Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 10:31:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Peterloo (Mike Leigh, 2018)

Started by sevendaughters, November 11, 2018, 10:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sevendaughters

Saw this yesterday in Chester. Haven't stopped talking like a professional Northern stereotype since. Disliked it a lot, from the cap touching condescension of the poor Reformists, to the revue pantomime of the judges (particularly Vincent Franklin from The Thick of It), and the ill-judged portrayal of the massacre itself (there are moments that come off comedic). Someone talk me out of my dislike for this. 

rasta-spouse

Haven't seen this.

But. I've wondered how he incorporates his improv/acting techniques with historical source material. It seems incompatible, and that's why Mr Turner was Mr Awful (or to be more specific, not Mike Leigh enough). 

rasta-spouse

what about Bleak Moments bro? he's in his wheelhouse on day 1 and he's crushing it.

mjwilson

I don't remember comedic moments during the massacre, although to be fair that could just be my memory these days.
Needed a bit more Maxine Peake, I thought, and not quite so many speeches in rooms, but generally speaking I liked it.

sevendaughters

Quote from: mjwilson on November 12, 2018, 07:08:43 AM
I don't remember comedic moments during the massacre, although to be fair that could just be my memory these days.
Needed a bit more Maxine Peake, I thought, and not quite so many speeches in rooms, but generally speaking I liked it.

the bit where the old woman recognises the soldier that's about to kill her came across a bit Dinnerladies to me.

Small Man Big Horse

I haven't seen this yet but I'm going to have to as my uncle plays one of the magistrates. It's bleak to hear that it's not very good though.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Pearly-Dewdrops Drops on November 12, 2018, 01:12:22 AM
Mr. Turner is his only good movie.

I have always thought that his films set in the past (Topsy Turvy, Mr Turner, Vera Drake) are far superior to the ones set in the present day, which are very variable and some of which are terrible. I'm quite looking forward to Peterloo.

Mini

Quote from: mjwilson on November 12, 2018, 07:08:43 AM

Agreed, I thought it was well done but about an hour too long. Here's my review if anyone's interested.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: sevendaughters on November 11, 2018, 10:06:53 PM
Saw this yesterday in Chester. Haven't stopped talking like a professional Northern stereotype since. Disliked it a lot, from the cap touching condescension of the poor Reformists, to the revue pantomime of the judges (particularly Vincent Franklin from The Thick of It), and the ill-judged portrayal of the massacre itself (there are moments that come off comedic). Someone talk me out of my dislike for this.

No, you are right, it is an absolutely awful film, morally simplistic yet reactionary, the script is cliched, the performances in many cases are unbelievably bad, if it had been made by a first time director rather than a previously capable one it would be given the reviews it actually deserves.

Peru

Quote from: Funcrusher on November 12, 2018, 10:08:29 AM
I have always thought that his films set in the past (Topsy Turvy, Mr Turner, Vera Drake) are far superior to the ones set in the present day, which are very variable and some of which are terrible. I'm quite looking forward to Peterloo.

I think the exact opposite, funnily enough. I think that on point Leigh is one of the best directors we've got, but give him a period piece and his talent seems to desert him. I thought that the gulf in quality between Another Year and Mr Turner was staggering.

I think that much of this probably has to do with his process of improvisation and character invention. Firstly, when you've got a substantially higher budget (for a period film) you've got less time to get that element workshopped and secondly he's dealing with at least some real characters, which inhibits the process somewhat.

Funcrusher

Quote from: Peru on November 12, 2018, 06:58:01 PM
I think the exact opposite, funnily enough. I think that on point Leigh is one of the best directors we've got, but give him a period piece and his talent seems to desert him. I thought that the gulf in quality between Another Year and Mr Turner was staggering.

I think that much of this probably has to do with his process of improvisation and character invention. Firstly, when you've got a substantially higher budget (for a period film) you've got less time to get that element workshopped and secondly he's dealing with at least some real characters, which inhibits the process somewhat.

Obviously I think the reverse, although I would say Another Year is one of his better contemporary films. I know that the whole thing about the improvisation aspect of his films is much talked about, but for me they often still seem to end up with these typical Mike Leigh type characters and performances, which are a bit mannered and caricatured.

sevendaughters

Peterloo felt a bit more 'written' than I usually get from a Leigh production. Some writerly turns of phrase, anyway, and a fair few cliches.

I just feel he was more at home on television as a director. Nuts in May was so at home in its low-keyness. A lot of dialogue in his films just irritates me, like this scene in Happy-Go-Lucky. I adore Sally Hawkins but I want to tear my own flesh off near the end of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pqj6w0yW_Xc

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Peru on November 12, 2018, 06:58:01 PM

According to my Uncle he still did a lot of workshopping and improvisation, he worked on the film for a couple of weeks and only ended up with one short speech in it, but apparently a huge amount of other footage was also shot.

Peru

Quote from: Funcrusher on November 12, 2018, 07:04:11 PM
for me they often still seem to end up with these typical Mike Leigh type characters and performances, which are a bit mannered and caricatured.

You see, I don't mind this - those kinds of characters are a hallmark of his work for me. I'm not saying this is your position, but there's sometimes a tendency to lump Leigh in with Ken Loach in this general 'social-realisty' way, when his films are actually very heavily mannered and structured right from the start - Bleak Moments has an obvious debt to certain 60s British theatre in that it's actually quite unrealistic in places.

Howj Begg

Quote from: Talulah, really! on November 12, 2018, 11:42:19 AM
No, you are right, it is an absolutely awful film, morally simplistic yet reactionary, the script is cliched, the performances in many cases are unbelievably bad, if it had been made by a first time director rather than a previously capable one it would be given the reviews it actually deserves.

Really sad to hear this. I've yet to see Mr Turner, but I think Topsy Turvey is superb, and excellent at avoiding period drama cliches. Oh well. I'll still see it but I'm armed with disappointment.

sevendaughters

Mrs Sevendaughters saw Peterloo with me and didn't like it, but she did like Mr. Turner.

TrenterPercenter

Just seen it.

Oh dear.

Did anyone think it just might have been a little overacted and under scripted/developed. 

Awful direction, real shame as the history is important and deserved better.

Head Gardener

Peterloo, couldn't escape but I wanted to

MortSahlFan

I've liked every movie of his EXCEPT Mr. Turner... My favorites are "Naked" and "Nuts in May", but the others are very good as well. I'll probably watch this movie when I can't think of anything else.

zomgmouse

Saw this today. The massacre scene was really good and maybe one or two other bits but otherwise it felt really slapdash. Editing and pace were messy. A real step down from Leigh. Almost felt like it needed more of a runtime to fit in everything it wanted to say. As it stood it didn't all get into place.

For the record I loved Mr. Turner.