Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:04:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Slow Club and Bros docs

Started by Icehaven, November 09, 2018, 12:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icehaven

Two new music documentaries, Our Most Brilliant Friends (Slow Club) and After the Screaming Stops (Bros),  the former sounds like a beautifully made and observed meditation of life on the road and of what happens when a band runs it's natural course, the latter two hours of Matt and Luke Goss talking shite and screaming at each other. Both sound like must-sees for completely different reasons, anyone seen either yet?

Deyv

Haven't seen Our Most Brilliant Friends but I'm a big Slow Club fan and will be checking it out as soon as possible. The song it's named after is magnificent, a proper album climax... and then the epilogue, which is the perfect epilogue and hints at the direction they'd take on subsequent albums. It's almost mature, but then it ends with the lines "The bones inside my shins are crumbling, it's from all the crunking I've been doing." Fantastic, or maybe irritating. Depends on my mood, I guess. Bought Charles' solo album but haven't listened to it yet, and also Rebecca's Self Esteem single Your Wife, which has grown on me a lot after initially dismissing it. It's a shame they seem to have gotten sick of each other, their chemistry and their harmonies were great.

I know little to nothing about Bros, unfortunately.

DrGreggles

I'll give the Bros one a whirl.
Obviously I couldn't stand them when they were around but, compared to the boy bands since then, they have aged well*.
I remember them doing a pretty decent single** WAY after their heyday, which did nothing in the charts.

*their songs I meant - fuck knows what they look like
**can't remember the title, but it may have had a gospel choir on it

Will probably check out the Bros one if it ever appears on Netflix or Channel 5 or something.

Matt Goss's autobiography is fantastic in it's self-unawareness.  There's a brilliant bit in it where he was at his lowest ebb because he was living in a swanky pad in LA or somewhere after Bros faded and he had to sell his Rolex collection in order to pay the five grand monthly rent, and he writes summit like "man, I loved those watches".  Probably pennies on Amazon so worth a deeks.

A bump to say that the Bros documentary was on BBC4 last night, so will be on iPlayer for the next month. It was funny as fuck, so many quotable lines, up there with the Metallica documentary for laughs. Next time I'm getting pissed, I'm looking forward to coming home just so i can watch it again.

Cuntbeaks

Caught the last 20 mins or so of the Bros one last night. Plenty of laughs and a tour de force of emotional incontinence.

I wonder what Ken made of it all.

Icehaven

Quote from: An Actual Propeller on December 24, 2018, 04:29:18 PM
A bump to say that the Bros documentary was on BBC4 last night, so will be on iPlayer for the next month. It was funny as fuck, so many quotable lines, up there with the Metallica documentary for laughs. Next time I'm getting pissed, I'm looking forward to coming home just so i can watch it again.

Cheers for this! We need something to watch having just sat through Mrs. Wilson, going to check it out now.

non capisco

The Bros doc is hilarious. A constant cavalcade of Spinal Tap moments. My favourite bit was when Matt Goss got extremely angry out of nowhere about how 'they make you wear goggles when you're playing conkers now in this country.'

Icehaven

Luke Goss's constant rock band vests.

Cuntbeaks

And his Edgelord marijuana leaf sweatband.

Will have to watch this from the beginning for full impact.

Epic Bisto

Christ, the Bros documentary is delivering the goods. Very Partridge.

Back in the day, they seemed incredibly smug from the outset unaware that success on that scale won't last forever. Luvvie Bros seems a bit more chilled out nowadays and quite likeable, but the other one (Hat Bros) is still an arrogant bugger, regardless of all the healing crystals in his palatial crib.

EDIT: Just got to the 'pyro' discussion. HAHAHAHAHA!!

Norton Canes

Luke was sound. Nice of Matt to provide comic relief.

And, I get that it was all about the relationship between the brothers but, still kinda weird that there was no acknowledgement whatsoever of Craig beyond his inclusion in the old footage.

metaltax

Matt Goss spends the entire film like he's on the verge of tears.

Fabian Thomsett

'Rome wasn't built in a day and, fuck me, that's true. But we don't have the time Rome had'

buzby

Bloody hell they don't half talk some shit. I can't help but see Mo Farah when looking at Luke. Also, considering they are identical twins, why hes Matt still got hair (unless it's a weave and the successio of hats are to stop throwing away)?

Icehaven

Quote from: buzby on December 25, 2018, 11:20:29 AM
Also, considering they are identical twins, why hes Matt still got hair (unless it's a weave and the successio of hats are to stop throwing away)?

I kept wondering that too, to distraction. Also enjoyed the added irony of it being the one with hair who wears hats.

buzby

I of course meant he wore the succession of hats are to stop the weave/syrup blowing away. Stupid touchscreen keyboard.

Funcrusher

Thanks for the heads up. Just watched the Bros one and really enjoyed it.

I was about 15 when they hit the charts, at the time I was getting into heavy metal and as such, they were just fancy boy posers. Watching this has really given me a lot of respect for them, they are a lot more talented than I had them down for.

Love them or hate them, they look in fantastic shape for 50 year olds.

Twed

Wasn't the one on the right in Hellboy II? Nuts.

Funcrusher

Orbital looking good for their age.

Crabwalk

It's clearly the surviving members of Husker Du.

Blue Jam

Quote from: buzby on December 25, 2018, 11:20:29 AM
Also, considering they are identical twins, why hes Matt still got hair

I couldn't stop staring at Matt's hair and trying to work out if it was hair plugs or a toupee. Luke being Matt's identical twin and not having hair kind of gives the game away. Perhaps that's why Matt's so angry with him.

There's a definite whiff of Calum Best about Matt's "hair" anyway. Luke reminded me more of Ben Kingsley in Sexy Beast- just imagine if it had been him instead of Matt going "FACK YOU FACK YOU FACK YOU FACK YOU" before flouncing out of the This Morning green room.

Blue Jam

Also I found it interesting to note that for all of Matt's healing crystals and Californian spiritualist crap, he sure as hell isn't the more chilled out of the brothers.

The bulldog portrait was amazing but I think my favourite thing was still the James Bond thing next to the chess set, some kind of wooden box inscribed with "007". It looked like one of those really expensive themed chess sets you see advertised in tabloid Sunday supplements along with the commemorative plates and bargain leisurewear. Also Partridge AF of course.

dr beat

Probably just as well neither of them have knighthoods.

buzby

Quote from: Blue Jam on December 27, 2018, 10:26:11 PM
The bulldog portrait was amazing but I think my favourite thing was still the James Bond thing next to the chess set, some kind of wooden box inscribed with "007". It looked like one of those really expensive themed chess sets you see advertised in tabloid Sunday supplements along with the commemorative plates and bargain leisurewear. Also Partridge AF of course.
It's a copy of Taschen's 'The James Bond Archives' photobook:

Still uber-Partridge, though.

PaulTMA

Well at least the documentary brought the laughs

Squink

One part that confused me about the Bros one was all the fans waiting to greet both the twins at the airport. Was this staged by the documentary crew? I mean, someone must have tipped off all these people. I assume they don't get that every time they come back to the UK. Do they?

AllisonSays

Must have been somewhat coordinated, those mobbings. I'd like to offer a slightly dissenting voice here and say that Hair Bros - while a patently ludicrous man - had some fair points about Bald Bros. Bald Bros was being a pain in the arse in the studio, he was being passive aggressive and hyper-sensitive throughout, and Hair Bros was especially tuned into his subtle but definitely present bullshit. I think, to use the classic scientific method, I'd rather have a pint with Hair than with Bald.