Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:57:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Dark Souls Spoiler Chat for new players

Started by Thursday, November 09, 2018, 06:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

Thought it'd be better to start this here since the other thread is supposed to be for advice.

Thursday

Quote from: Bhazor on November 09, 2018, 10:58:22 AM
The ending in Dark Souls is ambiguous because the everything in Dark Souls is ambiguous. But to me the dark ending is the good ending. The age of light was really the gods burning the souls of their subjects as a sacrifice to themselves to keep their own flames burning and retain their immortality. This burning of souls is what causes the undead plague as humanity have their souls eked away. The abyss is not the darkness its the corruption of the evil acts of the gods and their failed experiments to rekindle their flames. The dark is simply the absence of the light of gods. The dark age refers to the dark souls of humanity shown as the swarm of spirits you find not as part of the abyss but trapped beneath it. Dark because unlike the light souls of Gwynn they are imperfect, they are mortal they will die and fade and merge and be reborn.

At least that was my take. I've not watched all the nerd shit.

I think the problem with this is there's lots to suggest Kaarthe who puts you up to it is a sinister fucker. Not to mention the Darkstalker's whole deal is stealing other people's humanity... which isn't a particularly nice thing. It's presented as a thing you do for your own greed and power so at the end at they all bow down before you, so even if there is an argument for it, it plays out in a way that suggests you're being selfish in going for this ending.

Kelvin

To me, it's like saying "would you rather live under the establishment or in a freezing, black hellscape". Yes, the former is far from ideal, but it's better than an endless night. There's no real choice or ambiguity unless you're playing a character who wants power, or bring everything down no matter what the cost. Or to resume the natural order, I suppose. 

I appreciate this may be retconned in DS3 (based on what someone said in the other thread), but from the Dark Souls wiki's I read, and the content of the game I've just played, the first game does not present a compelling reason to go "dark" if you're playing a "good" character.