Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:04:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb Your Enthusiasm S10

Started by Malcy, November 10, 2018, 12:29:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Filming's underway on the next series. They've released a promo.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=aBlZxXr_bZM

I'm really looking forward to it. Seems like ages since the last series.

up_the_hampipe

Oh excellent, I wasn't even expecting a new season with how long it took to get season 9.

Maurice Yeatman

I was actually expecting this a bit sooner, given that LD had said as soon as season 9 was out that he was working on another. I think he was definitely conscious of the long wait for s.9, and didn't want to leave it so long given his age. He's in great nick for 71 though.

thugler

Season 9 was pretty weak bar a couple of eps so not expecting much, but I'll still watch

Replies From View

Series 9 took a while to hit its stride, with everyone seeming a bit 'off' regarding their characters and their response to contrived antagonistic scenarios.  With them getting to series 10 more quickly I'm hoping they won't have to go through the same warm-up process all over again.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

I didn't like how forced Season 9's 'awkwardness' seemed, as well as the situations feeling like Larry was struggling to find universally relatable social annoyances. I also couldn't stand the Hamilton guy.

Season 9 was horrific. But I have enough faith in the LD track record to still have hope going in a new one.

New Jack

I liked season 9 overall though it felt like our hero changed to Jerkass Larry.

Curb has a lot of credit with me, though, so roll on series 10!

Maurice Yeatman

Yes, I liked season 9 more than 8.

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 11, 2018, 01:33:01 AM
Season 9 was horrific. But I have enough faith in the LD track record to still have hope going in a new one.

If you find a season 'horrific', why would you have faith in the next?

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on November 10, 2018, 05:28:38 PMI also couldn't stand the Hamilton guy.

But you were supposed to dislike him.

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on November 11, 2018, 02:00:04 AM
If you find a season 'horrific', why would you have faith in the next?

Because the first eight seasons were very funny.

Replies From View

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 11, 2018, 02:26:42 AM

This.  A momentary blip caused by everyone forgetting how to make Curb after a few years away doesn't necessarily indicate that there will be a continued downwards trajectory from now on.

Plus series 9 had enough moments of its own, anyway.

Mango Chimes

Series 9 was the first bad series of Curb, but also the first non-excellent one. I'm hopeful that it can get a better final run than that.

EDIT: 'Season', if you must.

Sexton Brackets Drugbust

Quote from: Maurice Yeatman on November 11, 2018, 02:00:04 AM
But you were supposed to dislike him.

There's a difference between enjoying disliking an 'antagonist' and not being able to stand a person in a show.

Malcy

2 years ago this week that they started filming the last series. Was it the following April/May that it aired? I watched the 3 leaked episodes a month before. Couldn't resist!

Replies From View

Quote from: Malcy on November 11, 2018, 02:44:30 PM
I watched the 3 leaked episodes a month before. Couldn't resist!

Same here.  And I'm glad I did.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 11, 2018, 02:26:42 AM

Yeah, fair enough. I guess I'm surprised at how many people dislike season 9.

Maurice Yeatman

Quote from: Sexton Brackets Drugbust on November 11, 2018, 11:00:24 AM
There's a difference between enjoying disliking an 'antagonist' and not being able to stand a person in a show.

Conceded, again. I took your post too literally.

Replies From View

It'll be interesting to see whether season 10 can bring anything new to the mix (or if it needs to).

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Replies From View on November 14, 2018, 04:04:57 PM
It'll be interesting to see whether season 10 can bring anything new to the mix (or if it needs to).

I'd love to see Larry do an emotional dance sequence.

Replies From View

I'm wondering if we need some new regular characters at least.

Malcy

Quote from: Replies From View on November 14, 2018, 04:34:54 PM
I'm wondering if we need some new regular characters at least.

I would never have thought that Leon would be in this for so long. I thought the whole Black family would have left at the end of S6. Was delighted that Leon stuck around and Larry just went with it. I'm going to order The Book Of Leon later. Been meaning to get it for ages

Need to step up my rewatch as well. Still on S1.

Good excuse to post this again .

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tRifPiuew1k

Mango Chimes

Leon felt weird last season. But then so did everyone.

mojo filters

I really liked S9. It had the same holistic theme of earlier seasons, with plenty of great stand alone episodes to boot!

I assumed the long gap between 8 and 9 helped, as I thought 7 and 8 were starting to feel like they'd run out of ideas in places. The car telescope episode was especially poor, as well as rehashed from Seinfeld.

I'm optimistic for S10, as hopefully Larry still has plenty of interesting and original ideas left. If it's going to be the last season, I hope there's a decent ending. Having said that, Larry does look remarkably healthy for his age - so maybe we have a few more series to come...as long as he doesn't attempt another Clear History!

good times

Quote from: mojo filters on November 15, 2018, 02:07:47 PM
Having said that, Larry does look remarkably healthy for his age - so maybe we have a few more series to come...as long as he doesn't attempt another Clear History!

I agree although S9 was the first time where he had noticeably aged having looked the same for about 20 years.

That said in the trailer for S10 he seems to have reverted to ageless Larry. The joys of going bald young I guess.

I feel it would be remiss of Larry David to not address the Me Too climate in this season. It could be potentially disastrous  for everyone if done badly though.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: thecuriousorange on November 19, 2018, 09:13:42 PM
I feel it would be remiss of Larry David to not address the Me Too climate in this season. It could be potentially disastrous  for everyone if done badly though.

Larry gets falsely accused of sexual harassment after picking a gummy bear off the back of a woman's trousers.

Replies From View

Has anybody rewatched series 9 since the first time?

I'm rewatching it now, and am up to episode 4.  Whether through low expectations or the fact I haven't over-watched it to death like I have with series 1-8, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I was expecting.

mojo filters

Quote from: Replies From View on December 03, 2018, 10:15:18 PM
Has anybody rewatched series 9 since the first time?

I'm rewatching it now, and am up to episode 4.  Whether through low expectations or the fact I haven't over-watched it to death like I have with series 1-8, I'm enjoying it a lot more than I was expecting.

I've done a couple of rewatches, though just like you wanted to avoid what I've done with seasons 1 through 6 in terms of over-exposure.

I was pleasantly surprised in that it all held together nicely, but I don't think much changed since the original broadcast. For example the lesbian hairdresser storyline still seems dumb and overly contrived, in an attempt to force some humour.

I think watching it all in one go made me better appreciate how brilliant the last couple of episodes are, though I loved that denouement the first time around already.

Malcy

Just watched a trailer for everything coming to HBO this year. There's a load of shows shown but no mention of Curb. I would have thought it would be on sometime in the next few months but there's been little news since they announced filming had started.

Anyone heard anything?

St_Eddie

Quote from: Malcy on February 25, 2019, 05:59:26 PM
Anyone heard anything?

Some bellend shouting down the street at 11:30pm last night.

Oh, you meant regarding the new season of Curb.  No, I haven't heard anything about that.