Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:28:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Slow Club and Bros docs

Started by Icehaven, November 09, 2018, 12:54:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: DrGreggles on January 15, 2019, 10:07:21 PM
Currently runs music.

Yep, he's had a hugely successful career since fleeing from this pair of wallies, so no wonder he didn't want anything to do with the reunion. He did, however, "wish them well" when asked about it, which was nice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Logan

PaulTMA

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 15, 2019, 09:32:02 PM
I don't watch Breakfast TV, but I think they were on Piers Morgan's show this morning announcing the tour, but Bald and Hair were via satellite from two separate studios, which bodes well.

Possibly as they no longer share bunk beds

Crabwalk

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 16, 2019, 12:15:35 AM
Yep, he's had a hugely successful career since fleeing from this pair of wallies, so no wonder he didn't want anything to do with the reunion. He did, however, "wish them well" when asked about it, which was nice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Logan

Ken was interviewed for the doc, but they chose to focus on the brothers' story in the edit. His interview is on the dvd apparently.

lankyguy95

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 15, 2019, 09:32:02 PM
The drumming one always had aspirations, didn't he? See him being Phil Collins on the Band Aid 2 video. What a wally.
One of the many highlights of the documentary was him saying that Led Zeppelin were his biggest influence. Like he'd forgotten that he was in Bros for a second..

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: MiddleRabbit on December 29, 2018, 08:39:43 PM
There were plenty of funny parts but on the whole I found it quite saddening in a way.  The pair of them, but especially hair, just can't communicate anything that they feel - and obviously they're both quite sensitive.  Hair mentioned how he loves words and I'm sure he does but equally he also has no idea how to put them together in order to make people, specifically bald, understand how he feels.

The pair of them have the idea that if they churn out enough slogans and cliches that, in some way, they'll appear to have some sort of depth to their thinking when obviously there's none there.

So far, so Jeremy Kyle, but it was apparent that both of them have upset the other one and they have no idea at all about how to address any of the festering resentments that crop up on the - obviously - rare occasions that they get together.

So, yeah, I was looking forward to Spinal Pop but it wasn't that at all really.  It was quite sad in the genuine sense of the word.

Not that I give much of a shit but neither of them appear to appreciate their place in the annals of pop which is, basically, 1988's teeny bop sensations.  As if they'd never heard of T Rex, The Bay City Rollers and all the rest of the pretty boy bands who burned so brightly and so briefly.

Also, having had a mosey through Wikipedia, a lot of their claims were just lies: they were never big in America, their big album reached number 171 and they played three small gigs in LA.  That was it. They didn't write their own big hit songs and the writing credits were specifically chosen to suggest that they did - 'The Brothers' who were credited with them were their producer and Tom Watkins.  The later albums that nobody gave a shit about had joint credits with bald and hair getting a bit of credit, but it was all over by then anyway.

They didn't split up when Chcolate Box only reached number 9 as they claimed. 

Their claimed achievements were, in the main, a load of bollocks.

Finally, the concert at the O2 seemed really subdued.  Maybe it was the sound mix, I don't know, but it looked like a few thousand people had, by the end of it, just found themselves looking at his pair of halfwits and wondering what they were thinking, turning up to that.

Finally finally, having read a lot of Twitter comments lauding it as 'David Brent, 'Spinal Tap' and all that, I wondered if there wasn't a certain amount of people who actually aren't all that different to bald and hair in that they just churn out received wisdom in the hope that they're right about it without ever really spending any time thinking about what they were writing meant.

Far more thought provoking than it should have been.

Yeah.

Ps: at the time (1988), it was hair's grunting all the way through everything that struck me as being really odd and none of that seemed to have survived.  Maybe that was what left he audience feeling underwhelmed by it all.  I dunno.

Pps: my favourite lyric, which I had assumed was one of hair's, but wasn't, is 'I'll watch you crumble like a very old wall'.  Nice one.

This.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Quote from: lankyguy95 on January 20, 2019, 12:21:37 AM
One of the many highlights of the documentary was him saying that Led Zeppelin were his biggest influence. Like he'd forgotten that he was in Bros for a second..

But... that's not completely strange, is it? Plenty of "serious" bands have members with varying tastes that aren't quite the sound the group they're in produces.

I do dimly recall that back in the day, when 80s indie teenagers like me sneered at the Bros boys, "actually he's a good drummer" was a rumour we'd heard even though no evidence for it has ever been located.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Yeah, despite Bald's desperately self-conscious need to show that he's into "proper music", I don't think it's unreasonable to accept that he really does love Led Zep.

DrGreggles

A drummer being a Bonzo fan?
It'd been more unlikely not to be true.

Funcrusher

I have a memory of him on some panel thing like Jukebox Jury in the 80's being asked about his favourite drummers and naming Phil Collins and Omar Hakim. I think he's always wanted to be considered as a serious muso.

SteveDave

The cheapest ticket for their Brixton Academy (repeat...Brixton Academy) show is £106. Facebook is in a badly spelt (or spelled?) uproar.

gmoney

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 20, 2019, 02:06:04 PM
Yeah, despite Bald's desperately self-conscious need to show that he's into "proper music", I don't think it's unreasonable to accept that he really does love Led Zep.

"Influence" suggests he's embued some of their sound into the music though, which maybe they have, I don't know. Seems a stretch though. I never doubted the sincerity of his fandom.

kngen

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on January 20, 2019, 02:06:04 PM

Maybe I misheard, but I'm pretty sure he mentioned 'In My Time of Dying' too. I mean, it's not cast-iron evidence that's he's a superfan, but it's a fairly deep cut, and it's not like he said 'uhh, the one about lemons?' - so yeah, I'm pretty sure he does actually like them. There's not an iota of Bonzo in his drumming style though, but then again, there's not a lot of churning Page-esque riffs that would benefit from that kind of drumming in Bros's back catalogue either (although I'm only really familiar with the hits - maybe all their later stuff sounded like Kashmir?)

lankyguy95

Quote from: Mark Steels Stockbroker on January 20, 2019, 12:10:27 PM
But... that's not completely strange, is it? Plenty of "serious" bands have members with varying tastes that aren't quite the sound the group they're in produces.
Not completely strange no, but very funny all the same.

Icehaven

The thing is with most boy and girl teeny-bop pop groups like what Bros were there's an assumption - at least at first anyway - that their actual input into the writing and production of their music is miniscule, which would mean he could be the biggest Led Zep fan in the world but as his musical output is being written, chosen and produced by someone else (and intended for the 80s teen pop market) it's not going to show. But Bros were trying to make out they actually had a lot of creative input, which makes it harder to see why some of their biggest 'influences' don't show up in their music one little bit.

Crabwalk

I think the 'Led Zep are my biggest influence' quote is funny in the context of that Wembley clip near the beginning, where Matt shouts 'ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?' and the band kicks in with a pathetically weak sound.

poodlefaker

On the subject of flabberghasting music documentaries, can I say thet the Fyre Festival thing on Netflix at the moment is definitely worth a watch. Can't find any mention of it elsewhere here.

gilbertharding

Oh yes, the Fyre Festival - watching that unfold live on twitter really warmed the cockles of my black heart, I'm sorry to say.

But the twitter account @fyrefestival is odd:

30 April 2017 - Sorry we are really sorry etc etc.

20 months' silence.

18 January 2019 - Remember us? There's a documentary about it! And please give generously to a Bahamian cafe owner who spent her savings feeding the starving festival goers.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

The Fyre Festival is what would have happened if Hollywood was producing Brexit, and the first decision is to move it to the Bahamas.

PlanktonSideburns

That fyre festival doc deserves it's own thread. Astonishing stuff

PaulTMA

Been looking for the Fyre festival thread on here, surely it's not going to end up tagged onto all this discussion about Slow Club?

Icehaven

Quote from: PaulTMA on January 22, 2019, 12:57:44 PM
Been looking for the Fyre festival thread on here, surely it's not going to end up tagged onto all this discussion about Slow Club?

You could always start one?

MiddleRabbit

Quote from: icehaven on January 21, 2019, 07:58:21 AM
The thing is with most boy and girl teeny-bop pop groups like what Bros were there's an assumption - at least at first anyway - that their actual input into the writing and production of their music is miniscule, which would mean he could be the biggest Led Zep fan in the world but as his musical output is being written, chosen and produced by someone else (and intended for the 80s teen pop market) it's not going to show. But Bros were trying to make out they actually had a lot of creative input, which makes it harder to see why some of their biggest 'influences' don't show up in their music one little bit.

Well, quite.

It's just another inevitable result of their collective lack of brains, the first problem being that you can't imagine what it's like to have more brains and therefore don't consider that those who do - such as you - are going to work things like that out.

The plus side of a lack of brains is that you remain blissfully unaware, even if you still have to deal with the reality of the situation.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Crabwalk on January 21, 2019, 08:13:05 AM
I think the 'Led Zep are my biggest influence' quote is funny in the context of that Wembley clip near the beginning, where Matt shouts 'ARE YOU READY TO ROCK?' and the band kicks in with a pathetically weak sound.

Maybe it was a tribute to Led Zep at Live Aid?

holyzombiejesus

Fyre thread is in Picture Box

Norton Canes

phantom_power

This has been nominated for some BAFTAs and people are congratulation Ross and Hoss Bros as if their input into the whole thing was somehow deliberate

Quote from: phantom_power on March 28, 2019, 01:41:37 PM
This has been nominated for some BAFTAs and people are congratulation Ross and Hoss Bros as if their input into the whole thing was somehow deliberate

Makes a nice change from being called a pair of talentless cunts for the majority of their lives to be fair.