Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:10:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Panda Bear - Buoys (Dolphin out now)

Started by The Boston Crab, November 08, 2018, 08:56:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
New song 'Dolphin' appeared almost out of nowhere today.

https://youtu.be/Eo6Sf80Uco8

New album 'Buoys' coming in Feb. The live performances have suggested a rather different sound which I'm pleased about. I hadn't really listened to this one more than a couple of times so it sounds fresh and surprising to me.

The new songs all seem to feature acoustic guitar and sparse beats which I like, nicely low-key, but his voice has never sounded anything like this. It's a bit like Doin It Right at a stretch but I'm very very pleasantly surprised.

It's produced by Rusty Santos who mixed Sung Tongs and Person Pitch and he's an old mate. So happy with the sound of this.

Head Gardener

kittens

just spent £50 on the preorder and t shirt. hope it's good. listened to the first few seconds of dolphin and it sounds interesting but i wanna go in fresh in feb. better be good panda mate.

You're a better man than me if you can wait.

Or

Not a true fan.

kittens

probably the second tbh. i don't even like music anymore, just accumulate merchandise to keep up appearances.

I have given up on maintaining any appearances. Today I didn't even have a shower before work or shave. A couple of people asked and I said I had been ill in the night and decided to come in last minute because I didn't want to leave them in the lurch. Such a weird lie.

This is a wonderful, strange song. Very light and simple but feels very deep. The vocal is so strange.

Whole album leaked three months in advance. Pretty gutted for him.

sevendaughters

ooof this song is NOT GOOD, not expecting Person Pitch II but this is some thin gruel.

If any of the OG ANCO HARDCREW want this, let me know.

Very weird alternative post-Sung Tongs timeline kind of thing. Loads of auto tune, minimal beats, little acoustic guitar shapes, lots of dubby slapback and squonks. Some still growing but the run from I Know I Don't Know, Master, Buoys to Inner Monologue is superb. The latter, in particular, is the best thing he's done since the early Tomboy shows. The whole thing most reminds me of his pre-Young Prayer eponymous record. A strange minimalist electroacoustic almost country vibe.

Best bits:

Whistle instrumental break on I Know...
Goofy square dance auto tune chorus on Master.
Sea shanty vibe and white noise blasts of Buoys.
The whimpering, the droning synth, the blown out lead vocal croon and the indescribable guest vocal bursts on Inner Monologue.

The latter is an unbelievable song and weird as fuck. Like Gently Johnny from The Wicker Man if the eroticism were replaced with psychosis.

kittens

well. i don't know how i'm going to wait for the actual record to arrive but i will. not listening till then. i'll give you my thoughts in full tomorrow.

alan nagsworth

Anyone else copped this yet? Fuck me it's bad.

imitationleather

Quote from: alan nagsworth on February 18, 2019, 06:24:46 PM
Anyone else copped this yet? Fuck me it's bad.

Ah good. I was worried that it might be just me who thought this was crap.

alan nagsworth

Yeah nah, it's dreadful. I can't remember the last time I had such a big scoff at how much an artist I have, at many times over the years, deeply loved and respected, had gone on to defy all my expectations for the worst and put out something this unbelievably rubbish.

The fucking vocals on it. Bloody hell.

The post is more of an AC forum discussion thing. Too much context and prior knowledge required for CaB.

If you don't get AC and think the solo stuff is better, then that's cool. We're not communicating on the same lines so I'll delete this detailed explanation.

Removing the edit glitch.

kittens

listened to it when i was pissed, don't remember very much. it's probably o.k. though isn't it. i'll talk to you again once it makes sense to do so.

kittens

listened again last night. i like it! what's the issue. i mean it's a bit samey throughout, but we could say it's cohesive instead, just to be nice. there's some great stuff in there. i can't point to any specific examples because the way the tracks are listed on the record makes it pretty much impossible to learn their names. but, bits of the stuff is great. cheers

kittens

there's those bits on that one song, where is sounds like a monster suddenly singing a word, those are great

Well of course you get it. Welcome to the non ape eared gang. I love the one with the crying.

Bazooka

Yeah its great, I've been incredibly busy and not given the album my usual AnCo consumption, will express my thoughts on the album at a later point. I must say though Saturday by Avey is simply wonderful, I'd heard the boots etc, just a beautiful song.

I want the next band album now, its getting warm outside, the birds are singing, I need a full AC album in my veins.