Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 07:59:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Fanzines

Started by Head Gardener, November 10, 2018, 04:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

I hope there is love here for these old A4 things, I used to buy them regularly at the time so I have dug out a few today from the late 70's to the early 90's.
This one is from the summer of 1991 and focuses on the burgeoning pre-internet music scene in Milton Keynes, they are still quite amusing to read even if
you've never heard of any of the bands.

Chriddof

There's actually something of a fanzine revival going on at the moment, though they tend to look very different from the above - a lot slicker and professional generally, which isn't as fun.

I wonder about the "Alan Partridge" letter. Had the first series of On The Hour been on by then? Can't remember what month in 1991 it started.

Head Gardener

This one is from March 1979 and features live reviews of The Fall, SLF and was the month The Undertones played there,
I went to the gig which was one of the great nights at the Crauford pub - they were about to release their Jimmy, Jimmy single,
the stage was about a foot off floor level and understandably the place was rammed.

Small Man Big Horse

Cheers for these HG, I was never in to the fanzine scene when it came to music but I enjoyed reading those two a lot.

Head Gardener

thanks man, I have one more here but that will have to come tomorrow as it's footie now!

gib

Head Gardener

Quote'some weird sin' was one of the bands my mate Dennis started

the one with Kate Secker? whatever happened to her, do you know - she's seems to have vanished and yet was quite a cog in the MK scene for a while

gib

Quote from: Head Gardener on November 11, 2018, 07:00:00 PM
the one with Kate Secker? whatever happened to her, do you know - she's seems to have vanished and yet was quite a cog in the MK scene for a while

I don't think it's the same band then. These guys were from Essex.

gib

Got any London ones from the same era? I'd know most of the bands then.

Head Gardener

only MK ones really, I lived there from '63 to 2004

Head Gardener

in a punky minimalist sleeve, or maybe they just didn't have time to print something, this issue of Suspect Device is from April '79

at the end of the month the local pub played host to The Specials or rather The Special A.K.A. as they were still known then,
I purchased a copy of their debut 7" from Jerry Dammers who had a suitcase full of them in the bar!