Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:47:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Worst rated b&b. Four in a bed

Started by Emma Raducanu, November 11, 2018, 09:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emma Raducanu

Often end up watching some of this. Usually I go on TripAdvisor to see what real people think of the places.

Yesterday, I was shocked how badly reviewed a place was, where the owners had the audacity to appear on television and subsequently come last. They didn't seem that odd but based on management responses to criticism on TripAdvisor, they seem to almost take pleasure in people's upset.

Was the Bridge hotel in Scunthorpe. Anyone else see it? On the programme there was loads of rubbish and a used condom in the carpark. Check out their reviews, place sounds like a monumental shithole.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g503982-d1132884-Reviews-The_New_Bridge_Hotel_Scunthorpe-Scunthorpe_Lincolnshire_England.html

buttgammon

Oh lovely! This is one of those ones where the owner posts catty replies to bad reviews!

QuoteHi Mr Latham

Thank you for taking time to give us a "Review"...... reading between the lines I guess you didn't enjoy your stay with us:)
If you had any complaints, why did you not take them up with a member of staff or management?.....Too many people hold back on complaints and unless they are brought to our attention there is nothing we can do or make changed.

I totally agree with you...it is an experience to stay with us....even more so once the re-furb has been done which will be in the next six months.

We now have a nice lounge area for guest to chill out in, have a snack, watch some TV or listen to music, you can even do your ironing in there.

It's a good job we have plenty of returning guest on a weekly/monthly basis....they must enjoy the experience too. I can forward you email addresses if you wish

Someone's never heard of GDPR...

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DolphinFace on November 11, 2018, 09:25:30 AM
Often end up watching some of this. Usually I go on TripAdvisor to see what real people think of the places.

Yesterday, I was shocked how badly reviewed a place was, where the owners had the audacity to appear on television and subsequently come last. They didn't seem that odd but based on management responses to criticism on TripAdvisor, they seem to almost take pleasure in people's upset.

Was the Bridge hotel in Scunthorpe. Anyone else see it? On the programme there was loads of rubbish and a used condom in the carpark. Check out their reviews, place sounds like a monumental shithole.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g503982-d1132884-Reviews-The_New_Bridge_Hotel_Scunthorpe-Scunthorpe_Lincolnshire_England.html

Get over to "this is Dan Bell" and his Another Dirty Room series for real (US) motel deso.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Glorious

Keep them coming

I think there's one in Doncaster that's effectively partly a halfway house.

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 11, 2018, 02:34:07 PM
Get over to "this is Dan Bell" and his Another Dirty Room series for real (US) motel deso.

Thanks for the tip, these guys are great.

MuteBanana

I remember this B&B show in 2005/2006 that was great.

Ferris

This is a television show? How do I watch this? Sounds right up my alley. Going to google it now.

Edit: these reviews are amazing. It's hard to believe this is being reviewed in 2018, not 1976 with John Cleese manning the reception. I think the purest desolation is to be found in the positive review. Just glorious. Thanks for sharing.

Double edit: I nearly died laughing. I have no idea why I find the reviews for this hotel so amusing. The cast of characters ("Mick", "Dee" and the surgery on her arm and it's effects on breakfast etc), the constantly shifting times for food, the personal attacks on any cunt expecting breakfast in a hotel when staff are difficult to find, the admissions that yes staff are often grumpy and the place is a desolate shithole but we're trying (a bit) you know, the idea of someone going to Scunthorpe with laughably low expectations and still being horrified. It is all amazing. Thank you for that link.

Icehaven

I once posted a false bad review of a hotel I saw on Four in a Bed because the owner seemed like a complete twat. I wasn't offensive, just silly really (it was in Scotland so I said we were woken up by bagpipe playing at 4am every night, that kind of thing) but my then partner actually panicked when I mentioned it and said I'd get sued and all sorts. A week or so later I got home from work to be greeted by him fuming and saying there was a letter from Tripadvisor for me, so I opened it and it was...a window sticker they were sending to all their contributors to say thanks.

lgpmachine

QuoteWedding reception
Absolutely disgraceful , roof leaked very badly ,was told it had Been repaired alot of times. I had to put the wedding cake box on the stairs to catch the water so nobody slipped said they didn't have a bucket , freezing cold ,most people kept there coats on, beer pumps stopped working bout 9.30 to 10pm so was serving bottled beer at the price of £3.60 , no pop for people that didn't drink , had no change so couldn't even give change for £10 note , no toilet paper . Buffet was disgusting saying the least the cocktail sausages were still sat in there tray of fat they had been cooked in . Bride and groom stayed the night and all they could smell was cigarette smoke . Left the building without breakfast and went somewhere else for that , for the price of what they payed and saved hard it was a disgrace x never again

One for the desolation thread.

lgpmachine

QuoteThere was a PIGLET on the roof terrace (apparently the owners pet).

QuoteAs for the piglet, yes she was mine and we have sadly recently lost her due to her having faults in her kidneys, but thank you for mentioning it on a site i am going to continuously be using to keep reminding me of this terrible loss... i don't really understand how this affected your stay? as pigs are one of the most cleanest animals you can have in a hotel or around anyone with allergies (fact).

That's me done for the afternoon.

gmoney

Quote from: lgpmachine on November 12, 2018, 01:49:08 PM
One for the desolation thread.

Ha! I love that they only had booze.

"Did you order any soft drinks?"

"No"

"Bottle water or anything?"

"No, why?"

jobotic

I'd be more than happy with a piglet on the roof terrace.

Emma Raducanu

Couldn't argue with the proprietors' logic when someone complained their room smelled of smoke by responding "well yes, the smoking area is just outside your room". Lucky them.

Bazooka

QuoteIt's a good job we have plenty of returning guest on a weekly/monthly basis

I'm trying to conjure up a realistic scenario where somebody returns to a B&B on a weekly basis.

hummingofevil

Quote from: Bazooka on November 12, 2018, 03:08:40 PM
I'm trying to conjure up a realistic scenario where somebody returns to a B&B on a weekly basis.

Builders, contractors, the-recently-released-from-prison and Manchester City manager Sven Goran Erickson are all examples of people who might live in hotels for extended periods of time.

turnstyle

The worst review is the one where they say that their wedding reception was RUINED....but then they hired the venue again anyway for a christening (also ruined).

MATE.

Ferris

I am still laughing at these. What an opener here:

QuoteDo not be fooled by the derelict look on the outside,it gets worse inside.

And the inevitable response

QuoteAs to the Reception area smelling of tobacco this is due to guests standing at the front door to smoke......it does not come from staff living quarters as there are no staff quarters on the ground floor. Guests also smoke on the flat roof on the first floor by your room.

The front door is in the process of being replaced this week, due to a guest kicking the door panel when he could not get in late one evening. I put "Gaffer" Tape over it to stop the draughed!!

Fantastic.

lgpmachine

Quote from: turnstyle on November 12, 2018, 03:39:14 PM
The worst review is the one where they say that their wedding reception was RUINED....but then they hired the venue again anyway for a christening (also ruined).

MATE.

I saw that one.  Utterly baffling, especially as they were still owed money by the hotel by way of compensation for the wedding fiasco.  Had to laugh at this though:

QuoteThe day before the christening myself & my mother in law took down a cake & balloons & also to ensure that everything would be OK as guest from the wedding would be coming with bad thoughts in mind. i wanted to make sure that no one would have anything to complain about. when we got there we was told the couple were on holiday but were due back that evening so we agreed to return around 18:30hrs.

when we did return at half 6 the place was locked up & looking through the window nothing had been done to get the place ready, after banging on the doors & windows a guest finally let us in & then i had to search the entire building for a member of staff.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

This sounds like an ideal destination for a CaB meet.

AsparagusTrevor

QuoteThere was a PIGLET on the roof terrace
Sounds crazy, no?

non capisco

The defensive replies from "Dee" are amazing.

QuoteYour boyfriend has now found "hairs" in his breakfast where in the letter you stated he had found A Hair!

Yeah, stop splitting hairs, it was just A Hair!

Ferris

Quote from: non capisco on November 14, 2018, 12:44:39 AM
The defensive replies from "Dee" are amazing.

Yeah, stop splitting hairs, it was just A Hair!

Caught the customer in a web of their own lies! You told me, the service provider, that you only found one hair in your breakfast and suddenly that's not good enough! Piss off back to your smoke-filled room, I have an unwell pig to look after (it's on the roof).

imitationleather

Are there any responses from B&Bs on all of Tripadvisor that don't make the person writing them sound completely unhinged? There's the ones that are just a template and so generic that there was no point them bothering, but the individually-authored ones are never anything other than a car crash in my extensive experience of reading Tripadvisor reviews.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

The Google Reviews on The Black Prince, the most towny of towny pubs in Leeds, the epitome of a 3 star, nothing offensive or inoffensive let's do everything ok fizz palace are each individually replied to and anything less than 5 stars receives a touchy remark from the owner. I bet they'll even reply to this post.

I dislike how little 2 and 3 stars are used on Google. Between a 4-6/10 experience is fucking commonplace. People are too bipolar and only go OTT enthusiastic or outright shit on places..

QDRPHNC

Surely because people who've had neither a wonderful nor a terrible experience are less likely to go the trouble to leaving feedback.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 14, 2018, 07:04:43 PM
Surely because people who've had neither a wonderful nor a terrible experience are less likely to go the trouble to leaving feedback.

Yes that's what I'm getting at. More mediocre reviews would assist the world.