Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:39:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The OFFICIAL CAB Farming Simulator 19 Thread.

Started by mobias, November 10, 2018, 01:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobias

Ladies and Gentlemen fanfare please! With God of War, Spiderman and Red Dead Redemption 2 out of the way its time to make way the the crescendo of this years gaming releases. I am of course talking about Farming Simulator 19. Farming Simulator 17 changed my life. I mean literally it changed my life. I bought it for the PS4 on a whim, played for a few hours, decided it was crap and almost gave up on it. Then I decided to give it more of a chance since I'd paid 40 quid for it. Slowly its appeal and charm started to wear off on me. Before I knew it I was playing it every evening and most weekends. I took myself off various dating websites because I decided there was really no point. I knew which direction my life was heading and it was all pointed towards celibate virtual digital agriculture.

Since the console version of FS-17 is really a stripped down of the PC version (the natural home of the game) I decided there was only one thing for it and that was to fork out 2 grand on GTX1080 specced PC for playing it. So I did just that at the start of this year. Since then I really haven't looked back. I've taught myself how to use the basics of Blender and I've also been taught some code writing by a few game developer buddies of mine so I can create and edit mods for it. As a result I'm now seriously considering a career change to work in the games industry. 

FS is an interesting game in that Giants Software (the German studio that makes it) brings out a new version every two years but then hands access to the game engine and editor over to the player community for them to develop content themselves. Giants then curate this content for free download. Almost all content for the game post release is free.

Some of the mods people make are truly incredible. Mods that link real world daily changing agricultural prices to the in game prices you can get for harvesting crops. Mods that will link the seasonal variations in air and soil temperature to the location of whatever farm you are currently working on. It really does do as accurate a simulation of farming as is possible, which is why its now being used in some agricultural colleges to teach farm management and why some farmers have commissioned accurate recreations of their farms in the game. The Guardian did an article about it recently here:
https://www.theguardian.com/games/2018/jul/24/meet-the-real-life-farmers-who-play-farming-simulator?fbclid=IwAR0VjN5lVdBy7OVWd-qxv925ly-aqZQ8YeLOOWGPi2kgyY7agPBa9g7Dn2M#comment-118720432

Anyway back to FS-19. The new version of the game is a big step up in terms of its graphics and general production. Giants software were initially a small studio of less than a dozen developers. Now they're almost 60 strong. The game isn't AAA of course but FS-19 really does look nice. Check out his short clip introducing one of the new American maps https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clvUejrz4rQ there's a lot of nice attention to detail creating an immersive game world.

There's lots of cool new features like milk delivery, egg production, cotton farming as well as contractual work. Here's a couple of short clips about field interactions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heM76XhtP3Q  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgRSa3OONrwi So all in all I think you should get Farming Simulator 19 when it comes out on the 20th of this month on console and PC. Its a fun, educational, relaxing and oddly meditative gaming experience thats not at all like Bloodborne.

Any questions just ask*

*sensible questions only

New Jack

Does it simulate taking umbrage with trespassers who lurch onto your property for a picnic?

mobias

Quote from: New Jack on November 10, 2018, 01:14:22 PM
Does it simulate taking umbrage with trespassers who lurch onto your property for a picnic?

No, but you can sell slurry direct to a wholesaler now. This wasn't a feature in previous games.

Spoon of Ploff

Dex Sawash

New Jack

Quote from: mobias on November 10, 2018, 01:19:12 PM
No, but you can sell slurry direct to a wholesaler now. This wasn't a feature in previous games.

Tbf that's an element of realism I can appreciate

seepage

Hey, you wanna make a bit 'o money? You should do what I did - get into Farming Simulator

Lemming

Is there a Die Hard scenario mode where terrorists take over the farm and you have to fight them off with an array of realistically-modelled farming tools? Maybe getting into a combine harvester chase at the end?

bgmnts

Quote from: Lemming on November 10, 2018, 05:35:28 PM
Is there a Die Hard scenario mode where terrorists take over the farm and you have to fight them off with an array of realistically-modelled farming tools? Maybe getting into a combine harvester chase at the end?

Yipee-ki-HAY muthafucka!

Hehe

Uncle TechTip

Are you ever tempted to spin forward the PC clock to make the wheat grow quicker?

mobias

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on November 10, 2018, 05:44:27 PM
Are you ever tempted to spin forward the PC clock to make the wheat grow quicker?

You can do that in game. You have the option to change how quickly time passes. Actually someone on another gaming forum posted the suggestion that more games should have the option to change how quickly you want the time of day to pass, when discussing RDR2's clock speed.

Custard

Do you get to hire your own staff?

Who is the sexiest member of your staff?

mobias

Quote from: Shameless Custard on November 10, 2018, 06:48:46 PM
Do you get to hire your own staff?

Yup you get to hire your own staff. Its random whether they're male or female though.

New Jack

Quote from: mobias on November 10, 2018, 07:08:00 PM
Yup you get to hire your own staff. Its random whether they're male or female though.

Nice, it'll piss off sexists too!

Replies From View

Why not just become a real farmer and actually achieve something with all the effort you are putting in?

Spoon of Ploff

Quote from: Replies From View on November 10, 2018, 10:23:38 PM
Why not just become a real farmer and actually achieve something with all the effort you are putting in?

Yes but what if he likes growing cows? He'd end up helping to kill the planet a little bit faster. Better then to grow them virtually.

mobias

Quote from: Replies From View on November 10, 2018, 10:23:38 PM

I think you'll find I can achieve rather a lot from the comfort of my sofa. Anyway being a real farmer seems far too much like hard work. As far as I'm concerned there's only one way to farm and thats sitting back on my sofa with a cat in my lap and glass of wine in my hand. Plus if I want a change of scene I can always go back to pretending I'm a late nineteenth century cowboy.

Mister Six

I know Replies' comment was facetious, but as the BBC article above points out, real farmers play this game because individually owned farms are dying out, and the ones that stick around don't usually make enough money to cover vast tracts of land or use top-flight equipment. Running a farm is tough, and not just because of the work you need to put in.

Blue Jam

Can you feed beefburgers to swans?

Slightly more serious question: Can you get yourself a sheepdog?

mobias

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 12, 2018, 12:25:22 AM

Slightly more serious question: Can you get yourself a sheepdog?

A new feature in FS-19 is a farm dog. Not sure if you can use it for rounding up sheep though.

Blue Jam

Ah yes- here she is!

https://youtu.be/Zd6u3SS5-XQ

Awwww... I'm currently getting a bit bored of Fallout 4. It's got a dog but he's just annoying, which coming from me is saying something.

Cuellar

Blue Jam

Sheep herding Battle Royale would be quite something.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mister Six on November 11, 2018, 02:34:02 PM
I know Replies' comment was facetious, but as the BBC article above points out, real farmers play this game because individually owned farms are dying out, and the ones that stick around don't usually make enough money to cover vast tracts of land or use top-flight equipment.

Similarly, schools are dying out because teachers have become addicted to playing Classroom Simulator 2019 every day.

boki

Do you have a field that backs on to a major road and if so can you pelt manure at twats in Audis?

boki

mobias

Quote from: boki on November 13, 2018, 03:35:46 PM
Do you have a field that backs on to a major road and if so can you pelt manure at twats in Audis?

You can genuinely do that yes.

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 12, 2018, 10:05:50 AM
Sheep herding Battle Royale would be quite something.

The game does have competitive and co-op multiplayer.

Farming Simulator does have its own multiplayer online championships where people travel from all over the world to Germany every Summer to take part in. Its a funny old world https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHMujqccYcI

Its really quite a big event https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9yuOWrnIHE&t=54s&index=137&list=WL

Bazooka

At the end of a hard days labor, can you return home to a horny farmers wife?

Depressed Beyond Tables

Quote from: Replies From View on November 12, 2018, 10:15:39 PM
Similarly, schools are dying out because teachers have become addicted to playing Classroom Simulator 2019 every day.

That's OK tho cos kids are playing it too.