Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,549,371
  • Total Topics: 106,172
  • Online Today: 659
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 19, 2024, 04:55:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

How many people should there be in a book club?

Started by Norton Canes, November 09, 2018, 03:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norton Canes

This question has just been aired in our office. Thought you lot might appreciate some input.

Norton Canes

If you need some guidance, the only response was '8 to 6'.

Norton Canes

Says a lot about our office that only one person bothered to venture an opinion.

I guess, then, if she went to a book club and there were six other people there, she'd feel completely at ease. If there were five other people there, or if there were seven other people there, she'd feel a bit edgy, but she'd stick around.

Norton Canes

Obviously the correct answer is 'None, it's a fucking book club'.

holyzombiejesus

Oof, can anyone remember that comedy about a book club? Think it was called The Book Group. Rubbish, wasn't it?

bomb_dog

Nah, it was quite a good series. I even bought it in DVD.
'Good on yer, big man'

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 10, 2018, 12:14:52 AM
Oof, can anyone remember that comedy about a book club? Think it was called The Book Group. Rubbish, wasn't it?

And well; the group...how many people were in it?

Icehaven

Quote from: Norton Canes on November 09, 2018, 03:57:26 PM
If you need some guidance, the only response was '8 to 6'.

I've run a couple of reading groups for a few years at work and I'd say this is more or less right, maybe 5-8. Any less than that and it can be a bit quiet and difficult to keep the discussion going long enough to make it worth the bother of meeting. Any more and it's very hard to have a group discussion that doesn't splinter into smaller conversations, which is fine of course but not really the idea. Also depending on the format of your meetings, if you go around the group and all have a bit of a say either before or after the general discussion then the more of you there are the longer that's going to take.

holyzombiejesus

Pingers

About 10-12 cos it's never the case that everyone's there at the same time

Icehaven

Quote from: Pingers on November 13, 2018, 07:33:40 PM
About 10-12 cos it's never the case that everyone's there at the same time

They are at mine! Admittedly that's largely because they don't have anything better to do.

The mobile library has one too, think how it works is they do about 5 books at a time then have meetings two or three times a year, and the librarian organising it keeps them informed what's going on by email. We did an exchange thing last year where she came to a few of our meetings then I went to one of theirs, but because they have 5 books to discuss it was scheduled to last about 3 hours, which was a bit much for me, and as they'd not see each other for months half the time was spent catching up with each other's news etc. Literally the opposite problem of my groups, where the blokes have spent all week together so have often already talked about the material.