Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,385
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 03:30:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Celebrity Voices in Games

Started by Sin Agog, November 08, 2018, 04:17:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

R J MacReady

I'm pretty sure some of the elite names of rock and metal leant their vocal chops to Brutal Legend.Lemmy,Rob Halford and Ozzy,I think that's a cool roster!

Chedney Honks

Peter Serafinowicz is in Dark Souls 2. I seem to remember he asked if he could be in it because of how much he loves the first Dark Souls.

He plays Mild-Mannered Pate who behaves very much like the sneaky merchant, Patches, in the other FROM games.

He also does all the exertion noises for the male player character.

"Nnnghh."

"Ehhh."

*Oooofff."

Etc.

magval

Peter Serafinowicz isn't a celebrity though, he's an actor and has extensive voiceover credits. It's his job.

lazarou

Quote from: Alberon on November 08, 2018, 08:32:02 PM
Eric Idle was quiet good in the Discworld games. More recently John Cleese popped up playing a loony in the Elder Scrolls Online game. Had a good few lines.

Discworld Noir is a good one for this. Rob Brydon, Nigel Planer, Kate Robbins and Robert Llewelyn voice almost every character in the game.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: R J MacReady on November 08, 2020, 11:29:16 PM
I'm pretty sure some of the elite names of rock and metal leant their vocal chops to Brutal Legend.Lemmy,Rob Halford and Ozzy,I think that's a cool roster!

Rob Halford playing two roles and all.

Pink Gregory

Michael Madsen and Susan Sarandon in Dishonored tend to go unnoticed, but they're good performances, and as such you don't really notice.

I'm one of the few who likes Kiefer Sutherland as Big Boss.

Pink Gregory

isn't Danny John-Jules the voice of Gex?

Chedney Honks

Quote from: magval on November 09, 2020, 07:57:36 AM
Peter Serafinowicz isn't a celebrity though, he's an actor and has extensive voiceover credits. It's his job.

Haha, fair fuckin play.

samadriel

Michael Ironside's Sam Fisher was great, and sadly replaced by some guy in Splinter Cell Blacklist. I heard it was because they wanted a voice actor who could also act out the physical role, as if that was necessary; you're basically controlling and positioned behind Sam whenever he's saying something, you don't need to synchronise voice acting with the physical stuff. Ah well, there's only about one and a half good Splinter Cell games, I guess replacing Ironside just softens the blow of not buying SC games anymore.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 09, 2020, 10:14:01 AM
isn't Danny John-Jules the voice of Gex?

Pity the child who only played the third Gex game with DJJ.  Leslie Phillips' earlier, unctuous voiceover is still so vivid in my mind.

I think America had Dana Gould saying variations of, 'This is like a dinner party at Fatty Arbuckle's house.'

The Crumb

Good old Benedict Wong in Prey. Always think of him as Errol, despite the fact he's gone on to way bigger things.

Takeshi Kitano in Yakuza 6, both in voice and appearance. Was pretty weird when he showed up.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Sin Agog on November 09, 2020, 02:24:26 PM
Pity the child who only played the third Gex game with DJJ.  Leslie Phillips' earlier, unctuous voiceover is still so vivid in my mind.

I think America had Dana Gould saying variations of, 'This is like a dinner party at Fatty Arbuckle's house.'

WHAAAAAAAT?  That's a bit of a climbdown, no disrespect meant to DJJ

Mister Six

Quote from: magval on November 09, 2020, 07:57:36 AM

Nah, he's a celeb for sure. He's not just Generic Voice Actor Man who's only recognisable to hardcore anime watchers or something. And the story of him getting the job is a good 'un.

Famous Mortimer

I really like Daniel Dae Kim as Johnny Gat in the "Saints Row" series.

SR 2 has Eliza Dushku, Michael Dorn, Jay Mohr, Michael Rappaport, Neil Patrick Harris and Keith David. SR3 has plenty as well - Burt Reynolds (as himself), Hulk Hogan, Sasha Grey and Tim Thomerson. No mega-names, but it's always fun hearing them.

Kelvin

One of the biggest disparities between game/actors has to be that wii game, Deadly Creatures. It's a fairly decent AA game where you control a scorpion and tarantula through various desert terrains, but with Dennis Hopper and Billy Bob Thornton voicing the giant human characters moving around nearby. They have an entire murder plot that plays out between them across the levels. 

Spiteface

The original Yakuza on PS2 had an English dub with some recognisable names in it, most notably Mark Hamill basically doing his Joker voice for Majima.

purlieu

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 08, 2018, 04:29:55 PM
I'm afraid I couldn't be dealing with Stephen Merchant's voiceover in Portal 2. Nothing against him or his performance but it took me out of the game hearing Darren Lamb from Extras wittering away in the background. It's like when British comedians rock up in U.S. films or sit-coms, it sometimes can be distracting.  The "Oh look it's Eric Idle" Syndrome'
Yeah, exactly this. There was already a bit too much of his character - the whimsy began to grate after a while - but I could just see his face through the whole thing.

madhair60

Quote from: samadriel on November 09, 2020, 12:42:32 PM
Michael Ironside's Sam Fisher was great, and sadly replaced by some guy in Splinter Cell Blacklist. I heard it was because they wanted a voice actor who could also act out the physical role, as if that was necessary; you're basically controlling and positioned behind Sam whenever he's saying something, you don't need to synchronise voice acting with the physical stuff. Ah well, there's only about one and a half good Splinter Cell games, I guess replacing Ironside just softens the blow of not buying SC games anymore.

Blacklist is excellent, though. Probably my favourite one of the lot, just a triumph.

bgmnts

Chaos Theory is the best by a mile in my very humble opinion.

Ironside's guttural growling is almost an aphrodisiac to me.

samadriel

Quote from: madhair60 on November 09, 2020, 11:20:53 PM
Blacklist is excellent, though. Probably my favourite one of the lot, just a triumph.
I remember, that's why I gave you the "half", despite me not enjoying Blacklist. bgmnts is right about Chaos Theory; the beautiful game!

Sonny_Jim

You get Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie reunion in Little Big Planet 3, haven't played enough of it to see if there's any in jokes though.

Trevor from GTA turns up in all sorts of stuff.  Saw him in The Tick the other day.

Blue Jam

Quote from: The Crumb on November 09, 2020, 02:41:33 PM
Good old Benedict Wong in Prey. Always think of him as Errol, despite the fact he's gone on to way bigger things.

It was a thrill to hear Errol in Prey, but Tom Kenny as the voice of the Medical Operator was an inspired bit of casting. That robot is such a chirpy little shit, he's perfect. Also as a bit of a bonus, if you talk to the Medibot while your health is at 100% it will start telling you jokes and bits of highly questionable medical trivia.

Blue Jam

Quote from: R J MacReady on November 08, 2020, 11:29:16 PM

Has anyone mentioned Mike Patton as the "voice" of GLADoS's Anger Core in Portal?

https://youtu.be/HOhLgfQqg_g

Leon-C

The Fable games always come to mind when I think of this. Taking some names from Fable III in particular:

John Cleese
Michael Fassbender
Stephen Fry
Naomie Harris
Bernard Hill
Nicholas Hoult
Ben Kingsley
Simon Pegg
Sean Pertwee
Zoe Wanamaker
Sarah Hadland
Mark Heap
Rufus Jones
Jason Manford
Jonathan Ross

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 10, 2020, 08:46:12 PM
Has anyone mentioned Mike Patton as the "voice" of GLADoS's Anger Core in Portal?

https://youtu.be/HOhLgfQqg_g
And the voice of The Darkness in The Darkness.

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 10, 2020, 08:44:21 PM
It was a thrill to hear Errol in Prey... Also as a bit of a bonus, if you talk to the Medibot
MEDIBOT

lazarou

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 10, 2020, 11:23:05 PM
And the voice of The Darkness in The Darkness.

He also voices something like half the zombies in the left4dead games.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

And the main character in the 2009 Bionic Commando. Somewhat strangely, he apparently did an impression of Henry Rollins for the role.

Pink Gregory

hundreds and thousands...he loves them...

El Unicornio, mang

Craig Fairbrass showing his range by doing the voice of an aggressive sweary cockney bloke in Battlefield V

thenoise

On the original release of Simon the Sorcerer I assumed snotty teenaged Simon to sound more like Harry Enfield's Kevin. So surprised that Chris Barrie voiced the character in the sequel as a wise-cracking cynic, but basically sounding much like Rimmer bizarrely reading out the dialog for my beloved Simon. A bizarre choice.