Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,395
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 05:00:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What was Rik Mayall doing in 1984/1985?

Started by Delete Delete Delete, November 07, 2018, 08:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Small Man Big Horse

It's weird, a friend of mine's husband cheated on her when she was two months pregnant with their second child and whilst they're now back together and seemingly okay I still can't forgive him, I think it was an astonishingly cunt-ish thing to do even though I'm aware that his wife (in her own words) could be difficult to be around at times. But with Mayall I find myself not really caring. I guess that's partially due to not knowing the circumstances but even if he was an absolute cunt and even worse than my friend's husband it wouldn't stop me enjoying his work. Maybe it's because there's been so many actors and comedians of late who have committed horrendous acts which means I can't stand watching them any more, and as Mayall's actions weren't in any way illegal I'm more forgiving. But I just don't know.

So to conclude my opening question in to what was happening in this period. The answer dosn't seem to be one thing but a series of things.

. Possible Fame Burnout after Series 2 of The Young Ones
. Tour Of Austrlia with Ben Elton
. Cameos and apperences in Black Adder, Jacknory, Happy Familes etc etc
. The whole Eloping and having kids thing.

So he was going through a strange time at home as well as being in demand quite a lot. A man who was a low level star before the young ones starring in The Kick Up The Eighties and breaking out with the Kevin Turvey character. After the young ones possibly becomeing the break out star from the Young Ones, judging from his apprences on Wogan, and who also had handled some of the writing and promtion of the Series. Feeling the need to reconnect with his stand up roots.

French and Saunders wouldn't get there own series until 1987, though they did appear together with Ruby Wax in an ITV sitcom called Girls On Top in 1985/1986 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_XhG2a0dWo

Saturday Live would happen in 1986 introducing the Dangerous brothers to the world.

Nigel Planer was staring in an ITV sitcom called Roll Over Beethoven  (do copies exsist of this, I'd like to see this. Edit it is on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9nND1iuom4&list=PLCcNyPZE4ITVcITPSIyVgOxgeGjtGq9Cv&index=11 )

kalowski

Quote from: Queneau on November 09, 2018, 07:36:25 PM
Wow. That is weird.

Yeah, it's not up there, is it? I still find it enjoyable to watch. Mayall creates absolute chaos at times. There's a great moment when he really lays into the woman in the shop and tells her her scene is over. It's a great vehicle for Mayall and, like everything he was involved in, worth it for him if nothing else.
When it's funny it's just the greatest Rik ever. His Northern Cockney milkman with a limp, for example, or "I'm in the mood for Ritchie"

koeman

Quote from: Janie Jones on November 09, 2018, 06:27:37 PM
As any quiz regular knows, the first U.K. mobile phone call was made by Ernie Wise January 1985 so the chances of Rik carrying a mobile phone a week or two later are pretty slim. How could he have received a phone call while out shopping?

I know it's since been explained, but can you imagine if it turned out that Ernie was actually calling Rik to pass on a message from Babs.

The Giggling Bean

Quote from: Twed on November 09, 2018, 06:35:24 PM
He found out over Rik mail (Mayall)

That made me laugh more than it deserved to.

New Jack

Quote from: Bronzy on November 10, 2018, 02:19:59 AM
ur mum

Wouldn't the ur-mum be Eve if we're accepting the Christian myth as standard?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 08, 2018, 12:10:36 PM
Wasn't Lise Mayer Angus Deayton's partner when all the coke-whoring went on?

She can't half pick 'em, eh?

That pissed me off an' all. That smug fucking Tory prick Hislop and forgot-how-to-be-funny-in-the-90s Merton sneering at Deayton to resign was the main reason I stopped watching it. Well, that and it rapidly becoming shite. Because no-one in the media has done cocaine or cheated on their spouses, of course.

Famous Mortimer

Back on topic, I had half a memory of Rik appearing in that thing Ade did that I can never remember the name of, so a quick search reveals it's "Snakes and Ladders", from 1989. Rik's scene is on Youtube, and it has Ken Livingstone in it too. Time to find it again.

a duncandisorderly

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 10, 2018, 12:51:36 PM
That pissed me off an' all. That smug fucking Tory prick Hislop and forgot-how-to-be-funny-in-the-90s Merton sneering at Deayton to resign was the main reason I stopped watching it. Well, that and it rapidly becoming shite. Because no-one in the media has done cocaine or cheated on their spouses, of course.

it's why stephen 'national treasure' fry has never been on it. that & the fact that he's no stranger to the old dust himself, of course.

I had an ex who faked a pregnancy & subsequent miscarriage when she found out that I'd had enough of her infidelities & general arse-iness & was about to leave town. she fucked things up with my work & plagued my mother with letters of untruth. the whole thing was covered up at work because she was senior to me; I was the bad guy & (after being there for five years) I left town with no leaving-do & only two or three friends left. I'm not saying mayer did anything like this, just that there's often more to these things than we can know about.

Famous Mortimer

Maybe Mayall and Mayer's relationship was an open one. Maybe she had other partners too. Maybe the relationship had been bad for a long time. Who knows? I find this extreme black-and-whiteness about certain events to be rather curious.

magval

Quote from: biggytitbo on November 08, 2018, 03:10:42 PM
Lise. Liiiiiissse. How do you pronounce that?

Like Lisa, basically. With more of a schwa sound than an 'ah', like Leese-ih

Maurice Yeatman

Deayton was living with singer Stephanie de Sykes (who was born with a smile on her face, for Cliff's sake) when he started having a secret affair with Lise Mayer.  WE ARE ALL GUILTY.

zomgmouse

Quote from: a duncandisorderly on November 10, 2018, 01:15:53 PM
it's why stephen 'national treasure' fry has never been on it. that & the fact that he's no stranger to the old dust himself, of course.

Do you mean post-scandal? Because he's definitely appeared on HIGNFY.

a duncandisorderly

millions of years ago, maybe. he's been quite vocal in his support of deayton. they probably had the same dealer, I don't know.

[found ONE on yt]

samadriel

Quote from: magval on November 10, 2018, 09:06:47 PM
Like Lisa, basically. With more of a schwa sound than an 'ah', like Leese-ih

How is the 'ah' of 'Lisa' different than a schwa?

magval

Think about Michael Jackson singing "Happy Birthday Lisa". He couldn't, in the same way, sing that line about Lise Mayer.

That's how it's different.

MuteBanana

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on November 08, 2018, 02:22:45 PM
Loved FR&C at the time, doesnt stand up well to repeated viewing though and has aged horribly. If youre not familiar with the early 80s light entertainment scene the show may be a bit impenetrable. I dont think its talked about in the same breath as The Young Ones or Botoom because it just isnt that great.

Thing I love about Filthy and why it should always be on someones to watch list is it spoofs the obsession of celebrity years before it really happened. In one episode Rick's idea of a comeback was a fake funeral that would be televised and all his showbiz pals would make appearances. I mean, celebrity funeral, thats where we'll go next.

So Rik knew Lise Mayer was pregnant? Thats real shitty. I mean people cheat and I hate it but it happens. I was going to give him praise for doing the right thing and marrying Barbara when she became pregnant. But it turns out he was a git.

But they married and three kids and a life together. It was obviously meant to be and no way could Rik know about what Lise Mayer would go through. I mean staying together because of a baby is not right. Still no excuse to lie and cheat.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on November 11, 2018, 01:28:41 AM
Deayton was living with singer Stephanie de Sykes (who was born with a smile on her face, for Cliff's sake) when he started having a secret affair with Lise Mayer.  WE ARE ALL GUILTY.

She the one with the droopy mouth in Mike Leigh's Short & Curlies short film?

Edit - you said singer, not her then.

I think he retired Kevin Turvey too early.

MuteBanana

Quote from: Satchmo Distel on December 01, 2018, 02:34:40 PM
I think he retired Kevin Turvey too early.

Coltrane *under his breath* : I'm fucking hungry
Kevin *nodding*: C'mon Mum! We're fucking hungry!
Mrs Turvey *off screen*: Kevin. Can you come in here a moment?
TWANG
Kevin: Just been checking in there mate. Dinners nearly ready.