Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:45:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Jaaaaam and Moooooore

Started by steveh, November 09, 2018, 10:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveh

Spotted this in the BFI Southbank programme for December:

QuoteIn this special programme, treated, remixed episodes of Chris Morris' dark, surreal, horror-comedy series blend into and out of other uncanny experimental pieces in the manner of Morris' original radio show Blue Jam. 'When dancing, lost in techno trance, arms flailing, gawky Bez; then find you snagged on frowns, and slowly dawns. You're jazzing to the bleep tone of a life support machine, that marks the steady fading of your day-old baby daughter. And when midnight sirens lead to blue-flash road-mash, stretchers, covered heads, and slippy red macadam, and find you creeping 'neath the blankets, to snuggle close a mangle bird, hoping soon you too will be freezer drawered. Then welcome... mmm... ooh, chemotherapy wig, welcome. In Jam. Jaaaaam.'

https://whatson.bfi.org.uk/Online/jaaaaamandmoooooore

Replies From View

BlodwynPig

Replies From View

BlodwynPig

ah, thanks

I'll be there in spirit.

Queneau

That's it, all post in this dead thread now that mine has brought it back to life. Fuck you lot.

Replies From View

So am I really the only CaB person going to this??  I can't be.

Queneau

Replies From View

To be fair I am posting in both these threads and haven't had a reply in either.

Mango Chimes

What is it? Is it just every episode of the woozy-filtered version of Jam played back to back?

Replies From View

Yes that plus Dudley Moore has been digitally inserted into 'Why Bother'.

Not really; I sensed you were believing me then.  I don't know what the "and Moooooore" bit will be.

Replies From View

I mean this part...

QuoteIn this special programme, treated, remixed episodes of Chris Morris' dark, surreal, horror-comedy series blend into and out of other uncanny experimental pieces in the manner of Morris' original radio show Blue Jam.

...obviously indicates that it's not just Jaaaaam on its own, but it's not stated whether the additional elements are by Morris or some other random unnamed artists.  It's strangely vague I admit, but the ticket price seemed worth the gamble, especially as I hoped this would be an opportunity for a CaB meet.

If I really am going to be the only one of us there (which would be a shame) then I'll update you with the details once I've seen it.

Replies From View

Replies From View

Seemingly nobody gives a shit but here are the programme notes anyway:

bomb_dog

Looks like it was unedited Jaaaam with some extra films by others, then. Was it a good evening out? Were the extra films worth the trip?

Chriddof

Didn't attend this, but I've seen Ryan Trecartin's "Valentine's Day Girl" before - and here it is on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZhgSDjzFO4 (warning: TURN YOUR SOUND DOWN BEFORE YOU PLAY IT)

It's a bit annoying to be honest. Not dreadful or anything, but you do have to be in the right mood to watch it. And it doesn't really mesh that well with Morris or Jam - too hyperactive and Adult Swim-y.

I've heard of Scratch video stuff before as well - George Barber's film might be a bit more Jam-y with the UK-centric cultural references, at least. Though the whole point of Scratch was that, again, it was very hyperactive, which is the opposite feel to the 3am wooziness of Jam. (The style was quickly adapted by various TV programmes of the time for their credit sequences, and even some adverts incorporated elements of it.)

Replies From View

Quote from: bomb_dog on December 17, 2018, 12:37:45 AM
Looks like it was unedited Jaaaam with some extra films by others, then. Was it a good evening out? Were the extra films worth the trip?

It was an okay evening out; it was sketches from Jaaaaam rather than the whole unedited thing, and the additional films felt quite studenty most of the time.  A couple of the films predated Jam, and none of the others were especially recent, so my fear that these would have been made by youtube-era, Jam-inspired Chris Morris sycophants thankfully wasn't justified.

I didn't like Valentine's Day Girl very much, but it did fit within the Jam theme; plenty of Jam sketches are a little more manic and broad, and I seem to remember that in that regard they slotted it in quite well.

None of the films particularly had the 3am woozy feel, but the Carey Burtt one may have got closer than most.  The George Barber film had Johnny Morris in it, which was fun, and Contraption had Richard O'Brien.

In general it was just fine, really; nothing groundbreaking or especially interesting that I feel I have to rewatch* or particularly comment on.  A few times I was definitely wishing for it to end, as well.  I saw enough student film and theatre projects in the late 90s to last a lifetime.

* I may rewatch The Contraption one day.