Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 02:16:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Slow Club and Bros docs

Started by Icehaven, November 09, 2018, 12:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Bald having an open and honest chat about his feelings and bricking it only for it to be interspersed with hair talking about his bandanna and pubes.

Did anyone else notice how bald only ever wore vests of other bands that were much more commercially successful?

Chriddof

That bit where Hair started kissing Bald, and then biting his ear, while Bald stared off camera with an embarrassed smile. Rather bewildering.

Two other things: when Hair mentioned that their favourite and only toy was a dart, but they didn't have a dartboard, which was a bit Four Yorkshiremen in a weird way. And the moment where Hair is talking about how humiliated he was when someone took a photo of him through his bathroom window when he'd fallen asleep in the bath, and then ends it with: "Fortunately, there were bubbles." That was the most Partridge way he could have undercut what he had just been saying.

I also felt sad for them as well, though. Especially at the bit where their sister was killed in a car crash at the height of their fame, and the tense scene at the This Morning green room where Hair nearly starts crying.

kalowski

I'm sure others of you have found the clip from This Morning after (before?) the green room argument. Hat Bros continues to look like a broken man on the verge of tears and Luke is more like a psychopath than ever before.

https://youtu.be/Jcvte7Ty9pw

jake thunder

Quote from: kalowski on December 30, 2018, 08:25:05 PM
"I made a conscious decision after listening to Stevie Wonder to not be superstitious."

He's really superstitious though isn't he? Having to kiss a bandana every night before bed was one example.

Mango Chimes

Quote from: kalowski on December 31, 2018, 01:32:23 PM
I'm sure others of you have found the clip from This Morning after (before?) the green room argument. Hat Bros continues to look like a broken man on the verge of tears and Luke is more like a psychopath than ever before.

https://youtu.be/Jcvte7Ty9pw

Eamonn's such a shitbag. "Are you going to be shit and old? Has the last 30 years been a barren wasteland where you've done fuck all in your miserable lives?"

Jockice

Quote from: Shameless Custard on December 30, 2018, 01:47:19 AM
Can't wait to see this

After rewatching the sublime Bucks Fizz - Trouble At The Top the other day, this will do well as the comedy dessert

At which point I will do my obligatory mention of the UB40 documentary Promises And Lies. Which is actually pretty sad but managed to make me interested in a band (or now two bands) I'd never paid more than cursory attention before.

Captain Crunch

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 31, 2018, 01:24:40 AMDid anyone else notice how bald only ever wore vests of other bands that were much more commercially successful?

It's such a horrible petty mean thing to pull someone up for wearing a band t-shirt and I've been on the receiving end of it myself BUT I just can't see him listening to Soundgarden, especially with a big fat biffa on the go which is what his wristband seems to suggest?  Audioslave and Xanax, maybe. 

Sebastian Cobb

It wasn't really one in isolation, it was all of them. Like he'd written a list of 'bands people like'. Also they were massively out of step with what bros were about.

And there was the bit where he's name dropping Flea "from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers" (cheers for that mate). I dunno it all just made him come off as a bit of a dilettante.

PaulTMA

I got the impression Luke was just really keen to prove he was a real musician, so wearing a different rock band tee on every single day of filming was his overbearing way of showing this, in addition to the comments about Flea and of course Zep being his number one influence.

batwings

Really hope the Chart Music podcast do a TOTP with Bros in it just so they can talk about this doc.

"Hindsight is the philosophy of fools".

magval

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 31, 2018, 03:37:01 PM
It wasn't really one in isolation, it was all of them. Like he'd written a list of 'bands people like'. Also they were massively out of step with what bros were about.

And there was the bit where he's name dropping Flea "from the Red Hot Chilli Peppers" (cheers for that mate). I dunno it all just made him come off as a bit of a dilettante.

Also, Flea plays with that much passion (or whatever it was, 'conviction' or some such) because he's a genre-leader in a massive band playing his OWN SONGS. Not some old London pub band guy playing backing for fucking Bros.

Sebastian Cobb

Well that as well.

I take it we're having a CaB hate-watch of his film?

Vodka Margarine

Quote from: PaulTMA on December 31, 2018, 03:56:24 PM
I got the impression Luke was just really keen to prove he was a real musician, so wearing a different rock band tee on every single day of filming was his overbearing way of showing this, in addition to the comments about Flea and of course Zep being his number one influence.

Reminded me of when Eyebrows Busted suddenly started wearing Fugazi T shirts when he was still fannying about with an unplugged prop guitar and singing about Thunderbirds and wanking into his pencil case or whatever.

daf

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on December 31, 2018, 06:33:40 PM
CaB hate-watch

Aw, love-watch surely - I ended up feeling quite fond of the two ludicrous bell ends!

thraxx

They are both vain preening donuts, Bald Bros comes across as jealous, snarky and horrible and Hair Bros as thin-skinned and virtually on the edge of tears. 

I think my favorite bit is when he wants to try something for the drum fill in the rehearsal but is afraid it might be too powerful.

However, the acoustic duet of Forgiveness was one of the funniest things I have seen in ages.  Stomach was hurting after watching that bit.

sevendaughters

watched it last night. was funny as detailed above but as a documentary it was basically the same Anvil redemption story, no real style to it. felt more for Hair Bros as Bald Bros was a horrendous drummer and the live performance was pub rock level. they would have done better with backing tapes...but no doubt a condition of this was Bald Bros gets to play Real Musician.

PlanktonSideburns

Yea his ludicrous Neil peart style rock kit really was not a good sound for that kind of pop music. He should have had some sort of modern electric drum kit, like one of those roland td things, triggering some sort of 80s gated drum sounds. Some of these modern synthwave berks Could probably do an interesting retro collaboration with these guys if they'd let them.

I dont know a thing about bros or their tech setup, but on the bits of old live footage they show, it sounded like he had a much more messed up processed drums sound that suited what they were doing much better

Jockice

Anyway, where can you see the Slow Club one? I sort of vaguely used to know them and although I haven't really followed them closely I like what I've heard.

SteveDave

Quote from: sevendaughters on January 01, 2019, 09:49:18 AM
watched it last night. was funny as detailed above but as a documentary it was basically the same Anvil redemption story, no real style to it. felt more for Hair Bros as Bald Bros was a horrendous drummer and the live performance was pub rock level. they would have done better with backing tapes...but no doubt a condition of this was Bald Bros gets to play Real Musician.

It was more entertaining than the Anvil film though. That was a slog to get through.

jobotic

The line about the Goss-ple Choir was quit good.

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on January 01, 2019, 11:33:14 AM
Some of these modern synthwave berks Could probably do an interesting retro collaboration with these guys if they'd let them.

They could team up with some of these Fashwave lads and call themselves Brostika

lankyguy95

Big Ben, the great defender.

This was phenomenal.

PaulTMA

Spoiler alert:  Luke wears a T. Rex t-shirt on one of the DVD extras

Custard

Tbf though, T.Rex was massive around his youth, and you can actually imagine him listening to them. So that one is a bit more believable

Not quite believing his Beta Band stripy thong, mind

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: bim sherman shirts on January 03, 2019, 04:40:14 PM
They could team up with some of these Fashwave lads and call themselves Brostika

That would be great I think

Songs about conker bannings

Might have to make some broswave sampling the documentary

Dannyhood91

"I wrote a song called We Are All Kings. You see a man sweeping the road to me he is a king. I'm thankful for him because I don't want to be sweeping the road."

Cuntbeaks

They've finally embraced the docu and are riding the zeitgeist it created to embark on a UK tour. Shame it just wasn't them, bickering, weeping, flouncing and spouting nonsense on stage for 2 hours.

Neomod

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on January 15, 2019, 06:41:55 PM
They've finally embraced the docu and are riding the zeitgeist it created to embark on a UK tour. Shame it just wasn't them, bickering, weeping, flouncing and spouting nonsense on stage for 2 hours.

Changed their tune then after the first Partridgian reaction

QuoteThe Times's weekend magazine published an interview with the musician on 12 January, which quoted him as saying people "will always take the piss" when it comes to the reaction to the documentary, where many have poked fun at the brothers's bizarre one-liners.

"But if that's their contribution to the universe then I pity them," he added. "I'm kinda sick of being ridiculed. I focus on the good people out there."

I'm surprised he didn't end with "In fact, I couldn't give a bloody shit"

phantom_power

He was in a bit of a bad mood as he had just come back from the warehouse where he watched his autobiography being pulped

gilbertharding

I don't watch Breakfast TV, but I think they were on Piers Morgan's show this morning announcing the tour, but Bald and Hair were via satellite from two separate studios, which bodes well.

The drumming one always had aspirations, didn't he? See him being Phil Collins on the Band Aid 2 video. What a wally.

Whither Ken? Do we know?