Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:01:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Forza Horizon 4

Started by The Boston Crab, November 10, 2018, 11:40:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
Quote from: Blue Jam on February 08, 2021, 02:08:29 PM
Just bumping this thread because I started playing this on Game Pass again recently and found there's something properly relaxing about being able to drive around Edinburgh at a time when I can't go out there for real. Driving round the lochs and then up Arthur's Seat with a bit of Debussy on the radio as the ruins of St. Anthony's Chapel come into view. It's a lovely bit of escapism and just what I need right now.

How long do you have to play this before you can buy Edinburgh Castle?

It's the most expensive property in the game at 15m credits so it does take a while.

Zetetic

I swear I played the demo of this and it's making me go through it's 8 hour opening epic of "never ending festival" dogshit cutscenes populated by plastic creatures with god knows what moving under the skin, again.

The jets keep making me think of dead Yemenis.

How long before they stop trying to ruin their own game?

Zetetic

Christ, it won't let me switch the radio off yet[nb]Edit: It does, but it doesn't let you turn the volume to zero.[/nb] and keeps inserting a ghost from my past as an AI driver.

Zetetic

I do like how well it adapts to you to insisting on buying the worst car you find.

El Unicornio, mang

Started playing Forza Horizon 3 again, with the Blizzard Mountain add-on which is really nice. I'll probably get around to 4 at some point although I much prefer exotic locations to roam around in than UK ones. Driving a 1985 Lamborghini Countach around the outback is fantastic escapism.

Incidentally, there's a weird bug which causes both 3 and 4 to go grey screen and crash to desktop, bizarrely related to a sound service which runs by default on some laptops/PCs. Fix here if anyone has the problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAregRet7p8&ab_channel=MOKUJIN.-

Famous Mortimer

Finally got bored of the drivers who just exploit the janky physics on GTA Online so am giving this a proper go. It's loads of fun to play, and they give you several lifetimes worth of car choices too. I perhaps miss proper track driving, or maybe I'm just at the stage where I'm constantly playing new races so I don't have the opportunity to learn the lines like I used to.

You eventually learn the "tracks" if you drive them enough. There's a proper dedicated race circuit in the Lego expansion too.

Steven88

I almost bought an xbox one to play this and normal Forza (plus my old 360 games) about 18 months ago. I missed out on those games because I had a PS4 last gen that packed in so I spent the money on a new PS4 pro to replace it. Pretty sure thr xbox was £180 with Forza included, now it's £250 for just the console, fuck that.

Poobum

Love the game, but have never really gotten over there being no mid 90s Vauxhall Nova.

beanheadmcginty

Can anybody explain why in a game that does such a great job of making everything look accurate, the number plate typeface is completely wrong? Did the DVLA stick their oar in or something?

Malcy

Best bit about the game for me is finding Gene Hunt's shot up Audi Quattro from Ashes To Ashes in a barn. Late to the party on this one and haven't played it for weeks due to having no time but really want to get back in to it. Loads to do and a really great game.

Doubt I'll get anywhere near to finishing the bulk of it before the new one is out though.

Wonderful Butternut

I spent 2 hours tonight trying to get the latest version of Shutoko Revival Project for Assetto Corsa working so I could cruise around Japanese highways with some synthwave in the background. Probably should've just booted up FH4 instead for faster open world driving satisfaction.

I will probably end up buying FH5 even though deep down I know that it's going to be 90% the same game as FH4, but in a different setting. I got my money's worth from 4 though. So that makes it okay........ yes.... definitely.

Does it seem a bit rum to be roleplaying driving hypercars worth millions around Mexico though?

Neomod

What's the best budget steering wheel for the xboxone or are they all massively overpriced?

I had one for Forza Horizon 2 on the 360 but it's incompatible with the One. Was very relaxing driving through  France and Italy so have held off playing four for now til I get one.

Chollis

Is this the best driving game then? I haven't played one since I was a nipper and was thinking of getting one. The only one I remember really getting into was Gran Turismo where you start off in a little banger and win races (cups, tournaments) to upgrade your wheels. Forza sounds like it's a bit more open world and less track-orientated? While writing this post I searched Gran Turismo and it's PlayStation only (i'm PC), so I'll get Forza 4 will i?

BeardFaceMan

If you prefer arcade-style racing to a racing sim, the Horizon games really can't be beat.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Neomod on September 14, 2021, 08:55:15 AM
What's the best budget steering wheel for the xboxone or are they all massively overpriced?

I had one for Forza Horizon 2 on the 360 but it's incompatible with the One. Was very relaxing driving through  France and Italy so have held off playing four for now til I get one.

The Thrustmaster TMX is the cheapest one that's made by a reputable manufacturer and has force feedback. There are cheaper non-branded wheels with no force feedback, but I couldn't tell you what is and isn't tat that'll break inside 6 months.

Honestly though, the Horizon games are really made for a controller - the ffb is wooden and uninformative. I wouldn't go out and get a wheel specifically for them.

Quote from: Chollis on September 14, 2021, 10:05:33 AM
Is this the best driving game then? I haven't played one since I was a nipper and was thinking of getting one. The only one I remember really getting into was Gran Turismo where you start off in a little banger and win races (cups, tournaments) to upgrade your wheels. Forza sounds like it's a bit more open world and less track-orientated? While writing this post I searched Gran Turismo and it's PlayStation only (i'm PC), so I'll get Forza 4 will i?

It's got similar principles in that you can upgrade shitboxes as you collect money from winning events and make them faster, or just buy new cars. Races are also divided by class in a lot of cases (both by performance and by era and type of car) encouraging you to drive a variety of vehicles. But as you say it's a lot more open world that GT. Events aren't just ordinary races too, you have things like racing against guys wearing jet powered wingsuits in Showcase Events, and there's stuff like jumps and speed traps dotted around the place for extra money and points.

Physics wise it's non-binary in terms of arcade racer to sim racer. It's probably a bit more towards arcade style than Gran Turismo, has a full suite of in-game assists for people who don't have wheels or analogue sticks for fine inputs, and it's obviously miles behind a full sim like Automobilista in terms of realism. But it's more realistic than floaty crap like the last few NFS titles where you take every corner with 60 degrees slip angle cos the developers stayed up all night watching Initial D. And it doesn't have that annoying rubberbanding from the AI where they're always close to you no matter how slow or fast you're going. The cars feel like they have actual weight, feel different from each other and if you slap on all power upgrades to a Ford Fiesta with no grip/handling mods it'll usually be undriveable, which is what would happen in real life.

In terms of having a lot of cars to buy, modify and have stuff to do with them, and having some realism without having to fire in an hour of practice before you can race somebody, it's a good bet and you should have fun with it.

I was going to suggest seeing can you get Forza Horizon 3 on the cheap to see do you like it (it's the same game, just in a different setting and with a bit less to do) before sheling out on FH4 or waiting for FH5 in a couple of months. But on checking Microsoft don't sell it anymore to make everyone buy the more expensive and newer FH4. Bastards.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on September 14, 2021, 12:10:32 PM
The Thrustmaster TMX is the cheapest one that's made by a reputable manufacturer and has force feedback.

I bet it is, you dirty old bollocks.

I was going to suggest seeing can you get Forza Horizon 3 on the cheap to see do you like it (it's the same game, just in a different setting and with a bit less to do) before sheling out on FH4 or waiting for FH5 in a couple of months. But on checking Microsoft don't sell it anymore to make everyone buy the more expensive and newer FH4. Bastards.

That's not the reason. Licenses expire and are either too expensive to renew for the sales potential of an old game or there are other reasons why they can't renew; don't want to promote old cars/songs, manufacturers want things changed in the game to better reflect their products, exclusivity deals with other games released since, etc.

Chollis

snip

Cheers! You've convinced me. It's £55 on Steam now which seems like a lot considering it's 3 years old, was hoping the price would've dropped with the new one less than 2 months away. Looking at the Steam Store you can pre-order Forza 5 for £50, so I'll give some thought as to whether I buy 4 now or wait for 5

Zetetic

I note that both 4 and 5 are included in Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass for PC (the cost of which adds up to around £50+ after 7 months or so).

You can also get the Microsoft store version from CDKeys for just under £30, or the Ultimate edition for £40:

https://www.cdkeys.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=forza%20horizon%20

Horizon 3 Ultimate for £30 whilst you still can is not to be sniffed at either.

Poobum

Horizon 4 is basically what I played all through lockdown and the main reason I have a game pass sub. Expansions are worth getting as well. The Lego one basically catches the silly fun of the Lego platformers in a racing game. The island one is a really beautiful location with some really unique and challenging events.

Is a brilliant game, where pretty much any kind or racing style is accommodated. You wanna race classic jags, you can. Wanna slide about in 80s Rally monsters, you can. Wanna see if you can keep a Koenigsegg on the road racing against a Bugatti at 200 mph, you can try. Wanna race a Warthog from Halo across farmers fields, you actually can (someone made one in real life). There are brilliant side missions as well, such as recreating absurd insurance claims to see if they're real (which involves doing insane stunts and jumps) and my favourite one which is a tribute to the history of racing games with really fun missions recreating OutRun and Sega Rally.

The destructibility of the world is quite fun as well, but if you're like me and rely on walls to bounce you round corners then, also like me, you gonna end up in some ditches or have intimate encounters with trees.

oustropique

One side-effect of the 'end of life' delistings are that you can get the game for a lot less than normal. Forza Motorsport 7 gets delisted in a day or so and you can get its various editions for -75% off. Horizon 3 had the same promotion and I picked it up then.

Famous Mortimer

I've been playing it loads, the past few days, and it's just loads of fun. I like the difficulty system, you can find a spot that's nice and challenging for you or you can just whack everything on easy and beat everyone by miles (I'm on "highly skilled" at the moment, if I get a good start I can usually win races).

I've not even touched the DLCs yet, because there's so much to do in the regular game. I'm going to have a bash at the taxi storyline in a bit, too.

BeardFaceMan

I like how the difficulty adjusts too, so as you get better at the game it'll give you little reminders to up the difficulty a bit so it's easy to find your level.

Famous Mortimer

Giving the drift story a bash now. I don't think I've ever mastered drifting in a Forza game; when they had it in...the Need For Speed series?...I would nail the gold medal scores in no time at all.

Malcy

A guy at work was telling me about the Eliminator. Gave it a go and thought it only OK. Straight off the bat people were getting great cars. It took me ages to find one and i still ended up with a mini which I'm convinced was slower than the basic one you begin with. Still came 6th though.

2nd attempt and people kept challenging me to head to heads, which i eventually lost. Is there a knack for getting the good cars?

Quote from: Malcy on September 19, 2021, 05:59:05 PM
A guy at work was telling me about the Eliminator. Gave it a go and thought it only OK. Straight off the bat people were getting great cars. It took me ages to find one and i still ended up with a mini which I'm convinced was slower than the basic one you begin with. Still came 6th though.

2nd attempt and people kept challenging me to head to heads, which i eventually lost. Is there a knack for getting the good cars?

Like most battle royale games your drops are randomised, so it's more luck than judgement. What is useful is practising driving the early cars in all conditions and terrains so you can take shortcuts and beat higher level cars.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Malcy on September 19, 2021, 05:59:05 PM

Yeah I struggle with that too, no matter what I do I just can't seem to find any cars. Best I could find from looking online for help was that heavily built up or residential areas are good but it's a total crapshoot, really, that's what makes it so frustrating. A bit like why I don't like other Battle Royale games, too much aimless wandering around looking for something to do. I think a level 6 car was the highest I've got and that was from winning head-to-heads, not finding the cars in the wild.

The only way I've found luck in the head-to-head races is if we're both bollocking along in different directions and the race is triggered when you pass each other, there's a 50/50 chance you're going to be going full speed in the right direction while your opponent goes the other way, so you get a lengthy head start while they have to stop and turn around. Either that or you wearily sigh "oh for fucks sake" and throw your controller down as you're headed in the wrong direction and can't be arsed to stop and turn around. Again.

I should also add the caveat that I'm a shit driver.

Famous Mortimer

There's definitely a hefty element of luck in it, I beat a level 6 car with the Mini I was tootling around in because I was pointing the right way, pretty much. It's not my favourite part of the game, certainly.

Highly Skilled is about my level, I've lost a few in a row and the game asked if I wanted to drop it again, but I'm soldiering on.