Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:25:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How disgraceful is being fat?

Started by Tombola, November 10, 2018, 12:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 10, 2018, 09:58:02 AM
It's true, thanks to this man's "electric" charisma he is, to quote him directly "fighting the birds off with a stick", though that is also why he is now in a special fat prison for obese rapists.

Yes, let's all make fun of people with mental health issues. Fucking hell.

Tombola

Aye sod it. Appreciate the contributions!

New Jack

Universal Credit is fuckin hard. I want to meet a feeder.

bgmnts

These new boxers I got are XX-Large, meant to fit round a 41" waist and are elasticated, they are so tight. Yet, other clothes that are similar whale size do fit. Maybe I have to loosen these with my gargantuan frame, break them in.

Down to the gym soon i think hahhaha. What a whale I am haha

Disgraceful.

Johnny Yesno

Don't try and hide it, is my advice. I don't think it works, instead coming across as lacking confidence. You'll never please the snarky cunts unless you submit to their body fascism, so they are best ignored.

There's two larger women (one quite significantly so) where I work, who don't appear to give a flying fuck, routinely wearing figure-hugging clothes, and they look amazing. They also happen to both be really sweet and kind, on top of being confident.

And, unsurprisingly, both have boyfriends (one of whom I've met, and he's top bloke too). Bah.

Johnny Yesno

bgmnts

Are we talking chubby or obese here?

Also, whoever creates a fat only gym would make an absolute fucking mint.

PlanktonSideburns

Tombola

Quote from: bgmnts on November 10, 2018, 01:59:08 PM
Are we talking chubby or obese here?

Also, whoever creates a fat only gym would make an absolute fucking mint.

Oh just chubby really. I had an idea for a gym with different levels - ground floor for the overweight, first floor for the average, second floor for the fitties, and roof for the athletes, only accessible by rope.

mr. logic

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 10, 2018, 12:00:31 PM

Yeah, that was a horrible post. That man is clearly unwell.

Chollis

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 10, 2018, 12:00:31 PM

Are all obese people mentally ill? Genuine question.

New Jack

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 10, 2018, 03:22:02 PM

I'm a bit obsessed with mental health since a stint working for the NHS and I always get shy of defining what mentally healthy is.

You earthlings seem designed to spot difference, aberration. But indeed what the fuck is normal?

There's a quote in Trainspotting I like, Renton goes: if you were of sound mind, got it approved by a doctor, classed as sane, but still wanted to take smack, they wouldn't let you. Because it would be a repudiation of their ideals and a sign of their own failure.

I reckon that attitude applies to many things. Weight, most certainly. No, obesity isn't about repudiation society any more than all drug use is; but the sneering judgement does absolutely fuck all to help.

The element of choice just seems nearer the surface... But I'm not qualified. I just don't know. I do suspect you don't become obese because your life is fuckin brill. I also know nobody has a brill life, from every single perspective.

But nor does it have to express negativity. I become high when I'm happy. I become drunk when I'm happy. I don't know what mental health is as it has zero definition except when it comes to troubleshooting. No trouble? No shooting.

And obesity, well, then you toss genes in, and all that uncontrollable stuff it's simply not ethical to judge. You can only attack where choice begins. And God forbid you ever show an outward sign of weakness. You know why I'm happy to pour my fucking life out? Because its strength. I own it that way.

Odd as it may sound, consumption is often not about what is being consumed. The only authentic understanding is Why. I suppose to understand a case of obesity, well, that's it: I'd need an individual, not a swathe of stats.

What causes mental illness? Well, if I must answer such wide vague terms, Life. What causes obesity? Is it really going to be wildly different?

Janie Jones

Indeed. We're all fuck-ups but many of us can hide our addictions, obsessions and failings for some or all of the time whereas the obese person, well, their inability to have a healthy relationship with food and exercise is right there for anyone to see within a nanosecond of clapping eyes on them.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 10, 2018, 03:22:02 PM

Well I'm no expert but I personally don't feel all people who are obese are mentally ill, no, some just have a bad relationship with food. But when you get to the size of the person in that photograph then I feel it is a case of mental illness.

Oh, and I agree with everything that NewJack and Janie say above. And feel it's truly bleak that whenever there's a thread on obesity certain people make disparaging comments, but I doubt it's ever going to stop sadly.

Mister Six

Quote from: New Jack on November 10, 2018, 03:38:10 PM
What causes mental illness? Well, if I must answer such wide vague terms, Life. What causes obesity? Is it really going to be wildly different?

And obesity and mental illness are frequently interlinked, because both illnesses and medications can sap the energy you need to get proper exercise - and the latter can fuck with your metabolism too. Making fun of the obese is just a shit thing to do, though I'm sure I've done it in the past.

bgmnts

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 10, 2018, 04:15:01 PM
Well I'm no expert but I personally don't feel all people who are obese are mentally ill, no, some just have a bad relationship with food. But when you get to the size of the person in that photograph then I feel it is a case of mental illness.

Oh, and I agree with everything that NewJack and Janie say above. And feel it's truly bleak that whenever there's a thread on obesity certain people make disparaging comments, but I doubt it's ever going to stop sadly.

Eh i've been obese for most of my adult life and i'm okay with it.

the

Quote from: Tombola on November 10, 2018, 12:36:13 AMI've just turned 30. Never had an adult relationship, primarily because I've never been one to give enough of a shit, knowing how little I bring to the table, but part of me is telling me to do better. I'm not obese, but if you ever wanted to see a muffin in its third semester, it's pretty gross. Is it possible to be a sexual being whilst yelling to an Elvis impsonator ?

Know ye that the way people think about their own bodies is usually fucking stupid, totally off the mark, and illiterate of how appeal is actually working.

Moreover I suspect you've asked this pack of chucklepricks in order to confirm your suspicions and defeat yourself:

Quote from: Tombola on November 10, 2018, 12:59:01 PMAye sod it. Appreciate the contributions!

If you want to change, change to be more healthy and comfortable, but don't change to attract the people in your head because they're a vaporous lying cartoon. Otherwise, check yourself to make sure you're not accidentally repelling people and defeating yourself via attitude and behaviour, and attraction will operate independently of your so-called muffin

Shit Good Nose

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: bgmnts on November 10, 2018, 04:24:49 PM
Eh i've been obese for most of my adult life and i'm okay with it.

That's why I said no, it didn't apply to all obese people.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 10, 2018, 04:15:01 PM

I've been overweight most of my adult life and obese for a few years and, except for when I suffered from paternal post natal depression for a couple of years (when, ironically, I was at my slimmest, healthiest and fittest), I've never had any mental health problems.  I just fucking love food and have a massive appetite.

I'm currently fat but fit.

I guess the main problem with being overweight to a significant degree is the potential health problems. 

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 10, 2018, 05:06:10 PM
I've been overweight most of my adult life and obese for a few years and, except for when I suffered from paternal post natal depression for a couple of years (when, ironically, I was at my slimmest, healthiest and fittest), I've never had any mental health problems.  I just fucking love food and have a massive appetite.

I'm currently fat but fit.

I guess the main problem with being overweight to a significant degree is the potential health problems.

That's why I said no, it didn't apply to all obese people.

I'm obese as well and don't put it down to mental illness, but I definitely have an unhealthy relationship with food. I've been dieting ever since my diabetes diagnosis and often have shitty days where I miss eating fuck loads of chocolate a great deal, with today being one of them.

Shit Good Nose

Good luck with the diet SMBH - as a food lover I know how fucking difficult it is.

I forgot to add the flipside to my earlier post - Mrs Nose is now morbidly obese (having been "normal" weight when we first got together), and in her case it is a direct result of her mental health problems, not helped by the fact that I think her meds are adding to it as well.

thenoise

Shit Good Nose

That's a bit like suggesting to all CaBbers try wank less.

tookish

I think your issue, as you've indicated yourself, is that you haven't worked at relationships in the past.

In a mature relationship, I really doubt your weight will be much of a factor. After all, if you are with somebody for the long-haul, you'll watch them slide further and further away from conventional attractiveness just by virtue of ageing. (Not that I think getting older means getting less attractive - just that the conventions of attraction are thin, young, virile, etc).

Tookish mentions having two partners, but - I'm fat, and I've got two partners. They've been with me at a much heavier weight, and don't mind that I'm all fat again after a brief stint of being a healthy weight.

bgmnts

tookish

I am lucky, because my relationship is lovely, but it's lovely because we all work at it and don't get hung up on petty meaningless shit like weight gain. I don't think I'm lucky to be fat and in a relationship. I think that a lot of people will date fat people.