Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:41:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Threatin

Started by justin_bennett, November 10, 2018, 05:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Jockice on November 14, 2018, 09:59:43 AM
I mean, why did Def Leppard become huge but Seventh Son or Candy Page didn't?

The latter two bands might have got signed up by the same label as Def Leppard (or a subsiduary) and then sat on for a few years doing nothing so there is no competition. Stadard practice in the old days of the 'shit business'.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on November 14, 2018, 11:48:18 AM
The latter two bands might have got signed up by the same label as Def Leppard (or a subsiduary) and then sat on for a few years doing nothing so there is no competition. Stadard practice in the old days of the 'shit business'.

Actually, Seventh Son are still going. They have their own website and everything. http://www.seventh-son.co.uk/
Candy Page were a few years later (they were just the second local rock band that came into my mind) but there seems to be absolutely no mention of them on the internet. Shame really as they were a very entertaining band, live at least.

boki

Very dangerous game, giving your band an Iron Maiden reference for a name.  There are probably sections of the Maiden following who still haven't forgiven Bruce Dickinson for making and appearing in the video for Wrathchild's 'Nukklear Rokket'.  At least Our Jezza's dodged that bullet (belt).

olliebean

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 14, 2018, 11:36:47 AMYeah, if he still carries on asserting that the fake stuff is real then he'll blow it, putting his hands up and admitting to the artifice is the only way he'll be able to claw back any shred of credibility and respect at this stage.

I reckon he might be clinically delusional, tbh. Why would he expect anyone to turn up to essentially unpublicised shows, unless he believes to at least some extent that his fake fanbase is real?

Icehaven

Quote from: olliebean on November 14, 2018, 02:44:52 PM
I reckon he might be clinically delusional, tbh. Why would he expect anyone to turn up to essentially unpublicised shows, unless he believes to at least some extent that his fake fanbase is real?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_cult

Jockice

Quote from: boki on November 14, 2018, 01:24:10 PM
Very dangerous game, giving your band an Iron Maiden reference for a name.  There are probably sections of the Maiden following who still haven't forgiven Bruce Dickinson for making and appearing in the video for Wrathchild's 'Nukklear Rokket'.  At least Our Jezza's dodged that bullet (belt).

To be fair to Seventh Son, they'd been going for several years before Maiden brought out their similarly-named album. I wouldn't be surprised if Bruce Dickinson, with his South Yorkshire connections, was aware of them.

I do, however, like how on their website, they claim their allegiance to the new wave of British heavy metal (NWOBHM). Now that's one bandwagon that sailed away a very long time ago.

Icehaven

Quote from: Jockice on November 14, 2018, 09:59:43 AM
In my local paper music journo days I saw literally dozens of bands playing this sort of stuff. None of them made it, even though some of them were very entertaining (and it isn't the sort of stuff I'd listen to voluntarily) so as in most of life 'making it' seems to be down to a combination of having a bit of talent, even more willpower and an awful lot of luck. I mean, why did Def Leppard become huge but Seventh Son or Candy Page didn't?

See also Anvil

Jockice

Quote from: Jockice on November 14, 2018, 12:38:20 PM
Candy Page were a few years later (they were just the second local rock band that came into my mind) but there seems to be absolutely no mention of them on the internet. Shame really as they were a very entertaining band, live at least.

I've managed to find one mention of them from about four years ago on a local forum, along with other acts like Cincinnati, Stateline, Cry, Cleopatra (not that one) and Lonely Hearts, whose closest brush with fame was when they were selected to appear as a band playing in the background in the Woolpack during an episode of Emmerdale Farm. I accompanied them and they seemed to think this would catapult them to success. During that day I managed to see the director's notes, in which they were described as a 'generic rock band,' which led me to think that they had been chosen not because of any unique talents but because they were nothing out of the ordinary. Lovely blokes though. So I didn't tell them that. Let them have their dreams.

Maybe someone should write a song about all the bands who failed to make it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00vul0Ok578

Jockice

Quote from: icehaven on November 14, 2018, 05:37:34 PM
See also Anvil

That is a great film. I went to see that with a couple of workmates, one of whom was a Weller obsessive who hated heavy metal but just decided to accompany us out of curiosity.. At the end he was practically standing on his seat cheering them on

JesusAndYourBush

He posted his statement on twitter, and it's disappointing...
https://twitter.com/JeredThreatin/status/1062770023872299008

Not very good is it. Reads like he's trying to capitalise on the situation but not got the chops to do it.

MoonDust

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 14, 2018, 07:04:38 PM

Classic "Haha I meant to do that!" when you miss the ball in PE and all the popular sporty kids laugh at you.

alan nagsworth

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on November 14, 2018, 07:09:14 PM
Not very good is it. Reads like he's trying to capitalise on the situation but not got the chops to do it.

Which is how basically everything else he's done in his "career" has come across. Bit of a tit, all told.

sevendaughters

oooof, tagged in Joe Rogan, I'M OUT

PaulTMA

Not long now until Dave Grohl invites him up onstage

Neomod

Oh dear. No Jered, you didn't turn an empty room into anything.

Blown it.

olliebean

He should've done a Trump, and boasted about the biggest crowds in rock history.

Icehaven

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on November 14, 2018, 07:04:38 PM

This is why it's just as well I don't do Twitter as it'd really annoy me; I scrolled down the comments thinking 'wow, they really go straight for the jugular' before realising 4 of the first 5 comments are actually by the same person, having to post repeatedly to make all their points presumably due to the character limit. I bet half of all "Twitter storms" are only a handful of people making dozens of posts because they can't get all their terribly important arguments across in whatever number of words it is.

Neomod

Ahhh, do you see. I am the puppet master. I mastered my own downfall.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/jered_threatin

QuoteAs he explained his tactics, Jered was relaxed, confident - not the slightest bit embarrassed. But that's because he had something he was eager to show me - a series of emails that he said he sent out under yet another alias, a Gmail account belonging to "E. Evieknowsit".

"URGENT: News tip," the subject line read.

"The musician going by the name Threatin is a total fake. He faked a record label, booking agent, facebook likes, and an online fanbase to book a European tour. ZERO people are coming to the shows and it is clear that his entire operation is fake," he wrote, including links to all his phoney websites.

"Please don't let this man fake his way to fame... Please Expose him."

The first such message he showed me was dated 2 November, a day into the Breaking the World Tour, and a week before the first news reports were published. He says he sent the messages out to a database of reporters' emails he keeps in a massive Excel spreadsheet on his laptop

Then talk of feature films, documentaries, new bookings.

They'll have to dress it up a bit as at heart it's still a pretty mundane story with a weird ending.

purlieu

If that is all true, then he's cannier than a lot of people gave him credit for. He's undoubtedly turned down interviews and then finally just done one to bring more attention to it and ensure the market isn't flooded with the same old questions and answers people could get bored of quickly, so he's obviously calculating all of his moves.

JesusAndYourBush

Quotea Gmail account belonging to "E. Evieknowsit".

Around Nov 18 a very short video popped up on youtube from that account, Threatin doing a bit of shredding/twiddly stuff.  If was obviously shot by his wife.  There was a comment of "I'll answer questions if you be nice" and the video was deleted a couple of days later.

He also did an interview for Rolling Stone.  It makes sense to only go for a couple of big ones rather than accepting the interview requests he undoubtedly received from every tom dick and harry.
https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/culture-features/threatin-metal-tour-fake-ticket-sales-hoax-767580/

Icehaven

Still doesn't explain how it was all paid for. "Money squirelled away from flipping burgers" doesn't sound remotely plausible, particularly when you've got to pay rent on a large house with a studio too.

Anyway this ties in a bit with what we've been talking about in the "cultural void" thread, how fragmented previously shared knowledge/experiences have become. 20 years ago there's no way he could have pulled this off because most of the venues and others involved who were duped would never have believed someone they'd never even heard of could have sold loads of records, won awards and have a large fanbase, but they accepted it now partly because we're all more used to self-contained internet phenomena that can be huge without ever fetching up in the mainstream media and pass us by simply by not appearing in whatever limited cultural channels we use. I remember the disbelief I felt on first reading about Vloggers who have huge mobs turning up for their personal appearances, have millions of followers and are more famous than most pop or TV stars. I couldn't even believe it was a thing, never mind that all these people I'd never heard of were supposedly mega famous, but it's just because I'm not looking in that direction and I'm not their target eyeballs, so to speak.

JesusAndYourBush

A year to the day, he played the gig at Camden Underworld.

https://www.loudersound.com/amp/features/heart-problems-and-art-problems-jered-threatin-one-year-on
QuoteA black sheet stretches across the front of the stage, concealing what lies behind from a small, curious group of onlookers, and a sizeable team of men with professional video equipment. 

The PA crackles into life, and an audio collage is played, with samples of news broadcasts about the singer cut together in rapidfire fashion. "He has made himself more famous than anyone else in rock music right now", says one disembodied voice. "This guy's an absolute genius," asserts another. "Jered's done an outstanding job," states Donald Trump.

The music starts. It's the recorded version of Threatin's Impulse. And the curtain drops to reveal... three mannequins. With bald heads, "Fake Band" t-shirts and guitars slung over plastic shoulders, they rotate eerily from left to right and back again. As Fade Into Never kicks in they're joined by the real band, wearing "I'm Not Real" shirts.

Some of it's unintentionally comical. Jered gets his hair caught up in his bassist's tuning pegs, and then his own. At one point the backdrop begins to topple, and someone has to scurry on to provide running repairs. One of the mannequins begins to fall apart.

Some of it's plain weird. There are entire songs where Jered mimes the vocal, despite no singing being broadcast through the PA. Other times singing can be heard, but it's on tape, and Jered holds the mic up to one of the mannequin's mouths. He brings a blow-up doll onto the stage, which is wearing a BBC News t-shirt, and makes it fellate him before tossing it aside.

Some of it's good. Threatin can certainly play guitar, and his voice – when he chooses to actually sing – is distinctive.

At the end, Living Is Dying plays over the sound system. Jered brings out a picture frame – like the one in his promo shots – and puts it around his face, before throwing it to one side and proceeding to lay waste to the set. He pulls the Threatin banners down, dismantles the drum kit, then tears off a couple of dummy heads and offers them to people in the audience.

THE PERFORMANCE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMCKQ2uqEfU