Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:16:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Homecoming (Julia Roberts series, directed by Sam Esmail)

Started by Ja'moke, November 10, 2018, 10:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ja'moke

I'm six episodes into this and really enjoying it. It's so refreshing to have a modern TV (well, Amazon) drama with 30-minute episodes; especially after recent bloated series like Haunting of Hill House and Sharp Objects. It actually leaves you wanting more, in a good way, rather than feeling exhausted by the end of an episode.

For the unfamiliar, it's a psychological thriller, based on the Homecoming podcast by Eli Horowitz and Micah Bloomberg (which I've never listened to, so I came into the series with very little knowledge of what it was about). Sam Esmail, of Mr. Robot fame, is in the director's chair, and he does a fantastic job; there are some beautiful shots in this thing.

Julia Roberts is the lead, in her first major TV role, and she plays her role really well, very convincing. There's a bunch of people in this that I keep recognising from other shows, a couple of Boardwalk Empire alum (Bobby Cannavale is hilarious in this), Shameless US, and Frankie Shaw, from the very underrated Smilf, also has a small role.

Oh, and the soundtrack is superb.

Not quite sure where it's heading, but yes, six episodes in, good stuff.

olliebean

I don't really have anything to add to this, other than to heartily second the recommendation. I've only watched the first episode so far, and found it utterly engaging - really looking forward to the rest.

Replies From View

TrenterPercenter

This deserves more attention it is wonderfully sinister.

olliebean

Are they doing another series of this? I decided at the time to defer listening to series 2 of the podcast in case they did, but it's been over a year and the thread bump has reminded me I still haven't listened to it.

<Edit> Just read this on Wikipedia:

QuoteThe series was given an initial series order for two seasons, the second of which is currently in development. The second season will deviate from the podcast and feature a new story and characters.

So I guess it's safe to go ahead with the podcast, then.