Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:16:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Widows 2018

Started by TrenterPercenter, November 11, 2018, 04:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

No thread for this yet unless i'm mistaken but this is a little corkers of a film.

I'm not a fan of heist movies (as they are usually over styled claptrap) this is different though.  Really great performance by the cast (who have been chosen quite meticulously in the main I thought), believable, real characters (well relative to what you would usually get).

Enjoyed it a lot.

4/5

gmoney

haven't like a version since XP.

It was really enjoyable. The only problem I have is the time wasted on Farrell/Duvall. Their subplot has little relevance to the actual story and if they'd written those characters out and spent more time on the women it would have felt tighter. Davis and Elizabeth Debicki were great but Erivo and Rodriguez got a little screwed over by the film's desire to see Duvall do quite a bad Trump. Henry and Kaluuya were superb, especially Kaluuya in the bowling alley sequence.

surreal

Pretty much agree with the above - the movie dragged with the political sub-plot.  I could see why it was there but they too up way too much time with it.  I'm wondering if this is a Gillian Flynn thing as I felt Gone Girl had similar issues, much as I liked that movie too.

Also, how old is Liam Neeson now, mid-late 60s? because he could surely pass for 15-20 years younger, he's just not aging.

Kaluuya was fucking terrifying as always

KennyMonster

Was I supposed to be rooting for anyone in particular?

I wonder if the politics subplot was an invention for the film? I haven't seen the original series but if it was in that it would have to have been quite different.

Sebastian Cobb

Looks alright but I doubt it'll beat Set it Off.

Wet Blanket

I found it dragged in places but had its moments. McQueen's obviously reined himself in stylistically for a more mainstream audience, but it was his more idiosyncratic choices that have stayed with me, like the camera staying outside the car during the conversation between Farrell and his assistant, where you watch the city become more affluent as they drive to his house.

There seemed to be too many characters squeezed into a small space (probably the result of its miniseries origins) so not everyone got enough screen time - I really wanted more of Kaluuya and Brian Tyree Henree. Similarly, the hairdresser/driver more or less came out of nowhere just to fulfil that plot role.

SPOILERS FOLLOW:

Likewise the race element and the fact that the son had been the victim of death by cop didn't have much room to be expanded on. 

Plot point - Robert Duvall's assistant witnessed three black clad female figures, the tallest one of whom got shot. That same night, when Duvall was murdered, a tall woman, former wife of a known gangster and dressed in black turned up at a hospital with gunshot wounds. It wouldn't be too hard to connect her to the robbery would it? Particularly when Viola Davis, wife of another known gangster, is suddenly giving away bags of money to city types to build schools.

Didn't they disguise themselves specifically so they could be mistaken for men?

Wet Blanket

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on November 13, 2018, 01:34:49 PM
Didn't they disguise themselves specifically so they could be mistaken for men?

They had the dalek voice things in their mouths I suppose. Even with the disguise element, the former mayor has just been gunned down in his own home. There's going to be funds put into that investigation. She's left blood on his carpet and the bullet in her would be traceable to his gun.

Also the bloke who was being blackmailed into giving up the codes will know they did it, and murdering someone trumps cheating on your wife - presumably he could shop them in.

Quote from: Wet Blanket on November 13, 2018, 02:43:04 PM
They had the dalek voice things in their mouths I suppose. Even with the disguise element, the former mayor has just been gunned down in his own home. There's going to be funds put into that investigation. She's left blood on his carpet and the bullet in her would be traceable to his gun.

Also the bloke who was being blackmailed into giving up the codes will know they did it, and murdering someone trumps cheating on your wife - presumably he could shop them in.

The blackmailed guy. It's not the first time he was blackmailed. If he went to the police it would come out that he'd previously given codes to Neeson. His business would ruined and he'd definitely serve time as an accomplice to all the previous crimes. I know I wouldn't take that risk. The bullet would only really be an issue if the hospital kept the bullet after removing it. I suppose there's also the possibility the bullet passed straight through so there'd be no bullet to remove, just the wound to treat. But I do think the gunshot was completely unnecessary, especially when straight after they were hijacked and then the Neeson shooting. It felt like packing too much in.

zomgmouse

Quote from: worldsgreatestsinner on November 12, 2018, 08:16:28 PM
I wonder if the politics subplot was an invention for the film? I haven't seen the original series but if it was in that it would have to have been quite different.

Yeah there was none of that in the original series and it instead put the emphasis on the police activity of which there was surprisingly incredibly little in the film and I'm not sure if it was better for it.

I feel like the film tried to do a million things and didn't really give any of them any time to breathe. But there were some fabulous moments.