Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 12:47:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Grant Morrison's 'The Invisibles' comes to TV. Yes, you read that right

Started by Norton Canes, November 08, 2018, 03:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Holy shit. The scripts he did for BBC Scotland were pretty good - they had an eerie hauntological vibe - so I'm definitely interested to see where he takes it 20 or so years on. Although pizzagate etc have taken some of the shine off conspiracy theories of late. And Lord Fanny is a furious woke Twitterstorm waiting to happen.

Small Man Big Horse

This is great news, and I'm hoping it'll eventually lead to Zenith the series.

Mister Six

Actually I can't decide whether this is a terrible time for such a show or a great one. Presenting anarchist heroes fighting a deranged and oppressive status quo is perfect - the "every conspiracy theory you ever heard is true" one more troubling. Hope they find a way to translate the crazy visuals (especially those in the Jimenez issues) onto TV though.

marquis_de_sad

That's definitely an issue. But maybe not as bad as we might think - you had right wing militia and the Oklahoma bombings etc during the Invisibles original run, although it did crucially finish before 9/11.

I'm probably more worried about how infinite conspiracy has been done before on TV. I'm thinking about Lost, basically. The Invisibles could easily be refitted into an endless cliff hanger, which would be tiresome, especially as the frantic pace of the original was part of its charm.

Mister Six

Morrison's a canny fella who trends towards hyperdensity rather than decompression so I'm not too worried about that. I am, however, super interested to know how he intends to adapt those bits of the mythology that have been superseded by time, or have already been chewed up and spat out by popular culture, like the 2012 apocalypse stuff.

And, of course, there's the fucking Matrix...

Still, though - The Invisibles! I'm getting more and more excited by this the more I think about it. I wonder if Division X will make the cut. I do dearly hope it goes full-on mental as it picks up speed, with all the John-a-Dreams fictionsuit stuff. My mind's abuzz

If Gee-Mozz Himself is involved then fingers crossed for once we might end up with something outstanding.

Was it this or Doom Patrol that had Danny the Street; a character who was an actual street! And a flamboyant crossdressing sentient street to boot.

I'd watch a chat show hosted by Danny

Mister Six

That was Doom Patrol. Invisibles had Lord Fanny, the Brazilian transvestite shaman.

Danny The Street, of course, was inspired by Danny La Rue.

chveik

Apparently Warren Ellis's Injection is going to be adapted for TV too.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: chveik on November 09, 2018, 01:45:14 AM
Apparently Warren Ellis's Injection is going to be adapted for TV too.

I heard that, though annoyingly the series is on hold right now as Ellis is involved in so many projects and I really hope it returns soon as it was a great read.

Phil_A

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 08, 2018, 05:56:47 PM

I can't see that happening, unless Morrison comes to some agreement with Rebellion over the whole ownership issue. (My understanding is it was never settled legally, and the much-delayed reprints went ahead despite his objections.)

Norton Canes

I'm not sure I'd want to see an adaptation of Zenith. I mean obviously it could work, it could be brilliant, but some things are perhaps best left in their original medium.

The Invisibles, however, is fecund with possibilities and I can't wait to see what they do with it. I say 'they' because it will rely almost as much on great designers and directors to bring it to life with panache as it will on GM's ability to turn in great scripts. First thing he's got to do however is settle on a consistent style and tone. The comic series was all over the place in that respect, and I know that was sort of the point - to create something chaotic - but when it comes to retaining an audience the stakes are even higher with a TV show then there are with a comic. He can't afford another 'Arcadia' style fiasco three or four episodes in which leads to viewers deserting in their droves. Although I did think Arcadia was one of the better arcs. I'm sure an episode or two spent in the company of the Marquis de Sade would make for some arresting viewing.

I guess my main hope for an Invisibles series is that it doesn't disintegrate in the same way as the comic. The first volume was really tightly focused, even with its one-shot installments, and the second volume had some gripping stuff until about half way through (the story of Boy's brainwashing), when it suddenly seemed to lose its direction. Volume three was often too fragmented and 'meta' for its own good. 

My hopes for the series are twofold: firstly, that the tone resembles the macabre and unsettling Avengers-meets-the-supernatural vibe of the first volume; and secondly, that Morrison comes up with plenty of new storylines, as well as adapting ones from the comic run. I know it would be a shame to miss anything out, but I think I'd rather be astounded by new plots and shocks than I would watch retreads of existing stories. Not just a straight run-thorough, please.

Best thing though is that if the series had been made twenty-odd years ago as planned it probably would have been six episodes and over. Being made now means it can be (hopefully) at least three seasons of 13 episodes, meaning there'll be so much more time for character development.

Anyway, first thoughts there. Next, I need to re-read the whole series...

Norton Canes

Oh actually I think my number one hope is that they change the name 'Dane McGowan', as it always seemed like a horrible clumsy rip-off of Shane McGowan.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Phil_A on November 09, 2018, 12:37:29 PM
I can't see that happening, unless Morrison comes to some agreement with Rebellion over the whole ownership issue. (My understanding is it was never settled legally, and the much-delayed reprints went ahead despite his objections.)

That's disappointing to hear, but I will continue to hope that it eventually happens and you can't stop me! ;)

I'd also love to see an adaptation of Animal Man but given how many DC characters it featured, and it's reliance on knowledge of things like Crisis On Infinite Earths, I can't see it ever happening.

Mister Six

Shit, I wish I hadn't seen this thread now. I keep thinking about what this series might be like, even though we're not likely to see any further information for at least a year - if indeed it makes it out of development at all.

Fuck me though. Can you imagine Morrison going full psychedelic headfuck in a popular spy action show? It would be amazing.

Norton Canes

Actually no, no no no no no, my main hope is that Grant Morrison exhorts us all to have a big old collective wank as part of a mystic ritual to ensure the series' success.

Mister Six

Blimey, has it really been a year and a half since this thread went up?

Throwing this in here for posterity - Morrison told the Someone Who Isn't Me podcast (hosted by musician, artist and magickal practitioner Daniel P Carter) that the Invisibles show is still in the works, and that it's going to differ a bit from the comic in some important ways.

If you want to listen to it, the conversation in that link at around 53:45. Otherwise, I've transcribed the relevant bits below...

MORRISON: There's a new version [of The Invisibles as a TV show] coming.

CARTER: When?

MORRISON [Laughs]

CARTER: I know that you've been working on it, 'cause I saw that like, the--

MORRISON: No, it's all like, fucking, killer, it's destroyer.[nb]No idea what he means by this.[/nb] But that's it. [To his wife, Kristan, who is inaudible but present, and seems to be acting as his manager] What's that? Hm? Can I say it? What? You say it! [Laughs] You say it. [To Carter] Look, you have Kristan, hovering over him.

CARTER: Well you're far into it, right?

MORRISON: I'm so excited, it's like everything there was in the 90s, this is it for now.

CARTER: Yeah. And how far into it are you? I'm really curious now. Like, you've, you've--

MORRISON: Aw, it's like--

CARTER: Is it a full adaptation, or--?

MORRISON: Yeah, yeah, no, but it's like a whole new thing, in this world, now. What we've been talking about[nb]A bunch of stuff, because this is right at the end of the podcast. But some key points are that Morrison is getting heavily into a "queer magic" and "feminine vibe", and believes that the Aeon of Horus that Aleister Crowley used to bang on about - an age of shedding old ideals, of creativity and youth rising up and throwing off old methods of control and order to forge something new - is over. Instead, he says, we are in the Aeon of Ma'at, the Egyptian Goddess of truth, harmony and justice. An age when women can take the reins and transform the power structures that exist.[/nb], the, you know, it's that.

CARTER: Amazing.

MORRISON: And it's not Jack Frost or Dane, it's Ragged Robin. But it's her young self and she meets herself, and she has to bring herself up. And she hates her. They hate each other. It's like, imagine meeting your 16-year-old self.

CARTER: Yeah. Well that's the thing, isn't it, it's one of those things where, like, I think at the age I'm at now, I always say, "Aw, if I could go back and tell 15-year-old me--" that's a lovely idea, but he'd be going, like---

MORRISON: He would be going, "Well fuck you, man. Fuck you, you fucking weirdo."

CARTER: Yeah, exactly. But that's awesome, that's really exciting.

MORRISON: But that's only-- ah, I'm very excited about it. It's been the passion that it was then, but for now, and it's totally different, man. Absolutely absorbing, the stuff I've been reading, you know. The way the world works, it's diseased. These awful old men that are running things...

Then they start talking about how kids these days are told they're doomed and the future is fucked, and Morrison says it's important to do the opposite - to tell kids to take control of their destinies and make something of the future.

Norton Canes

Sin Agog

I reckon it will take a mass magickal wank for this to be good.

Anyone care to set a date?

kidsick5000

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 08, 2018, 05:56:47 PM

Happened to think about this the other day (mostly because I was marveling again at how perfect Phase 3 in story and art. The zenith of Zenith)

But if it was made now, I wonder if too many other properties have come out since that it would appear to be the imitator or watered down in comparison

Mister Six

Quote from: Sin Agog on March 11, 2020, 12:31:14 AM
I reckon it will take a mass magickal wank for this to be good.

Why's that? I'm feeling quite confident; I loved Happy! and Morrison's talent in comics hasn't been dimmed by the years. He also seems to be approaching it in the most sensible manner possible, which is to take the themes and basic ideas, and then write it afresh for a new audience and a different time. The comic was so very much of its moment that taking those pieces and skipping the time dial on a bit just wouldn't work, I think.

Plus, he's had time and experience to see what came before. I don't envision another "Arcadia" fucking with everything this time around.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Mister Six on March 12, 2020, 08:48:16 PM
Why's that? I'm feeling quite confident; I loved Happy! and Morrison's talent in comics hasn't been dimmed by the years. He also seems to be approaching it in the most sensible manner possible, which is to take the themes and basic ideas, and then write it afresh for a new audience and a different time. The comic was so very much of its moment that taking those pieces and skipping the time dial on a bit just wouldn't work, I think.

Plus, he's had time and experience to see what came before. I don't envision another "Arcadia" fucking with everything this time around.

I guess that was just my reaction to the first bit of news being a major change of format.  It is possible to do that and retain the original's essence, I suppose, but there are too many Lucifers out there to give me too much hope. For me it would also have to remain ensconced in a sort of seedy, grimy psychedelia and counter-culture that I'm not sure quite exists in the same way as it did in the '90s, least of all in tellyland.  We'll see.  I mainly just wanted to remind people that The Invisibles was almost cancelled until most of its readership engaged in a MASS MAGICKAL WANK and spunked it back to life!

Mister Six

The fact that Morrison is writing the thing should give you hope there. Plus, there have been a run of great offbeat comic-book series in the past year alone: Doom Patrol, Happy!, The Boys,  Swamp Thing (apparently), Watchmen...

Lucifer sucked, admittedly, but I'm pretty sure neither Neil Gaiman nor Mike Carey got within a mile of the writer's room. And it was on NBC, which would be an unlikely fit for The Invisibles.

But yeah, I agree - we must never forget MAGICK WANCK!