Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:44:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"So I Married An Axe Murderer"

Started by gazzyk1ns, February 22, 2004, 11:45:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gazzyk1ns

I wanted to start a thread about this 1993 Mike Myers film because I think it's hugely underrated. Does anyone else really like it?

Apart from Being very funny and having very well-written characters, it also has that attribute which only the best things do... it's hugely watchable, you can just stick it on when you're bored and you'll not tire of it, no matter how many previous viewings there have been.

Has anyone given it "a fair go" and not liked it?

Marvin

Only saw this once, years ago, when it was first on television I think, but I remember really liking it, might have to borrow it off someone and have a watch soon.

Doesn't he play two parts in it?

gazzyk1ns

Yep, he plays his dad too... as far as I know, a first outing for that Scottish accent he clearly loves to do (apart from the little bits in Wayne's World).

If anyone's not seen it then I would recommend giving it a watch... don't expect to fall off your seat in uncontrollable laughter, but do expect a pleasant and funny film. It's weird how you think to mention these things, I've got it on video but not watched it for literally a year or so. The little poems the main character comes out with are really good:

Harriet!
Harri-ett
Hard hearted harbinger of haggis....

european son

Quote from: "gazzyk1ns"I wanted to start a thread about this 1993 Mike Myers film because I think it's hugely underrated. Does anyone else really like it?

i fucking love it. its not as good as Wayne's World 2 (or even the first Wayne's World movie), but way better than all that Austin Powers stuff.

gazzyk1ns

Hehe glad people liked it, I started the thread and then got scared everyone would reply nervously with "You... liked that?".

Interesting that you prefer the second Wayne's World to the first, I like both a lot but I think the first one has... something... about it, a sense of the era/genre (of music and music fan) which the second one hasn't.

Purple Tentacle

She was a thief
You have to be-lief.
She stole my heart
And my cat.

blue jammer

I really liked this, and I remember the Dad shouting "Heeeeeed" at him a lot, that cracked me up, I must dig it out again and give it another watch to refresh myself.

I keep seeing this on DVD really cheap and picking it up thinking "I remember enjoying this" but then thinking ".. but I probably won't anymore, maturity, growing up blah blah".

Might get it now.

It Was Cancer

I love that film. I think Mike Myers is under-rated.  I know Austin Powers is one of yer "WOW! HOLLYWOOD! " hits but he's done other great stuff, and he's a great actor, and not just of the comic variety.

MonkeyDrummer

This is weird, I have the film on VHS but all it gets used for is to prop open my window now and that's where it is now. I bought the film expecting to love it, but alas, it was dissapointing. Still, he does the best Scottish accent I've ever heard.

Capuchin

I do like this and i keep meaning to pick it up when I see it cheap.
I keep seeing his Saturday Night Live DVD too, but I'm not as attracted to that...anyone seen?

gazzyk1ns

Not seen the DVD but I have a friend who LOVES SNL, has done since he was about 11... he's got loads of videos with Myers on. It's really not to my taste, most SNL stuff just seems like smug American humour at which the audience are reacting just because of who the stars are, as opposed to because the jokes/sketches are actually funny. Even Ackroyd/Murray/Murphy, who I love in "other situations", always just appear to be... playing the SNL game, it makes me cringe.

Probably just a personal thing, though.

Rats

That's someone else I was told I looked like, Mike Myers in that film by my girlfriend who was a ginge. Is that unnatractive enough for you mundays? He's got a mole and everything.

TOCMFIC

It is a pretty good movie. I remember renting it when it came out on video and thought "This sucks". I've seen it since I moved over here though several times and really like it now.

Alan Arkin is great in it.

Mike Myers annoys the piss out of me now. In Axe Murderer he underplays it and it works. It's when he goes overboard and plays characters like Austin Powers etc... he annoys me.

Entropy Balsmalch

Yeah, s'quiet good.

Easy watching and much better than Austin Powers or Wayne's World.

That Scottish accent is fucking awful though.

kidsick5000

I will always remember that film for the agpipes version of Do Ya Think Im Sexy

and of course.. "LETS.  GET. PISSED"

TOCMFIC

"We have a piper down. Repeat, we have a piper down."

23 Daves

For all my sins (and I realise this is likely to get me a back-alley punching from the zoot-suited Comedy Chat cats) I actually really enjoyed the first two Austin Powers films.  Nothing revolutionary or 'clever' about either of them, but as a bit of sugary fun they worked, and provided enough laughs for me.

I have yet to see "Axe Murderer" though, but most of my friends and my girlfriend seem to think it's a superb piece of work.  Therefore, that fact combined with the info provided here means I must check it out soon.  Cheers.

king mob

Quote from: "Entropy Balsmalch"Yeah, s'quiet good.

Easy watching and much better than Austin Powers or Wayne's World.

That Scottish accent is fucking awful though.

Its not that bad compared with what you normally hear in AMerican films.
At least they have the father drinking McKewens Export.

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "23 Daves"For all my sins (and I realise this is likely to get me a back-alley punching from the zoot-suited Comedy Chat cats) I actually really enjoyed the first two Austin Powers films.  Nothing revolutionary or 'clever' about either of them, but as a bit of sugary fun they worked, and provided enough laughs for me.

The first was good. Don't get me wrong. (First movie I ever downloaded off the net actually:) This was before it was even out on video. I bought it first chance I had.) The problem for me started with the second one. It was SO overhyped. The level of humour lowered (Austin drinking shit anyone?), and it started to move from being Bond parody to "Gee, isn't Mike Myers talented! Look! He plays so many characters!" And then you had fucking Mini-Me, a one note joke that has been done to fucking death now. Most of the gags were recycled from the first movie... Terrible really.

Didn't even bother with the third one.

El Unicornio, mang

I liked the first two Austin Powers films, and the third had a couple of laughs. I remember just before Austin Powers 2 came out, this film critic guy on Radio (the one who sometimes does reviews with Mark Kermode, and oddly, not only sounds exactly like him, but also looks quite like him too) said that it was "possibly the best film I have ever seen". Mmmm.

Incidentally, Mike Myers' dad is Scottish, which might explain why he does a good Scottish accent. He also used to be on Wacaday with Timmy Mallet (Myers, not his dad)

Um, I don't remember much about the film, except the awful version of 'There She Goes'  by the Boo Radleys, though thankfully they also play the original in the movie.

gazzyk1ns

'Twas by The La's, not the Boo Radleys, wasn't it?

El Unicornio, mang

Yes. I remember my other half saying to me "Oh, I thought the Boo Radleys did it originally". I would have killed her at that point but they still have the death penalty here for such crimes....

TOCMFIC

Quote from: "The Unicorn"Incidentally, Mike Myers' dad is Scottish, which might explain why he does a good Scottish accent. He also used to be on Wacaday with Timmy Mallet (Myers, not his dad)

Erm... Hate to question, but do you have any evidence of this? Reason I ask is Myers is obviously pretty big over here because he actually grew up in Canada.

Edit: Holy potatoes! You're correct. (please note, could have deleted my wrongheaded questioning like some other folks would, but didn't...:))

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0295140/

Man, I was a religious follower of Wacaday, but don't remember anyone other than Timmy or Michaela...

Entropy Balsmalch

Quote from: "TOCMFIC"Man, I was a religious follower of Wacaday, but don't remember anyone other than Timmy or Michaela...

The only bit I really remember Mr Myers doing was the Fast Asleep Club bit in it for a while.