like these days but bald head and a rugged face is good for playing younger. Think a spin off of Hank and his DEA work might be pretty cool.

mothman

Gilligan has always been upfront about not regarding Walt as a hero, so I presume we're comprehensively ruling out his death scene becoming a miraculous recovery?

gatchamandave

Quote from: Cuellar on November 10, 2018, 03:46:34 PM
It should be jesse opening up a hipster coffee shop using Gale's super coffee formula.

He can call it Coffee and Murder!

Buying his pastries from a certain Cinnabon ?

Shit Good Nose

Hopefully it'll be two and a half hours of kleptomania and mail order rock collecting.

Clownbaby

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 12, 2018, 05:43:19 PM
Hopefully it'll be two and a half hours of kleptomania and mail order rock collecting.

They're minerals, Marie.