Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:49:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Royal British Legion

Started by Petey Pate, November 08, 2018, 11:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gib

They reckon the number who died in the Falklands is less than the number who killed themselves afterwards.

Captain Crunch

Some dink shithole in Staffs:

Poppycock? 

Cuellar

The figures for the number of British soldiers who have since died are truly shocking.

I think something like every British soldier either has died or will die in the future. We must take better care of our servicemen (and women too).

Icehaven

We went to the National Arboretum today, and after we'd wandered round Mr. Haven said there should be a memorial for ex military who have either killed themselves or suffered other troubles since leaving the army (as he very much has himself) but obviously that doesn't really fit the narrative of a place like that. There's a little gift shop in a cabin too where you can buy medals, which struck me as decidedly odd. They seemed interested in Mr. H's regalia until we realised they were just trying to sell him a poppy pinbadge with his regiment's badge on for £14.99. The rest of it was alright though.

finnquark

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on November 11, 2018, 01:21:29 PM
This is an interesting timeframe, which military experiences do you explore between the Napoleonics and the outbreak of WW1? Opiums? Crimea? Boer? I'd love to have studied this period at school, I was deep into adulthood before I even heard the term 'Pax Britannica'.

The course has four depth studies, which are the French Wars, Crimean War, Boer War, and WWI. In these the students study why did the war begin, why did Britain join in, what happened, why did the war go the way it went, what was the experience of those at the front, what was the impact on the Home Front, and how has the war been remembered.

In addition, we study British foreign policy in between the conflicts, and my colleagues and I ensure we look at a wide variety of British conflicts, making sure to focus on the colonial wars. There is also a part of the paper on the changing nature of conflict, looking at technological changes, changes in the way the media covered conflict, changes in the public role of the military, etc. It's quite broad as a paper, giving a lot of latitude in filling in gaps around the four key depth studies.

garnish

There seems to be a lot of 'they died for our freedom' memes going round, which I find quite galling and evidence that people are not remembering what they're supposed to from World War One - that a whole generation was almost wiped out for nothing more than the political elites playing silly buggers.

With my tin foil hat on, I wonder if they 'dying for our freedom' stuff is being funded by American millionaire types as part of the new wave of their cultural war.  It's frankly fucking disgusting either way.

phes

shiftwork2

^ Is that real?  Where is it from?

BlodwynPig

phes

Quote from: shiftwork2 on November 11, 2018, 10:46:49 PM
^ Is that real?  Where is it from?

Afraid it was just a screenshot sent by a friend. Google image search leads to a Twitter account but no details

im barry bethel

I think those Danny Boyle curated portraits on the beaches demonstrated how remembrance can be shown without having to plaster a poppy on everything that moves